Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Building a Dynasty

Not to mention a lot of our walk ons eventually earn scholarships and some even go on to get drafted in the NFL. Joe Haeg is a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post
    I still get disappointed thinking about the NCC being no more. One of the best conferences ever (in any division), IMO.

It's never been the same for any of those schools since it broke up. Some have continued success but the odd conferences, making new conferences, etc.
    One thing that gets overlooked is how the NCC dominated women's basketball. For many years the regional was much tougher than the Elite 8 (sort of like it is for the NSIC most years in volleyball). Those were some tremendous battles between UND and NDSU- to say nothing of how SDSU and Augustana had some really good teams too.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

I remember NDSU from back in the 80s as they were tearing up D2. Yet, dynasties can certainly have lulls and that got me to thinking.

As a writer for D2 football, I always felt like NDSU was at the top of D2 and then reclassified. But, looking back, that's not the case.

Can any long-time fans fill me in on the last years of D2 and what happened? In the Bison's last 8 years of D2/NCC play, they only went to the playoffs twice.

What was up from 1996-2003? Any insight?

http://college-football-results.com/f/ndakotst.htm
    I think that was when the NCC or D2 reduced the number of schollies to 36. Before that NDSU could afford more schollies than other schools so in effect they chopped NDSU off at the knees.
    Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

AGS FCS Champion

NDSU basically out-spent other programs in our early D2 days. Once that wasn't allowed we were brought back to the pack.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 '17 & '18 National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    I think that was when the NCC or D2 reduced the number of schollies to 36. Before that NDSU could afford more schollies than other schools so in effect they chopped NDSU off at the knees.
    Ahh, I gotcha. Looks like the reductions were voted in for the 1992 season. Am I reading this right that I-A and I-AA had the same scholarship limits (95) back then?

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/01/10/s...d-seasons.html
    ROAR LIONS!

Most football players from the upper Midwest are white. Scanning through my 1986 high school year book at Fargo South, I could only find a few black students out of about 1,100 and one of them went on to play at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Very well written and hits on numerous reasons why NDSU has been very good.

My biggest issue was this...

The ex-principal was very frank with me. He said for years NDSU just tried to play with mostly all-white players who were produced in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas. After declaring for D1, they had to find skill players who often are black players. Fargo maybe 2200 miles from Florida, but they send coaches to Florida to find WRs, DBs, and running backs. They have spread their wings to 15 states including California, Florida, and Michigan. However, they do not go south of Kansas other than the state of Florida.

I do not agree that NDSU preferred white players before the D1 transition began in 2003. I could name numerous African american players dating back to the 1960's that were key contributors to National Championship teams. Generally the D2 teams were more midwest players and the D1 teams are coming in from numerous other areas of the country.

I think the general point is that NDSU had to branch out across the country to get more skill position players.

Another thing that is key is the strength and conditioning program at NDSU. The Bison have done a great job at finding 6'-3" or so 230 or so pounds guys from small town ND and growing them into monsters.

NDSU and Nebraska are very similar in terms of the in state kids grow up wanting to play for the home state powerhouse and get a lot of walk on talent this way. Plus aboit 15-20 thousand fans for NDSU travel 1000 miles to support their team. Similar to Nebraska. Obviously the Huskers are on a different level but after hanging out with some Husker fans the similarities are very striking.

Very good article though!

Dewey

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by centennial View Post
    Did you write this? Excellent piece.
    No, I did not write the article . The link takes you to the blog that is a really good daily read. Zem includes a lot of interesting material in his blog but he is a McNeese grad.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Ahh, I gotcha. Looks like the reductions were voted in for the 1992 season. Am I reading this right that I-A and I-AA had the same scholarship limits (95) back then?

In those years NDSU was D2 and I dont know what the schollie levels were at that time.
    Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

I think D-II scholarships dropped from 45 to 36 in the 90s. Maybe it was only 42???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In those years NDSU was D2 and I dont know what the schollie levels were at that time. But here is what I found.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) was established in 1906 as the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States. The name was changed to its current name in 1910. There was no control over scholarships for any sport, but there was a requirement that a school's athletes had to be enrolled in the school they played for. Football schools could offer as many scholarships as they could afford and many had 150 players or more.
    1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85 and 63 for Division I-AA.