Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Big South 2019 & beyond

I havent kept up as much this season so would appreciate updates. Where is Big South football headed? The league had a pretty nice little run from 2013-2017 with Coastal, CSU, Liberty being pretty good and even the others all being really competitive vs more established teams like in the SoCon. But obviously CCU and Liberty are gone, CSU imploded and now what?

Well as expected Kennesaw has soared to being a legitimate playoff caliber FCS team. I think North Alabama will too. CSU has the NCAA problems that look bad, but really not as bad as it sounds and the new AD can make a great HC hire to rebuild there. PC is gone. GWU and Campbell appear to be steady. Monmouth also.

Anyone who has kept up, any others coming into the league?

Currently I think the BSCs biggest problem is its a patchwork league of teams who dont really have a connection or past against each other. Coastal and CSU were so close together and Liberty was an original team in that league.

Now there no real rivalries. No real regional consistency. Feels like the XFL of college football at times.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

Re: Big South 2019 & beyond

It is funny when someone from the East talks about spread out/not regional.

NC, SC and GA combined are only slight larger than Montana alone
    Add Alabama and Virginia and you are just slightly larger than Montana and Idaho.
    Add Penn and NJ (to get to Monmouth) and that is considerably smaller than Montana/Idaho/Utah.

I still believe Monmouth may one day be in the Patriot League for football. IMO, it would be a win-win for Monmouth and the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    I still believe Monmouth may one day be in the Patriot League for football. IMO, it would be a win-win for Monmouth and the PL.
    Think its just the 2 of us in favor of MU. Since we took Loyola and BU, I dont see any reason to demean MU. Heck, Lehigh guy is President.

Quote Originally Posted by dbackjon View Post
    It is funny when someone from the East talks about spread out/not regional.

NC, SC and GA combined are only slight larger than Montana alone
    Add Alabama and Virginia and you are just slightly larger than Montana and Idaho.
    Add Penn and NJ (to get to Monmouth) and that is considerably smaller than Montana/Idaho/Utah.
    When I say geographic inconsistency I mean just that the teams are grouped in with no rhyme or reason. Its not the same as a conference with lots of large state school like Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, etc. Or the SoCon with their historic ties to each other.

Its so random. Monmouth. CSU. Kennessaw. North Alabama. The rest....just such a patchwork of teams.

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar

Kennesaw State's contract with the Big South expires in 2019 for football. I would not be surprised at all if they tried to get into the Socon. It's more in line with the Socon and KSU's mid to long term interest.

Next year, the Big South will have 8 teams: KSU, Hampton, PC, Gardner Webb, CSU, North Alabama, Campbell, and Monmouth. That will be the biggest the conference has been, probably ever.

However, PC will leave after next season. There's a long history of teams in the Big South competing in that conference while in transition from D2 only to move on to the Socon or another regionally appropriate conference (Elon, Stony Brook). The conference is pretty much a revolving door and the full time members are the ones who will suffer from it (GW, Campbell, CSU and Hampton). The Big South is primarily a basketball conference. There's little incentive for KSU, North Alabama and Monmouth (football partners) to stick around for the long term. If you're there for the football partnership and the football sucks, why stay? The A Sun doesn't have a football conference, so being a football partner in the Socon or OVC wouldn't be terrible. If football only partnership isn't an option, the worst case scenario you move to said conference full time. It would be a lateral step at worst compared to the A-Sun and Big South. I don't know much about the A-Sun/OVC but the Southern Conference is a better football and basketball conference this year than the Big South. Monmouth will join the Patriot League or CAA at the first opportunity IMO (better geographic fit).

If you're KSU and or North Alabama, you're serious about building a winning football program and you're just not going to do that in the Big South. Yes, they can regularly beat teams only slightly above D2 by 30 every week, but that's not helpful for boosting attendance because it makes the games boring (just look at their current numbers and how at NDSU playoff attendance is supposedly down), which is bad for any sort of profitability or long-term planning.

KSU and North Alabama staying in the Big South would be the best thing for the Big South, but for KSU at this point it's possible if not likely a ceiling. So i think KSU will only stay in the Big South if the OVC or Socon doesn't let them join their conference. North Alabama will probably run the Socon in 2-4 years and be in a similar situation as Kennesaw State now.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    Kennesaw State's contract with the Big South expires in 2019 for football. I would not be surprised at all if they tried to get into the Socon. It's more in line with the Socon and KSU's mid to long term interest.

Next year, the Big South will have 8 teams: KSU, Hampton, PC, Gardner Webb, CSU, North Alabama, Campbell, and Monmouth. That will be the biggest the conference has been, probably ever.

However, PC will leave after next season. There's a long history of teams in the Big South competing in that conference while in transition from D2 only to move on to the Socon or another regionally appropriate conference (Elon, Stony Brook). The conference is pretty much a revolving door and the full time members are the ones who will suffer from it (GW, Campbell, CSU and Hampton). The Big South is primarily a basketball conference. There's little incentive for KSU, North Alabama and Monmouth (football partners) to stick around for the long term. If you're there for the football partnership and the football sucks, why stay? The A Sun doesn't have a football conference, so being a football partner in the Socon or OVC wouldn't be terrible. If football only partnership isn't an option, the worst case scenario you move to said conference full time. It would be a lateral step at worst compared to the A-Sun and Big South. I don't know much about the A-Sun/OVC but the Southern Conference is a better football and basketball conference this year than the Big South. Monmouth will join the Patriot League or CAA at the first opportunity IMO (better geographic fit).

If you're KSU and or North Alabama, you're serious about building a winning football program and you're just not going to do that in the Big South. Yes, they can regularly beat teams only slightly above D2 by 30 every week, but that's not helpful for boosting attendance because it makes the games boring (just look at their current numbers and how at NDSU playoff attendance is supposedly down), which is bad for any sort of profitability or long-term planning.

KSU and North Alabama staying in the Big South would be the best thing for the Big South, but for KSU at this point it's possible if not likely a ceiling. So i think KSU will only stay in the Big South if the OVC or Socon doesn't let them join their conference. North Alabama will probably run the Socon in 2-4 years and be in a similar situation as Kennesaw State now.
    I assume you meant Big South. I doubt UNA gets into the SoCon any time soon unless there is massive realignment in FCS football.

As for KSU being invited to the SoCon, I suspect someone else would have to leave first. 9 football teams has been the magic number for 20+ years, and I don't see that changing. Maybe VMI goes to the Pioneer, but I've heard no rumbling about that. Chatty could bolt for the OVC, but in the current SoCon alignment, the Mocs aren't really a geographic outlier. Every 10 years or so, there is talk of Furman and the Citadel going to the CAA. It's unlikely the CAA would want two teams in Charleston. FU might want to join Elon, but travel costs in the CAA would make it less attractive - at least until the CAA football conference splits.

For KSU, at least intermediate term, their best bet is to seek full-time Big South membership. They don't have significant chances for FBS unless Georgia State moves to C-USA (C-USA loves "markets").

If the SoCon did decide to expand beyond 9, a bad idea in my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if Campbell were invited along with KSU.

What are the long term plans of Hampton?
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

The little South is terrible. It's Kennesaw and the rest. The Citadel could have scored 80 on ladson southern this year.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post

Why do you say they cant build a winning program in the Big South? Coastal and Stony Brook did it. Charleston Southern did it for a few years around 05/06 and 13-16. Obviously now Kennessaw has by becoming a legitimate top 10 team in just a few years. In fact 3 different Big South teams have been ranked in the top 8 nationally at some point in the last 3 years (Coastal, Kennesaw, CSU).

You can be a solod playoff caliber team in the Big South. Im just wondering about the cohesion of the league.

That said....this particular season was basically Kennessaw bullying everyone haha