Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did Swinney Really Just Say What I Thought He Did?

I thought I heard him say they were the first college football team to win a National Title at 15-0.....
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

Re: Did Swinney Really Just Say What I Thought He Did?

The 15-0 Penn team of 1897 was awarded a national title retroactively.

13 home games didn't hurt, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1897_P..._football_team
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS FCS Champion

The crooks on ESPN have been saying it all week!! They keep comparing Clemson to the "famous" 1897 Penn squad as the only teams in the "history of college football" to go 15-0. WTF?!?!? Hello?!?!?
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    The crooks on ESPN have been saying it all week!! They keep comparing this to the "famous" 1897 Penn as the only teams in the "history of college football" to go 15-0. WTF?!?!? Hello?!?!?
    Well now we know it takes two days to lose all memory...

AGS FCS Champion

The FCS is irrelevant?

Shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.

First Class FCS Ruler SUPharmacist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    The crooks on ESPN have been saying it all week!! They keep comparing Clemson to the "famous" 1897 Penn squad as the only teams in the "history of college football" to go 15-0. WTF?!?!? Hello?!?!?
    Meh, so many people really only consider their level when they make statements like that. I know earlier in the playoffs Klieman said Stick was the best QB in all of college football. I love Stick, but while he is a winner, that seemed like hyperbole (Klieman even hedged his bet after the title game and made a similar statement, but qualified it with FCS).

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    The FCS is irrelevant?

Shocker.
    Some people can’t grasp the fact that we FCS teams are as important as the D2 teams to the FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPharmacist View Post
    Meh, so many people really only consider their level when they make statements like that. I know earlier in the playoffs Klieman said Stick was the best QB in all of college football. I love Stick, but while he is a winner, that seemed like hyperbole (Klieman even hedged his bet after the title game and made a similar statement, but qualified it with FCS).
    That is a decent statement right there. Think of it though, in one single year you have two NCAA college football DI 15-0 National Champions. I am not sure how rare that will prove to be.

The Don of the MVFC Mafia BisonBacker's Avatar
    Where ever I happen to be when you are reading this!

Hey it doesn't take the college powerhouses to think that way either. Anyone want some funny and sad reading at the same time regarding this lack of respect for the FCS just go over to App's message board. You'd think they were the Clemson of the FBS world. Kind of funny when you think about it really given that fans of Clemson would say who's App State? They Division II?
    If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts--Floyd R. Turbo
    I only kill in self defense-what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?. Floyd R. Turbo
    We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

People always looking for some way to be offended.
    Everyone knows Dabo wasn't talking about FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, or NCCAA or even the pre-NCAA era.

Interestingly, it is possible for an FCS champion to actually go 17-0 (maybe even 18-0 if they play Hawaii). It would require a team going 12-0 and not being seeded but running the table.