Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Heads Rolling, Staff Shake-up at Lehigh?

I still can't believe you guys hired TG out of all of the possible coaches to hire.....

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

Quote Originally Posted by UNHWildcat18 View Post
    I still can't believe you guys hired TG out of all of the possible coaches to hire.....
    You are not the only one

Lehigh and Lafayette now have two coaches with more questions than answers. May be a long run ahead for the Red Raiders.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

I continue to believe Patriot League rules and restrictions that hinder competitiveness OUTSIDE the league is a turn-off to many potential coaching candidates coming from a level above Division 2 ball.

Believing a Patriot League position IS seen as a stepping-stone by most candidates, wins and losses DO matter. This means a coach needs to win most every league game and 2-3 games outside the conference on a regular basis to build an impressive overall winning percentage. As it is now, even the Ivy League has an upper hand on our teams.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

While Joe said there was a lot of interest (reported 70+ applications), I think once a lot of them saw what they would have to endure with the PL restrictions, which could result in a hinderance on any plan to ascend up the proverbial FCS to FBS ladder. Very difficult to consistently (~80% of the time) be going 8-3 or better, which is needed to get attention, unless one has other connections. So while I think all of the PL schools have an "attractiveness" about them, once prospectives do some digging, I think a good number look elsewhere. Salary is also another restriction.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

AGS FCS Champion

Ohh I think most people are still scratching their heads and will do so until the 1st game. At this point it's water under the bridge. I'm trusting the strength of the program will allow Gilmore to succeed at a much higher level than he did at Holy Cross. If things go sideways hopefully he doesn't stick around too long. He's inheriting a skilled roster. There's clearly flaws on defense but overall 1-60 there's guys who can ball. The team/program was in a tough spot with Coen's health situation. Better direction and less strain on the assistants should result in immediate improvement. No Princeton, Fordham and Holy Cross debacles in 2019.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Ohh I think most people are still scratching their heads and will do so until the 1st game. At this point it's water under the bridge. I'm trusting the strength of the program will allow Gilmore to succeed at a much higher level than he did at Holy Cross. If things go sideways hopefully he doesn't stick around too long. He's inheriting a skilled roster. There's clearly flaws on defense but overall 1-60 there's guys who can ball. The team/program was in a tough spot with Coen's health situation. Better direction and less strain on the assistants should result in immediate improvement. No Princeton, Fordham and Holy Cross debacles in 2019.
    +1

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Word on Lehigh forum is that Roberts is out as DL assistant, Bandy out as OL assistant and Sutyak out as DC. No direct announcements on replacements. Supposedly, Roberts taking position in AD office. The trenches is where it's won, so hopefully Gilmore will be able to replace with some people who will elevate the game. Roberts well liked by the players, so new guy will have work cut out in several areas. Bandy dealt bad hand having just come in and then hamstrung with all the injuries on the OL. Seemed like a decent guy, but such is life in college football coaching ranks.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

According to TG interview at 1/2 time, coach assignments will be announced next week.