Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    FCS Expert

Re: Big South 2019 & beyond

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Think its just the 2 of us in favor of MU. Since we took Loyola and BU, I dont see any reason to demean MU. Heck, Lehigh guy is President.
    Dont worry Nova football will be coming to the Patriot League soon enough. Talley is gone. He was the holdout. Give it time.
    "\\V// for Villanova. \\V// for Victory."
    2009 National Champions
    1989/1991 Yankee Conference Champions
    1997/2001 Atlantic 10 Champions
    2009/2012 CAA Champions
    D1-AA Playoffs: 1989,1991,1992,1996,1997,2002
    FCS Playoffs: 2008,2009,2010,2012,2014,2016
    3 Walter Payton Award Winners

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
    Why do you say they cant build a winning program in the Big South? Coastal and Stony Brook did it. Charleston Southern did it for a few years around 05/06 and 13-16. Obviously now Kennessaw has by becoming a legitimate top 10 team in just a few years. In fact 3 different Big South teams have been ranked in the top 8 nationally at some point in the last 3 years (Coastal, Kennesaw, CSU).

You can be a solod playoff caliber team in the Big South. Im just wondering about the cohesion of the league.

That said....this particular season was basically Kennessaw bullying everyone haha
    ladson southern couldn't win without cheating.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
    Why do you say they cant build a winning program in the Big South? Coastal and Stony Brook did it. Charleston Southern did it for a few years around 05/06 and 13-16. Obviously now Kennessaw has by becoming a legitimate top 10 team in just a few years. In fact 3 different Big South teams have been ranked in the top 8 nationally at some point in the last 3 years (Coastal, Kennesaw, CSU).

You can be a solod playoff caliber team in the Big South. Im just wondering about the cohesion of the league.

That said....this particular season was basically Kennessaw bullying everyone haha

I think he was taking about "long term" and not a just a couple seasons here and there. SB wasn't there long enough for it to matter. CSU hasn't done it long term. CCU did, but like KSU, they were the king of the hill and it is more due to them rather than the BS which only gave them easy Ws. ANd their success really didn;t solidify until after 2010, and then they left. Not sure they could have maintained it "long term." And now that they have left, they are likely to be in the FBS dregs for years. And if KSU leaves for where ever, it will just solidify the BS label as a transition conf.

You guys need to establish some stability for sure.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

I'm enjoying UNA's early experience in the ASUN. Having Lipscomb nearby and teams with decently active fan bases like Liberty and FGCU, it's been pretty cool so far! I mention that because, for all our other sports, I prefer our new ASUN foes over SoCon, OVC, etc. We have Jax State on the football schedule for the next four years (and playing them twice in men's hoops) so that and a full Big South schedule should be great for us for a while. We're still just getting settled into things.

I'm thankful for the affiliate relationship with the Big South for football, for sure. I also heard a rumor that the ASUN was looking to work out an affiliate deal with the Sun Belt for Liberty and have the option of FBS football for other conference members.

That would certainly make the ASUN a very unique conference (and, thus, very attractive to some) possibly drawing from those other mentioned conferences to the ASUN instead of vice versa.
    ROAR LIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    I think he was taking about "long term" and not a just a couple seasons here and there. SB wasn't there long enough for it to matter. CSU hasn't done it long term. CCU did, but like KSU, they were the king of the hill and it is more due to them rather than the BS which only gave them easy Ws. ANd their success really didn;t solidify until after 2010, and then they left. Not sure they could have maintained it "long term." And now that they have left, they are likely to be in the FBS dregs for years. And if KSU leaves for where ever, it will just solidify the BS label as a transition conf.

You guys need to establish some stability for sure.
    All good points. I think at the FCS level, the conference doesnt matter nearly as much with regards to building a playoff contending team just because the money isnt as vast like FBS where being SEC or Big10 is a huge advantage over being CUSA or even Big12.

In FCS if you have a strong region to recruit and any other draw like location you can recruit well regardless of conference.

Definitely need stability though. It is seen as a transition conference which can be good at times
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar

My point about long term sustainable success had more to do with the fact that few teams are invested enough in their program for long term success, or at least that's the case for much of the conference. And the ones that are invested almost immediately look elsewhere.

Charleston Southern, Campbell and Monmouth clearly want to be good programs as their administrators have tried to improve the programs in recent years. Allegedly, Hampton and Gardner Webb do as well even though they have 0 success.

But if you're Kennesaw, you're the only one of these teams that has commitment and success, do you want to wager it on this conference or on a proven one like the Socon or OVC?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    This poster was formerly known as youngterrier.
    03/06/2017

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    My point about long term sustainable success had more to do with the fact that few teams are invested enough in their program for long term success, or at least that's the case for much of the conference. And the ones that are invested almost immediately look elsewhere.

Charleston Southern, Campbell and Monmouth clearly want to be good programs as their administrators have tried to improve the programs in recent years. Allegedly, Hampton and Gardner Webb do as well even though they have 0 success.

But if you're Kennesaw, you're the only one of these teams that has commitment and success, do you want to wager it on this conference or on a proven one like the Socon or OVC?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah CSU is making investment slowly but surely. Campbell is gonna be solid along with Monmouth. GWU is a tricky one. They had a good bit of success in D2, and if you look at their games they’re fairly competitive with SoCon teams they play, win their share. But some reason (recruiting to a middle of nowhere campus) they havent gotten over the hump.

I think the biggest problem the Big South has is a severe lack of rivalries. Kids enjoy that stuff. Citadel vs VMI, Furman vs Wofford (I think thats one), App vs GSU when they were FCS, those are fun. We have NO rivalries at all. Coastal/CSU/Liberty was becoming a nice 3 way one for a bit but thats gone. Kennessaw has no natural rival in the league.

An example is Presbyterian. Their D2 rivalry with Newberry was among the best small school gameday atmospheres around and PC moved up and it ended. Kids wanted to play in games like that. PC vs Kennesaw or Monmouth just wasnt the same.

Thats one reason we want The Citadel on our schedule. We need games that kids get excited about for reasons more than just “oh we have an opponent, lets win”. Everyone wants those high emotion games and we dont have it in the current Big South.

History and rivalries are what makes the SoCon better, even though losing GSU, ASU, Marshall did hurt some.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

I don't know the internal workings, but I still think JSU and KSU would be good additions to the SoCon if they opt to stay at the FCS.

JSU has a historic connection to Samford. JSU would likely be immediate rivals with KSU. I can also see KSU and UTC becoming a good rivalry, with both schools being about a 2 hour jaunt down the interstate.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I don't know the internal workings, but I still think JSU and KSU would be good additions to the SoCon if they opt to stay at the FCS.

JSU has a historic connection to Samford. JSU would likely be immediate rivals with KSU. I can also see KSU and UTC becoming a good rivalry, with both schools being about a 2 hour jaunt down the interstate.
    I would love that. We have no real rivals in the OVC. Both Chattanooga And Kennesaw would be great annual games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post

KSU & Mercer were fierce non-Football rivals in the ASun from 2005-2014. Both of their current Football rosters are heavily dominated by Players from Georgia - roughly 80% for each. I’m sure if the Owls joined the SoCon a ‘spirited’ rivalry with the Bears would immediately ensue.

As a 40 year fan of the SoCon, I would only support KSU joining the SoCon with a RIDICULOUS & perpetual buyout penalty to leave. I do think it could be a very good move for all involved, but the Owls need to PROVE they REALLY want to be in the SoCon & PROVE they REALLY want to stay in the SoCon. If they do, a RIDICULOUS buyout shouldn’t be an issue for them at all. If they won’t agree to such terms, then I don’t care if they stay in the Big South, join the SEC, go D2, or become the next NFL expansion Team.

The last thing the SoCon needs is another E*Loan or Collage of Charlatan.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.