Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Bucknell HC Joe Susan steps down

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Absent an almost immediate hire, recruiting will be hamstrung.
    They signed 11 in December and probably have another half dozen on the short list. Not much ham-stringing at this point.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Perhaps a bit of a surprise - He's "only" 63 and could have continued for a few years. and Not many people in Buffalo give a crap about what goes on in Christy Mathewson. It would be a real surprise, under the circumstances, if he was "asked to leave." Lack of success in football is a time honored tradition in Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    They signed 11 in December and probably have another half dozen on the short list. Not much ham-stringing at this point.
    Perhaps not but given status of the program, they need players who can help not just bodies.

First Class FCS Ruler

Since I know just about as much as everyone else here I will guess about events too. It has been obvious that Susan hasn't had the tools to turn the ship, whatever his commitment to the program and the institution. Moving him into the administration will shore up the new, young AD (a college football player himself). Beyond the field, I suspect that he had begun to slip in fundraising after what appeared to be a bunch of initial success. Football remains successful relative to other sports in direct fundraising campaigns among alumni and parents annually, more than basketball. Basketball has a many other revenue streams.

I don't post much about football on the 'Bucknell' board. I have heard the crickets and the basketball advocates just dismissing the program. It is a basketball board. All other sports get short-shrift. I believe that football belongs on campus and that the program and the student-athletes that it attracts are a vital part of the University. Lewisburg HS has outdrawn Bucknell in its stadium for over forty years. That isn't a useful metric here.

The trustees should directly speak to the commitment of keeping the program to stifle the nattering. It is intolerable that any program is allowed to languish. Bucknell, for its frugality in the era of scholarships (across the board), prides itself on its level of competition. Institutional commitment has got to be addressed.

Personally, I hope we keep a decent defense and find some vision on offense. We also sent a couple of guys to the NFL over the past two years. Good things can and do happen in the Bucknell football program.

Bring on Greg Schiano.
    Last edited by BucBisonAtLarge; January 16th, 2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Because I edit

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by BucBisonAtLarge View Post
    Since I know just about as much as everyone else here I will guess about events too. It has been obvious that Susan hasn't had the tools to turn the ship, whatever his commitment to the program and the institution. Moving him into the administration will shore up the new, young AD (a college football player himself). Beyond the field, I suspect that he had begun to slip in fundraising after what appeared to be a bunch of initial success. Football remains successful relative to other sports in direct fundraising campaigns among alumni and parents annually, more than basketball. Basketball has a many other revenue streams.

I don't post much about football on the 'Bucknell' board. I have heard crickets enough and the basketball advocates just dismissing the program. It is a basketball board. All other sports get short-shrift. I believe that football belongs on campus and that the program and the student-athletes that it attracts are a vital part of the University. Lewisburg HS has outdrawn Bucknell in its stadium for over forty years. That isn't a useful metric here.

The trustees should directly speak to the commitment of keeping the program to stifle the nattering. It is intolerable that any program is allowed to languish. Bucknell, for its frugality in the era of scholarships (across the board), prides itself on its level of competition. Institutional commitment has got to be addressed.

Personally, I hope we keep a decent defense and find some vision on offense. We also sent a couple of guys to the NFL over the past two years. Good things can and do happen in the Bucknell football program. Bring on Greg Schiano.
    My daughter went to Bucknell in the late 1990's and I used to laugh when I went out there that if the school just spent a little less on landscaping and horticulture and added that to football, they might be able to do something! Even with the stadium on campus, there is no 'juice' with the students. Don't know the answer.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

First Class FCS Ruler

Just how much juice is there in the PL student bodies, period?

AGS FCS Champion

Just how much juice is there in the PL student bodies, period?
    A good number of 'Gate students turned out for the playoff game against JMU. They certainly don't flock like the old days but give the current student a reason to have some beers, chance to be seen and heard and they'll make an appearance.

Since I finally found my way to the Bucknell board there's been some dialogue regarding football and the state of the program which is good. Any word on potential candidates? Maybe a disgruntled Lehigh candidate who might have gotten "overlooked" for Gilmore? Penn State has a couple of guys on their staff with PL ties.

I feel like this is critical moment for Bison pigskin. For the sake of the league it would be nice for Bucknell to have a legitimate pulse. They've NEVER been to the playoffs.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by crusader11 View Post
    Why is this "retirement" happening now, and not a week or two following the conclusion of Bucknell's season?
    Prob didnt want to force this long timer out before holidays I imagine and maybe then he and/or AD was on vacation in a sunny clime? Now back and fricking, um, retired...fired!

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Greg Schiano
    I just wonder if the timing of this "retirement", and Schiano's availability as of January 8th, are related.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

First Class FCS Ruler

Bring on Greg Schiano.

My new tagline.