Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Re: Is the State of North Dakota really this financially broke?!?

Nobody in Massachusetts cares one whit about either Appy St or NDSU....very few care about Holy Cross if that's any consolation

My real name is Bisontownmocks

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    Nobody in Massachusetts cares one whit about either Appy St or NDSU....very few care about Holy Cross if that's any consolation
    We don't care about Massachusetts much either.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

One of the dirty, little secrets about why FCS football is mostly overlooked across America is that (for the most part) you can't bet on it. At least that's been the case for the last 30 or so years. FCS betting lines are hardly ever published anywhere etc. "Out of sight.....out of mind"

My real name is Bisontownmocks

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    One of the dirty, little secrets about why FCS football is mostly overlooked across America is that (for the most part) you can't bet on it. At least that's been the case for the last 30 or so years. FCS betting lines are hardly ever published anywhere etc. "Out of sight.....out of mind"
    I suppose it only makes sense that a Holy Cross man brings up gambling.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by iowastatebison View Post
    Here is a link to the google trends of NDSU and appalachian state. I also included UNI to see what another upper tier FCS school looks like.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...%2Fm%2F03m3x9z
    Very interesting.

Looking at interest from a state that is a thousand miles away was pretty interesting.

It looks like yt has this pretty backwards based on Google metrics over 5 years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    North Dakota State University Football
    National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17
    MVFC champions: 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

Quote Originally Posted by uni88 View Post
    While it's possible that NDSU is plateauing, I don't think so. The height of their post-season spikes appear to be trending up. The only spike higher than during their playoff runs was in 2016 when they beat Iowa. The 2016 playoff spike was still healthy despite losing in the semifinals. Their championship spike from 2014 was higher than the spike from beating Iowa State that year.

App St's best years were in 2016 (when they played Tennessee close and also played Miami) and 2018 (when they played Penn State close).

There are similarities but I think NDSU is getting more exposure overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    Very interesting.

Looking at interest from a state that is a thousand miles away was pretty interesting.

It looks like yt has this pretty backwards based on Google metrics over 5 years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    It seems there are both comparable, but really if you look at App State they got more exposure for the close losses than NDSU did for the title wins.

It's also worth observing some clear patterns that are relevant to the discussion of moving up to FBS:

1) App State has more exposure now than they ever did in FCS, even with the repeat

2) App State's exposure has increased tremendously in the last 3 years.

So, if you're NDSU, it's certainly possible that FCS is holding you back from reaching higher. (Boise state dwarfs both). Exposure over the long term is cumulative and if App State maintains their success and wins a P5 game (certainly possible), they'll continue their upward trend. I don't see what NDSU could do short of moving up to continue that trend.

Here's another long term measure that illustrates my point.

Compare UCF, App State, and NDSU

10 years ago, the three schools were pretty much indistinguishable from each other but in the last 2 years UCF has skyrocketed. Meanwhile, Boise State's publicity peaked in 2010 and has been relatively higher than NDSU since. Point is, FCS national championships don't do much by way of publicity. Sustained success against the big boys over a number of years (in the business they call it brand recognition) does that.

(The more I look at different permutations of trends and see how they seemingly track with one another, the more I think it has more to do with the specific media outlets than one team, but that's a debate for somewhere else.)

The internet was fairly new 10 years ago. I'm not sure how meaningful it is to look at internet trends from 10 years ago. Additionally, IIRC that's when NDSU was in transition from D_II or had just finished the transition.

Edit to add: And App State was fresh off their championship run and Michigan wins.

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Catbooster View Post
    The internet was fairly new 10 years ago.
    You could say that the internet was a much different place 10 years ago (as was the FCS landscape), but "fairly new" is not really something you could attach to it.
    10 years ago I was just starting my current job as a web developer after having done websites as a hobby/freelance for ~12 years.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    You could say that the internet was a much different place 10 years ago (as was the FCS landscape), but "fairly new" is not really something you could attach to it.
    10 years ago I was just starting my current job as a web developer after having done websites as a hobby/freelance for ~12 years.
    I concede the point.

But when something didn't exist when you went to college, it's easy to think of it as fairly new.