Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Building a Dynasty

Interesting perspective on the success of the NDSU program (which is spot on IMO).

https://zemsgems.wordpress.com/

The information is on the January 7, 2019 page.

Congrats to the Champs
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Building a Dynasty

Did you write this? Excellent piece.

"North Dakota and North Dakota State are the only two D1 programs in North Dakota. Currently NDSU owns the airwaves for the entire state. NDSU receives more than $1.5 million dollars from TV revenue from carrying home games on state wide run TV stations. They also have every corner of the state covered in radio programming in which coaches shows and call-in shows are prevalent in every city in North Dakota that has a radio station. They are the “LSU” of North Dakota and can demand big dollars from state wide advertisement."

Wow. Must be nice.

ROAR LIONS!

"It goes beyond coaching. Craig Bohl won 85% of his games at NDSU and is 28-35 at Wyoming in five years. He also has a losing record in conference games. The new Kansas State coach will find out he does not have the same advantages at KSU that he does at North Dakota State."

I find this part of the blog post interesting. I read this article recently:

NDSU success hasn't translated to higher levels for former Bison coaches (Grand Forks Herald)

ROAR LIONS!

AGS FCS Expert

Very well written and hits on numerous reasons why NDSU has been very good.

My biggest issue was this...

The ex-principal was very frank with me. He said for years NDSU just tried to play with mostly all-white players who were produced in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas. After declaring for D1, they had to find skill players who often are black players. Fargo maybe 2200 miles from Florida, but they send coaches to Florida to find WRs, DBs, and running backs. They have spread their wings to 15 states including California, Florida, and Michigan. However, they do not go south of Kansas other than the state of Florida.

I do not agree that NDSU preferred white players before the D1 transition began in 2003. I could name numerous African american players dating back to the 1960's that were key contributors to National Championship teams. Generally the D2 teams were more midwest players and the D1 teams are coming in from numerous other areas of the country.

I think the general point is that NDSU had to branch out across the country to get more skill position players.

Another thing that is key is the strength and conditioning program at NDSU. The Bison have done a great job at finding 6'-3" or so 230 or so pounds guys from small town ND and growing them into monsters.

NDSU and Nebraska are very similar in terms of the in state kids grow up wanting to play for the home state powerhouse and get a lot of walk on talent this way. Plus aboit 15-20 thousand fans for NDSU travel 1000 miles to support their team. Similar to Nebraska. Obviously the Huskers are on a different level but after hanging out with some Husker fans the similarities are very striking.

Very good article though!

Dewey
    Last edited by dewey; January 7th, 2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Proud supporter of the North Dakota State University Bison.

15 time National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post
    "North Dakota and North Dakota State are the only two D1 programs in North Dakota. Currently NDSU owns the airwaves for the entire state. NDSU receives more than $1.5 million dollars from TV revenue from carrying home games on state wide run TV stations. They also have every corner of the state covered in radio programming in which coaches shows and call-in shows are prevalent in every city in North Dakota that has a radio station. They are the “LSU” of North Dakota and can demand big dollars from state wide advertisement."

Wow. Must be nice.

Some perspective: Louisiana has 4.7 million people. North Dakota has 755k.

Master FCS Advocate BadlandsGrizFan's Avatar

I think this piece is garbage. Theres huge assumptions that arent accurate in this article. NDSU currently shows 22 kids from North Dakota on their roster, out of those 22, theres about 4-5 that actually play significantly. In comparison, Montana has 50 kids from Montana on its roster, of which about 20 play significantly. Stating that NDSU has an advantage because they get North Dakota farm kids to play for them isn't accurate. Ya they get walk-ons to fill their roster for practice, but its not those kids out winning them championships.

Second the part about white kids and black kids is really weird and IDK where the article is trying to go there. Ya every school recruits kids from the bigger populated states, for North Dakota, they dont have a state in close proximity like Montana does with say a California, Oregon and Washington, so yes they go to Florida to find talent, I wouldnt say they go to Florida to find "black talent". That whole paragraph was just weird.

The reasons NDSU are dominant are simple, but hard to duplicate.

1. They redshirt a **** load of players, kids come in with the expecatation they will sit a year, get bigger and stronger, and then learn from the ones ahead of them on the depth charts. That creates great program depth.

2. They have had unreal program continuity with coaching staffs. Each of their last 3 coaches and now with the new guy, are all from within the program, they've all been teaching the same philosophies, recruiting the same regions and schools, and knowing that their time is coming in the future. It is unbelievably rare to have this many coaches come one after another from within the program. The fact that they haven't came across at least one of those guys that just cannot hack it or made a bad hire yet is astounding and great work on their Athletic Dept.

3.They are right in the backyard of the most under recruited region in the nation. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota are all states with really decent population sizes. They have large schools that get overlooked by the rest of the nation besides the Big 10 or Big 12 every now and then. Therefor that region has an abundance of FBS or borderline FBS talent that gets no offers from big school. NDSU comes in and loads their roster with those kids. Its a misconseption that NDSU is dominating with a roster full of South and North Dakota kids.

4. And finally maybe the biggest reason they have had this run....QB talent. The last 3 QBs to come through this program have all been unreal FCS talent. Wentz obviously was the #2 pick in the NFL draft and Stick and Jensen are both borderline NFL, definite Canadian League talents, and they've had those 3 guys all come in a row! Does anyone realize how rare that is? For again a Montana example, our best QB and legend of Montana Dave Dickensen was a good Canadian Football League player....NDSU has had 3 of those dudes in a row. Thats unreal for a FBS program let alone FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    I was mainly commenting on the $1.5M in TV revenue and being the dominant program in the state as an FCS team.

Alabama has so much competition (5 FBS teams and 5 FCS teams) for media coverage, fans, etc.
    ROAR LIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Most people like to ignore that.
    Internet tough guy

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post
    I was mainly commenting on the $1.5M in TV revenue and being the dominant program in the state as an FCS team.

Alabama has so much competition (5 FBS teams and 5 FCS teams) for media coverage, fans, etc.
    That was my takeaway too. I'd give just about anything to have our games on ANY local TV. We get nothing in terms of media revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000