Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Four reasons NDSU should stay FCS

Breaking Fake News

Frisco in middle of negotiations to bring North Dakota State regular season home games to Frisco due declining fan interest in Fargo and Bison fans general love of Applebees and the Olive Garden and everything that suburban Frisco has to offer

Also of note - If the Bison did go FBS, Frisco will bail out of contract to host future National Championship games due other fan bases do not have pockets full of drunken beer money to toss around town like the Green and gold money colors of the Dakotas
    Welcome back Delaware Bluehens

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    Breaking Fake News

Frisco in middle of negotiations to bring North Dakota State regular season home games to Frisco due declining fan interest in Fargo and Bison fans general love of Applebees and the Olive Garden and everything that suburban Frisco has to offer

Also of note - If the Bison did go FBS, Frisco will bail out of contract to host future National Championship games due other fan bases do not have pockets full of drunken beer money to toss around town like the Green and gold money colors of the Dakotas and will host the Bison Bowl every year instead where one lucky P5 gets pounded like a cheap whore by the Bison on New Years Day!
    FIFY

This has real promise!

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Exactly! Also Fargo is not a huge media market that other conferences want to get into like the Big10 going after Rutgers and Marand.

Even if the MWC or MAC invited NDSU I don't think they should go because no G5 has a chance to win a National Championship under the current 4 team playoff system.

Someday when the P5 breaks away I would support NDSU joining the rest of the G5 and being in the 2nd tier of football.

Dewey
    People have been talking about P5 breaking away as if itís immanent for years. I donít believe itís ever happening. Or at least at this point Iíll believe it when I see it
    5x FCS Champions - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    People have been talking about P5 breaking away as if it’s immanent for years. I don’t believe it’s ever happening. Or at least at this point I’ll believe it when I see it
    I think that for a while they were probably using the threat as a negotiating tactic with the NCAA, but they've gotten many of the things they were wanting already. Unless there's a big "sticking point" that the P5 schools decide they want and that the NCAA won't allow/go along with, then they'll probably just stick with how things are right now. They're doing great at this point...if change is going to happen, it'd have to be from below.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

The Don of the MVFC Mafia BisonBacker's Avatar
    Where ever I happen to be when you are reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    People have been talking about P5 breaking away as if it’s immanent for years. I don’t believe it’s ever happening. Or at least at this point I’ll believe it when I see it
    ^^^THIS^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    I think that for a while they were probably using the threat as a negotiating tactic with the NCAA, but they've gotten many of the things they were wanting already. Unless there's a big "sticking point" that the P5 schools decide they want and that the NCAA won't allow/go along with, then they'll probably just stick with how things are right now. They're doing great at this point...if change is going to happen, it'd have to be from below.
    I agree but I don't see that happening either. As long as the G5 are ok with the crumbs they get from the bowl system and the ever decreasing TV contracts it won't anyway.
    If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts--Floyd R. Turbo
    I only kill in self defense-what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?. Floyd R. Turbo
    We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    When economies of scale come in, as well as more predictable expenses (something FCS playoffs don't necessarily afford) it's more positive. Your away games make more money, people by more merch, which ultimately offset travel expenses, especially for football which will only increase a couple thousand $$$ for plane rides.
    Then I guess you're an advocate of Wofford moving to FBS. You said it's a no-brainer in your previous post, and I'll bet the administrators at Wofford have brains. As a matter of fact, the logical conclusion of your statements is that there should be no FCS (or even D-II or D-III) since the revenue is greater so it's a no-brainer.

Do you really think that the cost of moving from FCS (or D-II, D-III or NAIA) to FBS is only a couple thousand $ for plane rides?

The TO. Is just fine for winning a championship. Just run it at a championship level with a great defense to compliment. Whoever told you a TO team can't win a championship is a ****ing moron.

Quote Originally Posted by ksu_owls View Post
    Since it's the offseason I feel like I can make a post with less logic and a lot more fandom... I know you guys will quickly let me know if that's not how it goes lol

I personally am okay with NDSU staying in FCS. As a KSU fan, I know that we will get to the level where we are consistently in the conversation about legitimately winning championships and people will be telling us to "just move up already" "you have almost 40k students". I think winning in FCS is way more fun than winning in G5. I imagine that NDSU enjoys being the team that everyone wants to be.

In no way have we peaked with 20 guys who decided to take a chance on a school with no football program. What our inaugural class did by putting us on the FCS map is incredible, but what we are bringing to the team now with competitive recruiting is what will have us in serious championship conversations in the next few years. And when that happens, I don't want to be told that we should go FBS just because programs that have been around for 20+ years still haven't figured out how to win the big games.

Disclaimer: I do realize we haven't "won anything yet", so you don't have to tell me that. I know the Big South sucks. I know the TO isn't the best offense to win championships. I also know that a winning culture is a massive factor and although we are celebrating the small victories we have, it's creating an atmosphere of players (not fans, I know we have a lot of work to do in gaining more support) that expect to win and come to our program to win.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    North Dakota State University Football
    National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17
    MVFC champions: 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catbooster View Post
    Then I guess you're an advocate of Wofford moving to FBS. You said it's a no-brainer in your previous post, and I'll bet the administrators at Wofford have brains. As a matter of fact, the logical conclusion of your statements is that there should be no FCS (or even D-II or D-III) since the revenue is greater so it's a no-brainer.

Do you really think that the cost of moving from FCS (or D-II, D-III or NAIA) to FBS is only a couple thousand $ for plane rides?
    Apples and oranges. It's not a no brainer for Wofford because we don't have the institutional funding, the attendance, the endowment, etc. We don't have a pool of students to raise fees or the scale of attendance to subsidize our move. Put another way, a lot of G5 teams subsist of these things and P5 revenue games, but a huge component of Wofford's financial model is success on the field encouraging highly wealthy alumni and boosters donating to the Terrier Club.

Meanwhile, state schools as directional state university or low population state U have a huge alumni pool (Wofford has as many alumni as have graduated from NDSU in the last decade or so), huge attendance, etc. We're at the right level of football (the third highest). Some FCS programs, when they hit their stride like NDSU, don't belong here, but at the second level.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    The TO. Is just fine for winning a championship. Just run it at a championship level with a great defense to compliment. Whoever told you a TO team can't win a championship is a ****ing moron.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Saying "run it at a championship level" is kind of oversimplifying. The problem with the TO is that good, gap-sound defenses can stop it, but it's so simplistic that it gets easier for them to stop it because they only have to do the same motions. Georgia Southern had success at the FCS level, but there's a reason no one at FBS can advance past a mid-tier conference championship game. Heck, if you look at FCS teams that run the TO other than Georgia southern, they have struggled to score 20 points over the last decade. Here's a good video about stopping the TO and the fundamentals to it; bottom line, it's an offense that can win conference titles, but there's a reason no one running it in the last few years hasn't advanced past the quarterfinals:

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    In all fairness I said it isn't the best offense to win a championship.

First Class FCS Advocate Vandal03's Avatar

While I think NDSU could do well at FBS I hope they will stay FCS. It makes it interesting have a powerhouse program to root against. I donít want NDSU to leave or stop being a good program. I want the rest of FCS to step things up and compete with them.