Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Youngstown State vs Samford in 2019 FCS Kickoff Classic

Quote Originally Posted by MR. CHICKEN View Post
    ........AH WAS REFERRIN'....TA FANS UH DUH SKOOLS......NOT NATIONAL AUDIENCE..........AWK!

........SUMMERTIME.....WAS MEANT...AS "HOT AS HELL".....AN' ON TV........WILL DING ATTENDANCE........BRAWK!

.......MAYBEAH BUY UH CHICKEN DICTIONARY..........TA GET WHAT AH'M SAYIN'...............BRAWK!
    My chicken scratch needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    Dude come on it was plain and simple Banni Roster
    The Easton Stick #12 of the AGS Lounge

If stupidity was an illness liberals and dimocraps would be dead by now

AGS FCS Champion

Because Montgomery pays for it.
    So are they locked in or can another city compete with them? If they wanted to. They got lock with the NCAA or can it be competitive? I guess that was my point.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Since it being paid for, I’m guessing that travel expenses for both teams are covered ? And is a check being provided as well ? Seems ESPN got the bucks.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    So are they locked in or can another city compete with them? If they wanted to. They got lock with the NCAA or can it be competitive? I guess that was my point.
    I'm not sure, I'm not savvy on the particulars but from what I understand Montgomery reached out to ESPN because they wanted an event for the Cramton Bowl. Hence why this "kickoff classic" isn't played in on campus stadiums. I don't know how long the contract is for but I've heard rumors we are back in the thing in 2020 so who friggin knows.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

Top FCS Ruler

Considering the source, the irony of this post is what makes it hilarious.

In doing a little research on the attendance numbers it became apparent to me that this event and many Bowl games are actually just “Reality TV.” ESPN Events OWNS this event and about 30 others which ‘live,’ primarily, to provide content around which ESPN can sell advertising.

So, the venue is an expense item for them, like the resort where contestants on “The Bachelor” stay. I’m sure they bid these out periodically and negotiate contracts with the owners of the facilities (in this case, the City of Montgomery, AL). If the venue owner(s) wants an event badly enough, this may become a contra expense for ESPN Events. I would guess the bowl games they own require NCAA approval as they are post-season events, but if these early season games are just part of 2 Teams’ regular season schedules and they agree to play at a neutral site, the I don’t know that the NCAA has a whole lot of say on the matter. Maybe, because they get ‘the jump’ on other Teams, ahead of the date for ‘allowed games’ on the NCAA calendar, the suits in Indy do have some control, but I would doubt they are dictating the location/venue to ESPN Events.

As in most things related to College Football today, following the money will show you the answer.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Top FCS Ruler

I can relate this: The NCAA does not give an exemption for this game as counting schedule wise. Last year this game was almost a Samford vs JSU contest. That was aborted, however, when our administration learned that participating would leave us with only 4 home games. This was not acceptable to our folks, so we dropped out of consideration. This, being the 12 game year, might account for our accepting the invitation.

No disrespect for NCA&T, but I wish we could have seen the SU vs JSU match-up. Of course, I expect some smart-alec rebuttal from JSUers, but the way the Gamecocks played that game, I fully believe Samford would have won.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    In doing a little research on the attendance numbers it became apparent to me that this event and many Bowl games are actually just “Reality TV.” ESPN Events OWNS this event and about 30 others which ‘live,’ primarily, to provide content around which ESPN can sell advertising.

So, the venue is an expense item for them, like the resort where contestants on “The Bachelor” stay. I’m sure they bid these out periodically and negotiate contracts with the owners of the facilities (in this case, the City of Montgomery, AL). If the venue owner(s) wants an event badly enough, this may become a contra expense for ESPN Events. I would guess the bowl games they own require NCAA approval as they are post-season events, but if these early season games are just part of 2 Teams’ regular season schedules and they agree to play at a neutral site, the I don’t know that the NCAA has a whole lot of say on the matter. Maybe, because they get ‘the jump’ on other Teams, ahead of the date for ‘allowed games’ on the NCAA calendar, the suits in Indy do have some control, but I would doubt they are dictating the location/venue to ESPN Events.

As in most things related to College Football today, following the money will show you the answer.
    So if some other city wanted to have their own game a week early, and call it "the Real Kickoff Classic," they could? As long as they get two teams to play a week early?
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

So if some other city wanted to have their own game a week early, and call it "the Real Kickoff Classic," they could? As long as they get two teams to play a week early?
    The “week early” is the catch. Unless I’m mistaken, the benevolent & all-holy NCAA publishes an annual calendar which includes the earliest date competitions are allowed for each sport; so they would probably have to grant a waiver to the Teams desiring to participate in your hypothetical city’s game. From my limited experience with the NCAA, they would be more than willing to do that as long as HypoCity paid an appropriate honorarium to them...unless some clause in their agreement(s) with ESPN prevents them from doing that...which it probably does.

So, in theory, “Yes,” but in reality, “No.” Unless HypoCity has & wants to spend enough ‘juice’ to (in reality) buy the rights to such a game from the NCAA AND its Co-Conspirator, ESPN.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.