Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Youngstown St. off season

YSU played their Spring game today indoors at the WATTs. The O scored 5 TDs while the D has 6 sacks and 3 pass breakups. Both true Frosh QB Waid and RS Soph Craycraft looked sharp. Waid tossed a 65 yard bomb for a TD and Craycraft threw a 33 yd score. YSU showed a lot of runs by the QBs as they will make it a dual threat O this fall. Not real impressed at this point. It was a workout and nothing more. They will face better competition in games this fall than the internal format a weak team can offer itself in a scrimmage.

They also got word from the NCAA that DE Reed is granted 2 more years eligibility coming off injury last year. That is good news as he is very good, possibly draftable.

Still looking for either more Jucos or transfers coming. Areas of need - OL, LB, S.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

Transfers are coming in. Thought Joe and Mark looked good throwing and running today. WR and O-Line worry me a bit but decent amount of starters were out so we'll see what happens once fall camp comes.

Bozo has officially gone nuts. That or there is more negative language in his extension contract that may leave YSU able to fire hm with minimal cost. Bozo is proclaiming that their goals this season are 1.) win the MVFC and 2.) win the National Championship and anything less will be a failure. He sounds high on the coming season. Spring practice will do that to you when you are coming off a 4-7 season.

Now for a reality check - at this point, pending transfers, injuries, etc, this is how YSU projects next season - YSU should be favored in home games with Howard, Duquesne, and Robert Morris. They should be favored on the road at SIU. However, they will be underdogs at home with SDSU, NDSU, Ill St. and on the road at Indiana St. and UNI. Now add in toss up games on the road with Samford at neutral site, home with WIU and on road with USD. I don’t see either “ goal “ as attainable now given their personnel weaknesses on OL, new QB and soft spots at a few other positions.

They could easily have another losing season and struggle to .500 at 6-6. They still need a lot of help.

Not much to report on the Eastside stands work underway. New broadcast booths should be a major improvement. I chuckle as the cheerleader board are just now finding out fan costs are going up,lol.

I can tell you what is going down in the Fall , lol. Increase fan cost and poor team equals lower attendance.

Book it !

Interesting. YSU adds 3 players - two Jucos and a transfer. Two are 300 lbs OL and a TE who formerly was an OG. Have to see how this works out. However, it appears two only have one year of eligibility left while another has 2 years. This might be a desperate stretch .
    Last edited by Paladin1aa; April 16th, 2019 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    YSU played their Spring game today indoors at the WATTs. The O scored 5 TDs while the D has 6 sacks and 3 pass breakups. Both true Frosh QB Waid and RS Soph Craycraft looked sharp. Waid tossed a 65 yard bomb for a TD and Craycraft threw a 33 yd score. YSU showed a lot of runs by the QBs as they will make it a dual threat O this fall. Not real impressed at this point. It was a workout and nothing more. They will face better competition in games this fall than the internal format a weak team can offer itself in a scrimmage.

They also got word from the NCAA that DE Reed is granted 2 more years eligibility coming off injury last year. That is good news as he is very good, possibly draftable.

Still looking for either more Jucos or transfers coming. Areas of need - OL, LB, S.
    at least they played it this year .... didn't they cancel last year due to rain, but in fact due to injuries and limited available players ?

Well, sort of they played it. Two hand touch. Many starters were held out and did not play. It’s safe to say that the staff is fearful of losing anyone as they are so thin and underdeveloped that it’s almost embarrassing. Last years excuse was just that, an excuse as the fans were outraged there was no game. This year’s, played indoors, was not well attended and was little more than a light scrimmage. The charade continues.