Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Southland Off-Season News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Southland Off-Season News

I know there's been some changes at several Southland schools this off-season, be it coaching changes, personnel additions/subtractions, facility enhancements, etc. Who's doing what? Getting better? Worse? Staying the same?

Re: Southland Off-Season News

Quote Originally Posted by lionsrking2 View Post
    I know there's been some changes at several Southland schools this off-season, be it coaching changes, personnel additions/subtractions, facility enhancements, etc. Who's doing what? Getting better? Worse? Staying the same?
    The pedigrees of our new coaches look good. Whether we will get better or not remains to be determined. There is a lot of optimism here but I am withholding judgement until I see the product on the field in the next couple of years.

Hopefully, it will be like basketball with the new coach. A lot of new faces on the team and a slow progression of getting better since the season began. I am anxious to see what kind of new players they can recruit. Basketball is starting to be fun to watch again. Hopefully, football will be the same.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    The pedigrees of our new coaches look good. Whether we will get better or not remains to be determined. There is a lot of optimism here but I am withholding judgement until I see the product on the field in the next couple of years.

Hopefully, it will be like basketball with the new coach. A lot of new faces on the team and a slow progression of getting better since the season began. I am anxious to see what kind of new players they can recruit. Basketball is starting to be fun to watch again. Hopefully, football will be the same.

Doc
    I like your new staff. Good track record and taking over a program that doesn't need much to get rolling again. I have no doubt the Cowboys will be successful. I also like what you're doing in hoops with the new facility and coaching staff. And obviously Justin Hill is doing a great job with the baseball program.

We took a step back in 2018 adjusting to a new coaching staff, but I'm hopeful we'll see improvement in 2019. The schedule is tough, with four opponents who made the 2018 FCS playoffs, plus Ole Miss, but we've added some pieces and made some changes on the staff which should help us. Former McNeese head coach, Lance Guidry takes over as defensive coordinator and has a good track record in that role, plus we added a defensive line coach (Raymond Monica) with eight years of FBS DC experience and 13 years experience as a D-II head coach. We can't get much worse on defense than we were in '18.

Offensively, I like the addition of Arkansas transfer QB, Cole Kelley. Frank Scelfo has a history running pro style offense and developing QBs and Kelley fits what he likes to do. We now have three guys on the roster who have started games at QB at the FBS level, two in the SEC. It'll be an interesting battle this spring with Chason Virgil and JC transfer Mason Schucker. Lorenzo Nunez has made the permanent move to WR. We'll see how it unfolds.

Last edited by lionsrking2; January 23rd, 2019 at 01:47 AM.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

We have been excited with some of our new recruits; both transfers and HS signees, but we have also had a few transfer out and now the final clarification that our DC is moving to TX St. It will make the next few months interesting for us. Do we continue improvement? Is it a brief hiccup that causes a little plateau before the improvement curve moves up again? I am not sure we know. I think I felt we were finally getting some stability but I am not as positive.
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    We have been excited with some of our new recruits; both transfers and HS signees, but we have also had a few transfer out and now the final clarification that our DC is moving to TX St. It will make the next few months interesting for us. Do we continue improvement? Is it a brief hiccup that causes a little plateau before the improvement curve moves up again? I am not sure we know. I think I felt we were finally getting some stability but I am not as positive.
    With the new stadium and Dorrel in place, I see continued progress on ACU's horizon. Hiccups are a part of it but the components are there to win in the SLC and the FCS over the long term.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

Sam getting athletic facilities updates. Renovations to the field house among them.... https://www.itemonline.com/sports/sa...7dcaaaa95.html
    The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    Sam getting athletic facilities updates. Renovations to the field house among them.... https://www.itemonline.com/sports/sa...7dcaaaa95.html
    Nice!👍

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Indeed, very nice!
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    McNeese State

Very nice (and it's about time )
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw