Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Youngstown St. off season

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    The non-conference schedule is set with Samford , Howard, Duquesne and Robert Morris the first 4 games. After the Butler fiasco this past season, can one of the cupcakes bite them again ? Stay tuned.

BTW PN, can’t argue with your analysis. Wolf was far more successful, an effective recruiter and didn’t damage YSU as this current clown is doing. His sin was not getting a decent DC because he had everything pointed in a championship direction. But then you got Strollo calling the shots and everything gets fuc ked up.
    wow, I didn't have big issue with YSU's previous OOC slates ... good FBS and 2 weak FCS teams, given they play tough MVFC slate. But for 2019, a year with 4 OOC games .. they have no FBS, and now play 2 middling teams and 2 weak teams. Samford finished 6-5 with stud QB graduating, and Duquense surprised us with their 1st round handling of Towson, only to get smoked by SDSU in 2nd round .. so they remain a questionable auto-bid playoff contender, but certainly at least a team with a pulse. YSU needs to win 3 of 4 or season is probably dead in water. Hard to imagine them doing better than 4-4 in MVFC, so porbably needs to win 4 of 4 OOC to have a shot at playoffs at 8-4.

Intersting tidbits ... last time FCS played 12 game season was 2013, YSU went 8-4 (losses to 14-1 NDSU, 9-4 SDSU, 9-4 ISUr, and 6-5 SIU, they beat 6-7 Pitt) and got wrongly left out of playoffs for 2nd year in a row. 2012 they went 7-4 (only losses to 13-1 Mich St, 15-0 NDSU, 9-5 SDSU, and 7-5 UNI) .. IMO, they got screwed 2 years in a row by committee, which I believe is what led to HC being fired ??

UNH is a lock with those results, YSU is out and fires the HC. In comes Pelini ... I think that is accurate chronology ?? Am I missing anything pertinent ?

Edit with corrections ... I had the correct YSU records, but I reversed each seasons key losses:

- 2012 YSU was 7-4 .. only losses to 14-1 NDSU, 9-4 SDSU, 9-4 ISUr, and 6-5 SIU, they beat 6-7 Pitt

- 2013 YSU was 8-4 .. only losses to 13-1 Mich St, 15-0 NDSU, 9-5 SDSU, and 7-5 UNI
    Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; January 20th, 2019 at 01:24 PM.

Only that the losses were late season and was the “reason” committee used to deny. Locally, politics are deep at YSU. There are two parochials in Youngstown, Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney. Wolford was an Ursuline guy but played ( and started for 3 years) at Kansas St. Pelini was a Cardinal Mooney guy and played at Ohio St. The “money boys” didn’t like Wolf ( and Ursuline). Even though he had program turned around from Heacock and was a solid recruiter, missing the playoffs was unforgiving. Pelini was thought to be a better hire ( and they were Cardinal Mooney guys too ), he was hired, wrecked the program, recruited a convicted rapist, pushed away media and PR responsibilities and is a poor recruiter with an average record, he gets extended. Amazing.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    Only that the losses were late season and was the “reason” committee used to deny. Locally, politics are deep at YSU. There are two parochials in Youngstown, Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney. Wolford was an Ursuline guy but played ( and started for 3 years) at Kansas St. Pelini was a Cardinal Mooney guy and played at Ohio St. The “money boys” didn’t like Wolf ( and Ursuline). Even though he had program turned around from Heacock and was a solid recruiter, missing the playoffs was unforgiving. Pelini was thought to be a better hire ( and they were Cardinal Mooney guys too ), he was hired, wrecked the program, recruited a convicted rapist, pushed away media and PR responsibilities and is a poor recruiter with an average record, he gets extended. Amazing.
    what is pathetic was how it took until 2014 and MVFC's utter domination before we started getting the bids we deserved. I'm still amazed how in 2013, the MVFC got just 2 teams and then a year later got 5 teams, but only because we completely dominate FCS in regular season and then proved it further in post seasons going 10-4 overall, but 7-1 against non-MVFC teams. And the YSU HC was fired as a result. Whatever happened to looking at entire seasons resume. Again, UNH was a lock anytime they are 7-4 and usually against weaker SOS.

It's in the past, and this year was a little better than usual for selection committee .. other than still trying to understand how 2 Southland teams with 6-4 records make it and a MVFC team with same 6-4 record against tougher SOS did not. In fact, three 6-4 teams made it in over 6-4 ISUb.

POint being, your HC was fired because of this and now you have Pelini as a result ...

Top FCS Ruler

Not only did we lose one of the best passing QBs in FCS history, but also an AA DE and an AA WR. Let's also include, among others, our starting MLB and leading tackler.

YSU signees? If I've got this correct(correct it if not), the Penguins have signed a couple of Mr. Football in Ohio finalists, a couple of 300+ pound O-Linemen, a big 3*** DE, a highly sought after 2** QB, A LB that had at least 12 FCS and 2 FBS offers, a huge Center who xferred in from West VA and started for them, and also return Nathan Mays your big Sr. QB. Add to that a new DC that some are excited about. Hmmm... cry me a river.

NLOID looks to be another bust for YSU. They will sign some players tomorrow but most appear to be undersized, marginal, held little interest for recruiting by other schools and are not at the positions needed (ol,dl ). Lots of walk-ons of local players , adding nothing but PR and not talent. Bozo brings in another stinker class. The lost decade continues.

Decent class. Some kids to work with for sure if they can be developed. Not the end of the world.

Not as I see it. For sure the WVU grad transfer is legit. The 2 Fla. kids should help. I also expect Howard to help. But overall, it’s pretty average. Total of 18 overall from Early and NLOID. The massive walk on scam of local talent is a PR fraud. Bozo is doing another Heacock to the program. He hates recruiting and it shows.

If the Girard QB is a flop, then the program is in a world of hurt. Weak lines just kill the program entirely.

Our O-Line coach just left for an assistant O-Line job with the Patriots. Tough to find a replacement this late in the year... Yikes. Also, Justus Reed, our D-End transfer from Florida who sat out last year with a torn Achilles was granted a 6th year and will play this coming year.

Good news and bad news. If Reed is healed, he will. Be a monster at DE. YSU stock just got elevated. Carmen Bricillo was the OL coach for nine years at YSU. He will be tough to replace. He , however joins former YSU players Derrick Rivers and Damond Patterson who are on the Patriots team. Late addition is Juco Sam Warren. He may help. Word is Bozo is holding 2-3 schollies for possible FBS transfers after spring ball. He still needs help and now needs an important coach too.

First Class FCS Ruler The Yo Show's Avatar

Well this is great scheduling news! The steel tire is back! YSU plays Akron to start the 2020 season!