Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Boring.....just go FBS already

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    Many starters for NDSU should be starting for P5 programs. It’s shocking how under recruited they were. Is the upper Midwest that overlooked by the Big 10 and Big 12?
    #SouthernSpeed

That is the the actual answer. The problem is, the Goofers, made it clear there is not enough "blue-chips" in North Dakota/Minnesota compared to Florida and Texas and so Row-The-Boat U would rather miss out on legit P5 players who don't have that #SouthernSpeed compared to farm boys, who after spending 1 year in an S&C program get to that desired weight/goal and then produce ungodly results on the field. The thing is, NDSU takes a 4.6, 6-1, 200 LB from rural ND/MN/SD/NE/IA/WI and turns him into a 6-1, 225 freak of nature. Use that example for any position where they might be .2 seconds too slow, 2 inches too short, and/or 20-25 pounds too light and bam, there you go, that is how they miss out on a P5 athlete.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    Who would I root against?
    The awful, biased, CAA refs who end up favoring NDSU.

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

I agree. We were discussing it on the UNA forums yesterday. At this point, they are an FBS program looking to keep some type of relevance by staying FCS and dominating. As a dual UNA/Bama fan, it reminds me a bit of the UCF mentality - just a different approach.

They have a list of excuses to back up their remaining FCS, which all seem trivial from this bystander's POV.
    ROAR LIONS!

The Don of the MVFC Mafia BisonBacker's Avatar
    Where ever I happen to be when you are reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    Agreed ... I get OP's point, but I don't want NDSU to leave MVFC (or FCS). They have raised the bar for MVFC .. I've posted playoff results (sans NDSU) since 2011 that convincingly prove that point that "the Wings" have performed better in playoffs than any other conference since 2011 ... better than CAA and Big Sky ... like .650 versus .500 better, exluding NDSU.

But I'm not so sure their model and system would work at P5 level like it does at FCS level. Sure they typically beat an FBS team ranked somewhere between 20-50 every year. But that is one game early in the season .. "trap game", if you will. Imagine if they were a P5 team, putting aside their venue limitations", who got scouted more regularly and had to now play 11 FBS games. That is a whole different grind AND and whole different game, just in term of physical skill levels and style of game putting playmakers in space. That is not NDSU's game .. and they would eventually have to adapt to that.

So that leaves them at G5 level IMO .. and why would they do that ? It is only marginally better than the FCS top 20 or MVFC top 5. So they would do what each year in G5 .... compete for some weak G5 conference title anf then go from 1 irrelevant bowl game to another each year. I just don't see how the G5 bowl series is better than FCS playoffs ... by better, I mean more rewarding. NDSU gets 3 more home games ($$$) and a trip to Frisco for "true Natty".

I wouldn't take that trade if i were them .. P5 is not realistic, and G5 is not worth it, for them .. might be for others.

So I'm glad they are FCS and MVFC. But I also don't believe they would realistically be better off by trying to make a jump. I hope they stay and that my ISUr are the next team to knock them off the mantle (ala JMU) .. we return a lot next year, and we're trying to beat them, not get rid of them.
    It's not
    If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts--Floyd R. Turbo
    I only kill in self defense-what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?. Floyd R. Turbo
    We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    The rest of FCS is wondering at what point is your wife going to catch you cheating and lead to the downfall of your dynasty.
    especially when said wife apparently knew how to swing an iron.

I assume the point of comparison to Tiger Woods is that he helped the game become more popular and raised the bar at same time. So to everyone who finds NDSU winning boring and bad for FCS football ... maybe challenge your team to just get better. All ships rise is not just a cliche .. it worked for MVFC. I would argue JMU's emergence helped raise the CAA bar in getting 6 bids .. despite their watered down conf schedule and playoff collapse .. this was easily CAA's deepest group of quality teams since 2010 .. just weren't as strong at top. I tend to think JMU dominance lead that re-emergence ... very similar but to lesser extent than what NDSU did for MVFC.

In short, it's all good as far as I'm concerned ... just compete and try to get better. Only one team can win a Natty each year anyway ... so what does it matter to all the other contenders trying to win it, that it happens to be same team 7 of 8 years. Again, I'm betting on field next year ... if I'm right, that will make for very interesting season. If I'm wrong .. someone will start a thread like this again I guess. But life will go on either way. It's just a game.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post
    I agree. We were discussing it on the UNA forums yesterday. At this point, they are an FBS program looking to keep some type of relevance by staying FCS and dominating. As a dual UNA/Bama fan, it reminds me a bit of the UCF mentality - just a different approach.

They have a list of excuses to back up their remaining FCS, which all seem trivial from bystander's POV.
    Why jump to the FBS to play in the Detroit: Oil Change Bowl with no chance of playing for a national title when NDSU can be the TRUE D1 title holder and not massively subsidize the athletic department to play in the FBS. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate fact. NDSU would lose out on the Easton Sticks, Carson Wentz, Kyle Emmanuels, etc... of the world. NDSU recruits G5/P5 kids who would be offered scholarships/PWO respectively and gives them a chance to play for a national title every year while also telling them they won't be waiting in the wings at a school like Row-The-Boat U, Sconie Land, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    Why jump to the FBS to play in the Detroit: Oil Change Bowl with no chance of playing for a national title when NDSU can be the TRUE D1 title holder and not massively subsidize the athletic department to play in the FBS. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate fact. NDSU would lose out on the Easton Sticks, Carson Wentz, Kyle Emmanuels, etc... of the world. NDSU recruits G5/P5 kids who would be offered scholarships/PWO respectively and gives them a chance to play for a national title every year while also telling them they won't be waiting in the wings at a school like Row-The-Boat U, Sconie Land, etc...
    Thanks for proving my point. Go Knights! I mean, Bison!
    ROAR LIONS!

AGS FCS Champion

Thanks for proving my point. Go Knights! I mean, Bison!
    The thing is, the NCAA actually recognizes UCF as an FBS title holder. The P5 has their little 4 team suckfest where Alabama is guarenteed a spot, Clemson plays in a weak ACC, and the other 2 spots generally go to a 2nd SEC team should Alabama not win the SEC, (that was the biggest joke ever) and the B1G while the B12 stays at home and ND is irrelevant. Why attempt to make the occassional NY6 bowl knowing damn well that is the highest NDSU will ever get to. UCF proved the point to every "NDSU" team out there that the committee will never touch the G5 to ensure the circle jerk, known as the P5, will be able to remain untouched and "unblemished". You proved my point actually. If Milton was not injured for UCF, they would have had a legitmate argument once again that the P5 cannot handle losing to an "inferior" school and to do such thing would damage their ego and/or hold on the G5.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    The thing is, the NCAA actually recognizes UCF as an FBS title holder. The P5 has their little 4 team suckfest where Alabama is guarenteed a spot, Clemson plays in a weak ACC, and the other 2 spots generally go to a 2nd SEC team should Alabama not win the SEC, (that was the biggest joke ever) and the B1G while the B12 stays at home and ND is irrelevant. Why attempt to make the occassional NY6 bowl knowing damn well that is the highest NDSU will ever get to. UCF proved the point to every "NDSU" team out there that the committee will never touch the G5 to ensure the circle jerk, known as the P5, will be able to remain untouched and "unblemished". You proved my point actually. If Milton was not injured for UCF, they would have had a legitmate argument once again that the P5 cannot handle losing to an "inferior" school and to do such thing would damage their ego and/or hold on the G5.
    I didn't even read past your first sentence. Actually, they don't but that's been a great PR campaign by UCF to use a meaningless computer ranking that was listed in the stat book to make their claim.

YEAR CHAMPION SELECTING ORGANIZATION
    2017 Alabama CFP
    2016 Clemson CFP
    2015 Alabama CFP
    2014 Ohio State CFP
    2013 Florida State BCS
    2012 Alabama BCS
    2011 Alabama BCS
    2010 Auburn BCS
    2009 Alabama BCS
    2008 Florida BCS
    2007 Louisiana State BCS
    2006 Florida BCS
    2005 Texas BCS
    2004 Southern California BCS
    2003 Louisiana State, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA
    2002 Ohio State BCS
    2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS
    2000 Oklahoma BCS

Source: College football championship history (NCAA.com)
    ROAR LIONS!

AGS FCS Champion

I didn't even read past your first sentence. Actually, they don't but that's been a great PR campaign by UCF to use a meaningless computer ranking that was listed in the stat book to make their claim.

YEAR CHAMPION SELECTING ORGANIZATION
    2017 Alabama CFP
    2016 Clemson CFP
    2015 Alabama CFP
    2014 Ohio State CFP
    2013 Florida State BCS
    2012 Alabama BCS
    2011 Alabama BCS
    2010 Auburn BCS
    2009 Alabama BCS
    2008 Florida BCS
    2007 Louisiana State BCS
    2006 Florida BCS
    2005 Texas BCS
    2004 Southern California BCS
    2003 Louisiana State, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA
    2002 Ohio State BCS
    2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS
    2000 Oklahoma BCS

Source: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...onship-history
    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/footba...s/2018/FBS.pdf

You are wrong, as usual. Go to page 115.