Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Big South 2019 & beyond

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    KSU & Mercer were fierce non-Football rivals in the ASun from 2005-2014. Both of their current Football rosters are heavily dominated by Players from Georgia - roughly 80% for each. I’m sure if the Owls joined the SoCon a ‘spirited’ rivalry with the Bears would immediately ensue.

As a 40 year fan of the SoCon, I would only support KSU joining the SoCon with a RIDICULOUS & perpetual buyout penalty to leave. I do think it could be a very good move for all involved, but the Owls need to PROVE they REALLY want to be in the SoCon & PROVE they REALLY want to stay in the SoCon. If they do, a RIDICULOUS buyout shouldn’t be an issue for them at all. If they won’t agree to such terms, then I don’t care if they stay in the Big South, join the SEC, go D2, or become the next NFL expansion Team.

The last thing the SoCon needs is another E*Loan or Collage of Charlatan.
    Speaking of College of Charleston.....my God why havent they started football? Of all the schools who have added football the past decade and they havent, I just think CofC would become a monster program with the campus they can recruit to, the facility they could build at a Patriots Point to play in and the recruiting area. They’d be as good as Kennessaw in my opinion.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    KSU & Mercer were fierce non-Football rivals in the ASun from 2005-2014. Both of their current Football rosters are heavily dominated by Players from Georgia - roughly 80% for each. I’m sure if the Owls joined the SoCon a ‘spirited’ rivalry with the Bears would immediately ensue.

As a 40 year fan of the SoCon, I would only support KSU joining the SoCon with a RIDICULOUS & perpetual buyout penalty to leave. I do think it could be a very good move for all involved, but the Owls need to PROVE they REALLY want to be in the SoCon & PROVE they REALLY want to stay in the SoCon. If they do, a RIDICULOUS buyout shouldn’t be an issue for them at all. If they won’t agree to such terms, then I don’t care if they stay in the Big South, join the SEC, go D2, or become the next NFL expansion Team.

The last thing the SoCon needs is another E*Loan or Collage of Charlatan.
    My impression has always been that KSU started football with the sole focus on winding up in FBS sooner rather than later.

I’d agree that an established conference should only take them with a huge exit payout clause.

The SoCon is very stable now, with the magic number of teams - and a good balance between the state schools and small privates. I’d question any suggestion towards bringing KSU on board.
    "I will derive mucho pleasure when we run the score up on the Bell Hops this year. Our boys will be eager for sweet revenge. I expect no less than 60 points. I'm thinking 3 TD's for Price alone." - Apphole

OLD CORPS

If the ASUN works out a deal with the Sun Belt, KSU will have an FBS option w/o leaving their current conference. No need to grovel at the SoCon or any other conference.

Stay tuned...
    ROAR LIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post
    If the ASUN works out a deal with the Sun Belt, KSU will have an FBS option w/o leaving their current conference. No need to grovel at the SoCon or any other conference.

Stay tuned...
    Troy has successfully kept JSU out of the Sun Belt.

There is no reason to think Georgia State won't do the same to KSU.

The A-Sun has a deal with the Big South for football because both leagues are "starter" conferences and find themselves accepting geographic outliers just to maintain minimum numbers. The non-football Big South is actually a healthy geographically compact conference with all its teams in the Carolinas and Virginia. Football needs affiliated members to maintain their automatic bid. The A-Sun needs to maintain its numbers also, so it is a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Although in some ways also a "starter" conference for FBS, the Sun Belt has no shortage attracting teams and has run teams off (NMSU and Idaho) and kept teams out (Liberty). Liberty was willing to pay big bucks to join, but were turned down. I don't see what KSU would bring to the Sun Belt unless Georgia State leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 View Post
    Dont worry Nova football will be coming to the Patriot League soon enough. Talley is gone. He was the holdout. Give it time.
    From your lips to God's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Troy has successfully kept JSU out of the Sun Belt.

There is no reason to think Georgia State won't do the same to KSU.

The A-Sun has a deal with the Big South for football because both leagues are "starter" conferences and find themselves accepting geographic outliers just to maintain minimum numbers. The non-football Big South is actually a healthy geographically compact conference with all its teams in the Carolinas and Virginia. Football needs affiliated members to maintain their automatic bid. The A-Sun needs to maintain its numbers also, so it is a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Although in some ways also a "starter" conference for FBS, the Sun Belt has no shortage attracting teams and has run teams off (NMSU and Idaho) and kept teams out (Liberty). Liberty was willing to pay big bucks to join, but were turned down. I don't see what KSU would bring to the Sun Belt unless Georgia State leaves.
    Yep if more of the other Big South schools had football there wouldnt be a problem. Winthrop and Radford flirted with the idea and its a shame they didnt.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UNAPride View Post

Stay tuned...
    You should grovel at the SoCon. Being "confederated" with The Citadel, vermin, etc would legitimize your school...

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    You should grovel at the SoCon. Being "confederated" with The Citadel, vermin, etc would legitimize your school...
    a confederation with vermin... that phrase is going in the AGS vault for 2019.

I don't see KSU going FBS in the near future... 10 years from now at a minimum. Being an FCS powerhouse would be way more fun than turning into the next GaSt or getting excited about meaningless bowl games like Ga Southern. I get the money is better in FBS, but I don't want to be the new kid that sucks like every other FBS school in Georgia that's not named Georgia.

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar

KSU going FBS before a minimum of 10 years from now would signal the program just being a leech for athletics revenue, not worried about success or a fun environment. Like Georgia State. Georgia Southern at least has a culture of expecting to win and like 20,000ish fans who will regularly attend games if they're good (and about 10,000 that will travel).

Right now KSU can't get 5,000 to a home playoff game. They need 15,000 at minimum to eventually make the leap to FBS (unless they're coastal carolina or whatever) and there's no way they do that without making football exciting and doing better to promote the program. Not to mention stadium expansion.

This is why I think KSU to the socon would be in their best interest in the short, near, and long term. If they truly want to be FBS one day they have to make games exciting and make sure their team is good. That just won't happen in the Big South. I mean, it could possibly happen, but it would take a minimum of 5 years or so for most of the other teams to catch up.