Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Swinney Really Just Say What I Thought He Did?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Abilene Christian

Did Swinney Really Just Say What I Thought He Did?

I thought I heard him say they were the first college football team to win a National Title at 15-0.....
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

Re: Did Swinney Really Just Say What I Thought He Did?

The 15-0 Penn team of 1897 was awarded a national title retroactively.

13 home games didn't hurt, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1897_P..._football_team
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

The crooks on ESPN have been saying it all week!! They keep comparing Clemson to the "famous" 1897 Penn squad as the only teams in the "history of college football" to go 15-0. WTF?!?!? Hello?!?!?
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    The crooks on ESPN have been saying it all week!! They keep comparing this to the "famous" 1897 Penn as the only teams in the "history of college football" to go 15-0. WTF?!?!? Hello?!?!?
    Well now we know it takes two days to lose all memory...

My Team
    NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    The crooks on ESPN have been saying it all week!! They keep comparing Clemson to the "famous" 1897 Penn squad as the only teams in the "history of college football" to go 15-0. WTF?!?!? Hello?!?!?
    Meh, so many people really only consider their level when they make statements like that. I know earlier in the playoffs Klieman said Stick was the best QB in all of college football. I love Stick, but while he is a winner, that seemed like hyperbole (Klieman even hedged his bet after the title game and made a similar statement, but qualified it with FCS).

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by SUPharmacist View Post
    Meh, so many people really only consider their level when they make statements like that. I know earlier in the playoffs Klieman said Stick was the best QB in all of college football. I love Stick, but while he is a winner, that seemed like hyperbole (Klieman even hedged his bet after the title game and made a similar statement, but qualified it with FCS).
    That is a decent statement right there. Think of it though, in one single year you have two NCAA college football DI 15-0 National Champions. I am not sure how rare that will prove to be.

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    That is a decent statement right there. Think of it though, in one single year you have two NCAA college football DI 15-0 National Champions. I am not sure how rare that will prove to be.
    I saw somewhere that said that this year all of the division winners (and even the NAIA champions) went undefeated:
    Clemson (15-0), NDSU (15-0), Valdosta State (14-0, DII), Mary Hardin-Baylor (15-0, DIII), Morningside (15-0, NAIA)

And the last time that happened was 2013:
    Florida State (14-0), NDSU (15-0), Northwest Missouri State (15-0, DII), Wisconsin-Whitewater (15-0, DIII), Grand View (14-0, NAIA)

Of course going 15-0 is pretty rare in the FBS because you have to win your regular season, your conference championship game, the semifinal game, and the FBS championship game, and obviously it's only been recently that some of those have happened. Many conference championship games are a relatively new thing, and you've only had the 4-team playoff for a few years too.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State University

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    I saw somewhere that said that this year all of the division winners (and even the NAIA champions) went undefeated:
    Clemson (15-0), NDSU (15-0), Valdosta State (14-0, DII), Mary Hardin-Baylor (15-0, DIII), Morningside (15-0, NAIA)

Florida State (14-0), NDSU (15-0), Northwest Missouri State (15-0, DII), Wisconsin-Whitewater (15-0, DIII), Grand View (14-0, NAIA)
    I wonder how many times an FBS, FCS, DII, DIII, or NAIA team has spoiled "5-division-perfection". I am not going to do the research, but would be curious.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post

Of course going 15-0 is pretty rare in the FBS because you have to win your regular season, your conference championship game, the semifinal game, and the FBS championship game, and obviously it's only been recently that some of those have happened. Many conference championship games are a relatively new thing, and you've only had the 4-team playoff for a few years too.

Nice research Lawson!

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

The FCS is irrelevant?

Shocker.