Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar

Newest FCS member: Dixie State

Not officially official yet, but oh well.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46464699...tic-conference

Re: Newest FCS member: Dixie State

Quote Originally Posted by Grizalltheway View Post
    Not officially official yet, but oh well.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46464699...tic-conference
    Don’t know anything about Dixie State, but the prospects of them, and, potentially, a whole FCS WAC Conference (per the article) has to be welcome news to the Teams in the Big Sky Conference. Yes? What are some of the implications - positive and/or negative that BSC Fans see with this possible development.

Also...With Dixie State, potentially, taking a higher NCAA Profile, will we see pressure for them to change the name of their school due to its origins...

The largest community in the region, St. George, was founded in 1861, when Brigham Young selected 300 families to take over the area and grow cotton, grapes, and other crops. The region was nicknamed Dixie by 1860. Andrew Larson's text on the history of the name "Dixie" in Utah states that in 1857, the first President of the Washington Stake was Robert Dockery Covington, a slave overseer and slave owner from North Carolina and Mississippi. Larson states:

Already the settled area of the Virgin Valley was being called Utah's "Dixie." The fact that cotton would grow there, as well as tobacco and other semi-tropical plants such as the South produced made it easy for the name to stick. The fact that the settlers at Washington were
    bona fide Southerners who were steeped in the lore of cotton culture—many of them, at least—clinched the title. Dixie it became, and Dixie it remained. ... The name "Dixie" is one of those distinctive things about this part of Utah ... It is a proud title

— Andrew Larson, I Was Called to "Dixie" (p. 185)”

NOTE TO ADMIN’s : If this question is, possibly, too “political” to be discussed on the FCS Board, just let me know & I’ll delete it. Was just, honestly, curious about it, looked it up, and see it as a potential issue along the lines of Colonel Reb @ Ole Miss, the former mascot at NDak, and the waving of the Stars & Bars / playing of “Dixie” at football games at The Citadel.

NOTE2 - just saw the other Dixie State thread - lots of interesting possibilities with this development. Ain’t FCS FUN!
    Last edited by FUBeAR; January 9th, 2019 at 09:17 PM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Also...With Dixie State, potentially, taking a higher NCAA Profile, will we see pressure for them to change the name of their school due to its origins...
    CitDog to the rescue......
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Champion

Don’t know anything about Dixie State, but the prospects of them, and, potentially, a whole FCS WAC Conference (per the article) has to be welcome news to the Teams in the Big Sky Conference. Yes? What are some of the implications - positive and/or negative that BSC Fans see with this possible development.

The largest community in the region, St. George, was founded in 1861, when Brigham Young selected 300 families to take over the area and grow cotton, grapes, and other crops. The region was nicknamed Dixie by 1860. Andrew Larson's text on the history of the name "Dixie" in Utah states that in 1857, the first President of the Washington Stake was Robert Dockery Covington, a slave overseer and slave owner from North Carolina and Mississippi. Larson states:

Already the settled area of the Virgin Valley was being called Utah's "Dixie." The fact that cotton would grow there, as well as tobacco and other semi-tropical plants such as the South produced made it easy for the name to stick. The fact that the settlers at Washington were
    bona fide Southerners who were steeped in the lore of cotton culture—many of them, at least—clinched the title. Dixie it became, and Dixie it remained. ... The name "Dixie" is one of those distinctive things about this part of Utah ... It is a proud title

— Andrew Larson, I Was Called to "Dixie" (p. 185)”

NOTE TO ADMIN’s : If this question is, possibly, too “political” to be discussed on the FCS Board, just let me know & I’ll delete it. Was just, honestly, curious about it, looked it up, and see it as a potential issue along the lines of Colonel Reb @ Ole Miss, the former mascot at NDak, and the waving of the Stars & Bars / playing of “Dixie” at football games at The Citadel.

NOTE2 - just saw the other Dixie State thread - lots of interesting possibilities with this development. Ain’t FCS FUN!
    Who cares what their name is? That name has been historically used there for over a century. The Dixie National Forest is in the vicinity, and that is a federal national Forest. Quit trying to make this into something it isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    Who cares what their name is? That name has been historically used there for over a century. The Dixie National Forest is in the vicinity, and that is a federal national Forest. Quit trying to make this into something it isn’t.
    Just curious about the name when I found out that Dixie State was in Utah & upon finding out the reason, curious about how that may resonate in today’s environment of an apparent appetite for erasing/expunging most everything associated with that era of US History. I can certainly empathize in some measure, with, or at least understand, the sentiments of those that want to erase/expunge this past, but I also cherish the romanticized version of the Confederacy with which I was raised in NC in the 1960’s. My son’s middle name is “Lee,” named after one of my boyhood heroes, Gen. Rob’t E. So, yeah, it’s a bit of a personal issue/dilemma for me and I always wonder how current things associated with this past, in any way, will be handled & if/when the whole issue might ever be resolved. Absolutely NOT trying to “make” it into anything; just wondering if it will become something. Wish it weren’t/wouldn’t, but imagine that it might.

You’re right though...probably best not to try to discuss here.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

AGS FCS Champion

Just curious about the name when I found out that Dixie State was in Utah & upon finding out the reason, curious about how that may resonate in today’s environment of an apparent appetite for erasing/expunging most everything associated with that era of US History. I can certainly empathize in some measure, with, or at least understand, the sentiments of those that want to erase/expunge this past, but I also cherish the romanticized version of the Confederacy with which I was raised in NC in the 1960’s. My son’s middle name is “Lee,” named after one of my boyhood heroes, Gen. Rob’t E. So, yeah, it’s a bit of a personal issue/dilemma for me and I always wonder how current things associated with this past, in any way, will be handled & if/when the whole issue might ever be resolved. Absolutely NOT trying to “make” it into anything; just wondering if it will become something. Wish it weren’t/wouldn’t, but imagine that it might.

You’re right though...probably best not to try to discuss here.
    ****, do they still sell Dixie cups? Should we change that to yankee cups?

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    ****, do they still sell Dixie cups? Should we change that to yankee cups?
    Little leaguers use dixie cups.
    Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

Dixie was a form of money.
    Jacksonville State University
    The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

http://www.gojaxstate.com/forum/

Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

The FCS is such trash now....Dixie St? It's like we came to the "FCS party" around 10pm and stayed way too long.....