Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Building a Dynasty

I remember NDSU from back in the 80s as they were tearing up D2. Yet, dynasties can certainly have lulls and that got me to thinking.

As a writer for D2 football, I always felt like NDSU was at the top of D2 and then reclassified. But, looking back, that's not the case.

Can any long-time fans fill me in on the last years of D2 and what happened? In the Bison's last 8 years of D2/NCC play, they only went to the playoffs twice.

What was up from 1996-2003? Any insight?

http://college-football-results.com/f/ndakotst.htm
    ROAR LIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post
    I remember NDSU from back in the 80s as they were tearing up D2. Yet, dynasties can certainly have lulls and that got me to thinking.

As a writer for D2 football, I always felt like NDSU was at the top of D2 and then reclassified. But, looking back, that's not the case.

Can any long-time fans fill me in on the last years of D2 and what happened? In the Bison's last 8 years of D2/NCC play, they only went to the playoffs twice.

Without looking, I could give you two sets of initials of teams that were pretty good in the NCC.

UNC and UND. I know that they had three national titles during that time.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

AGS FCS Expert

I can touch on a few reasons why but I certainly do not know all of the reasons.

1. The scholarship reduction in D2 affected NDSU's depth.
    2. Rocky Hager had some players get into trouble and that lead to his dismissal as head coach as IIRC he didn't see eye to eye with the athletic director.
    3. GFCC finally overtook the Bison as the team to beat in the NCC along with Northern Colorado and Nebraska Omaha. In those days if you lost 2 games there was virtually no chance of making the playoffs.
    4. NDSU did make the National semifinals in 2000 and lost at Delta State on terrible field.

These are just a few reasons why they slipped but only 3 losing seasons in the last ~55 years of Bison football.

Craig Bohl took over for Bob Babich who in his last season went 2-9 (maybe 3-8) and woke up a sleeping giant.

Dewey
    Proud supporter of the North Dakota State University Bison.

15 time National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsGrizFan View Post
    I think this piece is garbage. Theres huge assumptions that arent accurate in this article. NDSU currently shows 22 kids from North Dakota on their roster, out of those 22, theres about 4-5 that actually play significantly. In comparison, Montana has 50 kids from Montana on its roster, of which about 20 play significantly. Stating that NDSU has an advantage because they get North Dakota farm kids to play for them isn't accurate. Ya they get walk-ons to fill their roster for practice, but its not those kids out winning them championships. Apparently you did not watch the championship game then. Our starting center is from ND, in fact he was named the Rimington award winner as best center in FCS. Our starting LB Levi Jordhiem another ND kid had an interception in the game. Our starting DE Stanley Jones another ND kid had a strip sack fumble recovery. MT has more because they have a larger population then ND. I think if you add in our MN kids it's probably more accurate.

Second the part about white kids and black kids is really weird and IDK where the article is trying to go there. Ya every school recruits kids from the bigger populated states, for North Dakota, they dont have a state in close proximity like Montana does with say a California, Oregon and Washington, so yes they go to Florida to find talent, I wouldnt say they go to Florida to find "black talent". That whole paragraph was just weird. I agree with this that doesn't make sense. We get white and black kids from all over our recruiting area.

The reasons NDSU are dominant are simple, but hard to duplicate.

1. They redshirt a **** load of players, kids come in with the expecatation they will sit a year, get bigger and stronger, and then learn from the ones ahead of them on the depth charts. That creates great program depth. Not everyone redshirts. I think we played 6-7 true freshmen in every game this season, most on special teams. You're correct though that we bring in kids that buy in and are willing to stick around until their time comes which is very important.

2. They have had unreal program continuity with coaching staffs. Each of their last 3 coaches and now with the new guy, are all from within the program, they've all been teaching the same philosophies, recruiting the same regions and schools, and knowing that their time is coming in the future. It is unbelievably rare to have this many coaches come one after another from within the program. The fact that they haven't came across at least one of those guys that just cannot hack it or made a bad hire yet is astounding and great work on their Athletic Dept. Agree that the coaches have been amazing and when you are rolling it's easy to hire from within and keep rolling as opposed to reshuffling entire new staffs every 3-4 years.

3.They are right in the backyard of the most under recruited region in the nation. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota are all states with really decent population sizes. They have large schools that get overlooked by the rest of the nation besides the Big 10 or Big 12 every now and then. Therefor that region has an abundance of FBS or borderline FBS talent that gets no offers from big school. NDSU comes in and loads their roster with those kids. Its a misconseption that NDSU is dominating with a roster full of South and North Dakota kids. Agree that the midwest is a hotbed of talent but it's not like we don't have competition for those kids. There are lots of FBS schools plus a bunch of other FCS schools recruiting the same areas. We've been able to get some high end kids with P5 offers but the vast majority of our recruits are not P5 or even G5 recruits out of HS. We bring in kids with the right frames and athleticism and mold them with out S&C program. Our roster is 75-80% ND, SD & MN kids.

4. And finally maybe the biggest reason they have had this run....QB talent. The last 3 QBs to come through this program have all been unreal FCS talent. Wentz obviously was the #2 pick in the NFL draft and Stick and Jensen are both borderline NFL, definite Canadian League talents, and they've had those 3 guys all come in a row! Does anyone realize how rare that is? For again a Montana example, our best QB and legend of Montana Dave Dickensen was a good Canadian Football League player....NDSU has had 3 of those dudes in a row. Thats unreal for a FBS program let alone FCS. Agreed that we have been blessed with some great QB talent but we have also developed those guys as well. NDSU has had some tremendous QB play through out it's history, that's not by luck or chance.
    My comments in red.

Dewey hit on some of the reasons.

I would add that our athletic director from 1988 to 2000 was a frucking moron and an asshole that tried his best to destroy the program! Never ever hire someone from your ****ing arch rivals institute!

Master FCS Advocate BadlandsGrizFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    My comments in red.
    I agree with most of what you added. And I didnt mean to make it sound like ND kids dont contribute what so ever, you obviously have some very good players from ND, liek I mentioned, its like 3 or 4 kids tho. The article made it sound like its just a team of NoDaks out there kicking ass. If I recall I thought a majority of your roster is from Minnesota.

I agree with most of what you added. And I didnt mean to make it sound like ND kids dont contribute what so ever, you obviously have some very good players from ND, liek I mentioned, its like 3 or 4 kids tho. The article made it sound like its just a team of NoDaks out there kicking ass. If I recall I thought a majority of your roster is from Minnesota.
    Yes the majority of our roster is MN kids. There are many reasons for that, being right on the border and having reciprocity with MN, a huge population base with only 1 D1 school among them.

Football moneyball:

1 - Recognize there is a hugely undervalued gap in the current market (in this case a power running game, when everyone else is moving towards fancy finesse spread offenses)
    2 - Have the culture, support, continuity, and brand to build #1 over many years
    3 - Keep it going with success begetting success, and running the tightest ship possible
    4 - Keep a gap between you and the competition because there are only a handful of programs that can build and maintain much of anything, and they either have trouble maintaining continuity, have endless setbacks thanks to scandals, or chase a bunch of evolutionary football dead ends.

First Class FCS Ruler thebootfitter's Avatar

I think this piece is garbage. Theres huge assumptions that arent accurate in this article. NDSU currently shows 22 kids from North Dakota on their roster, out of those 22, theres about 4-5 that actually play significantly. In comparison, Montana has 50 kids from Montana on its roster, of which about 20 play significantly. Stating that NDSU has an advantage because they get North Dakota farm kids to play for them isn't accurate. Ya they get walk-ons to fill their roster for practice, but its not those kids out winning them championships.
    As someone else pointed out, some of our key players are the ones from ND and SD, but also Minnesota locals. However, I believe you are undervaluing the scout teams. If they were not an integral part of the team, working their tails off everyday just as if they were a starter, I'm pretty sure NDSU wouldn't be winning as many championships. It is because they are part of a team that is bigger than any individual players that they commit to the cause and work their tails off. And this is a key ingredient to Bison culture and their winning ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Without looking, I could give you two sets of initials of teams that were pretty good in the NCC.

UNC and UND. I know that they had three national titles during that time.

I still get disappointed thinking about the NCC being no more. One of the best conferences ever (in any division), IMO.

It's never been the same for any of those schools since it broke up. Some have continued success but the odd conferences, making new conferences, etc.
    ROAR LIONS!