Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Payton/Buchanan/Rice/Robinson Awards Finalists

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    I get it when you just look at the stats and I'm in no way saying Stick should win this award or even be in the top 3 but people who do not understand football or our system do not understand how much responsibility we put on the QB. They have no idea how important that position is to our success running the FB as well. They simply see the QB hand the ball off and think that's all the QB is doing when that's far from the truth. Yeah our QB is never going to put up the stats that other players will in other systems but those other players don't necessarily have the most responsibility for their teams success either. Pretty sure every kid thinking about playing for NDSU realizes they are not going to win a lot of personal stat based awards.

Plus, how many of those other QBs change plays at the line of scrimmage. ES has free reign to change plays if he sees something opening up. Most other QBs look to the sideline for the coach to change the play.

Stats or not, I would not trade him for any other QB on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    Plus, how many of those other QBs change plays at the line of scrimmage. ES has free reign to change plays if he sees something opening up. Most other QBs look to the sideline for the coach to change the play.

Stats or not, I would not trade him for any other QB on the list.
    agree with point you and Bisonator are making. I made the swap teams with Christion for Burks argument, and could easily have made same argument swapping Stick for Burks. And having watched Stick develop over the years, he seemed to get better each year. I think he is right up there with Jensen for his career. Jensen had a more productive senior year. But I would argue Stick was more consistent than Jensen over his 3 years starting .. I think they both started 3 years ?? I know there are rabid Jensen fans out there, but I thought he struggled a lot for consistency his first 2 seasons as starter, then put it altogether his SR year .. though on that great 2013 team. Not picking a fight with Jensen loyalists, but Stick was thrust into role earlier (Wentz injury) and played very consistently, even if not asked to do a lot early. Sorry for digressing ...

My real name is Bisontownmocks

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    agree with point you and Bisonator are making. I made the swap teams with Christion for Burks argument, and could easily have made same argument swapping Stick for Burks. And having watched Stick develop over the years, he seemed to get better each year. I think he is right up there with Jensen for his career. Jensen had a more productive senior year. But I would argue Stick was more consistent than Jensen over his 3 years starting .. I think they both started 3 years ?? I know there are rabid Jensen fans out there, but I thought he struggled a lot for consistency his first 2 seasons as starter, then put it altogether his SR year .. though on that great 2013 team. Not picking a fight with Jensen loyalists, but Stick was thrust into role earlier (Wentz injury) and played very consistently, even if not asked to do a lot early. Sorry for digressing ...
    Both Stick and Jensen had starts their redshirt freshman seasons (Stick with the Wentz injury and Jensen as an on/off again starter in 2010 with Jose Mohler).....Stick is a better QB than Jensen....Jensen might have had more "ice" in his veins....but that's about it. Neither will have to buy a beer in Fargo ever again.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

First Class FCS Ruler Derby City Duke's Avatar
    Somewhere on the Bourbon Trail between the Jim Beam and Four Roses Distilleries

Quote Originally Posted by SmallCollegeFBFan View Post

Next year the award is likely going to go to a long time NFL star with so many talented players back. Olson, Hall, Cox, Swann, Johnson, Warner, Player, Greenfield, Wheeler, and Gill are all back.
    Don't forget Rashad Robinson will return from injury at CB for JMU; 2017 all-american and 2018 pre-season all-american before his injury.
    "The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty." - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan02 View Post
    Both Stick and Jensen had starts their redshirt freshman seasons (Stick with the Wentz injury and Jensen as an on/off again starter in 2010 with Jose Mohler).....Stick is a better QB than Jensen....Jensen might have had more "ice" in his veins....but that's about it. Neither will have to buy a beer in Fargo ever again.
    You know what would be awesome!

If you guys could, in this thread, give us a game-by-game narrative of each of the NDSU careers of Wentz, Jensen, and Stick along with with their stats for each game and cumulate those stats each week as you describe each game. Some charts, showing where each of them stood at each game of their career, would be a great addition. Once we have that all completely reviewed and digested that info, I think we’ll have a solid foundation upon we we can intelligently determine the 2018 Payton Award winner.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    You know what would be awesome!

If you guys could, in this thread, give us a game-by-game narrative of each of the NDSU careers of Wentz, Jensen, and Stick along with with their stats for each game and cumulate those stats each week as you describe each game. Some charts, showing where each of them stood at each game of their career, would be a great addition. Once we have that all completely reviewed and digested that info, I think we’ll have a solid foundation upon we we can intelligently determine the 2018 Payton Award winner.
    touche' ... but there was actually a point (i.e. historical context as a Bison QB) to that little tangent having to do with how good Stick is, but still not worthy IMO of top 3 for Payton award this year .. but still way more worthy than Burk. But I still could have seen at least 3 or 4 other players a little ahead of Stick, but way way head of Burk.

But you still get a touche .. albeit with an asterisk

p.s. I still like Burk and what he does for his team.. he and his team are legit. I just don't see him even in top 10 for Payton .. would not be top 5 playing in MVFC. But do hope his injury wasn't to serious. Very nice season regardless.

All this talk about Stick and Jensen, I think you’re forgetting the legend Nick Mertens. His 2009 season was legendary.

Weber State's Josh Davis (RB) wins the Jerry Rice award as the top freshman in FCS.

https://sports.yahoo.com/weber-state...37--ncaaf.html

Here are the voting results, from that website:

The Rice Award results:
    1. Josh Davis, RB, Weber State: 71-29-15-7-3-533
    2. Jon Copeland, QB, Incarnate Word: 29-34-15-13-16-368
    3. Quay Holmes, RB, ETSU: 8-25-29-18-9-272
    4. Adrian Hope, LB, Furman: 16-14-25-19-11-268
    5. Juwon Farri, RB, Monmouth: 7-9-7-20-14-146
    6. Christian Benford, CB, Villanova: 2-8-7-17-13-110
    7. Robby Hauck, S, Montana: 1-3-5-18-10-78
    8. Jack Cook, QB, Dayton: 3-4-9-5-8-76
    9. Ulonzo Gilliam, RB, UC Davis: 2-7-4-8-3-69
    10. Andrew Edgar, WR, Illinois State: 0-4-8-8-8-60
    11. Caleb Snead, WR, Campbell: 3-4-2-6-10-59
    12. Ty Brock, QB, Sam Houston State: 4-0-7-3-8-55
    13. Jareem Westcott, RB, Stetson: 0-4-6-0-10-44
    14. Malik Hamm, DE, Lafayette: 2-1-4-2-6-36
    15. Bailey Fisher, QB, Tennessee Tech: 1-2-1-6-5-33
    16. Xavier Smith, WR, Florida A&M: 1-2-2-1-6-27
    17. Noah Larson, LB, North Dakota: 1-0-4-1-7-26
    18. Julius Chestnut, RB, Sacred Heart: 2-1-1-0-1-18
    19. Mohammed Diakite, CB, Penn: 0-1-2-1-3-15
    20. Skyler Perry, QB, Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 0-0-0-0-2-2
    A first-place vote was worth five points, a second-place vote four points, a third-place vote three points, a fourth-place vote two points and a fifth-place vote one point.
    Idaho * Portland State * Cal State-Fullerton * Eastern Washington * Nevada * Delaware * Southern Utah * Youngstown State * Hofstra * Montana State * North Dakota State * Western Illinois * Cal Poly * Massachusetts * Wofford * Northern Arizona * Coastal Carolina * Weber State *
    ...the only visiting teams to win in Washington-Grizzly Stadium

UofMMan1122: "We are officially the most badass state in the union. "

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post
    All this talk about Stick and Jensen, I think you’re forgetting the legend Nick Mertens. His 2009 season was legendary.
    It is almost as legendary as SDSU's exits from the playoffs.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"I think you might have missed my comments. Princeton's QB John Lovett is the best player in the FCS" - World

Cal-Davis Coach Hawkins wins Robinson award....

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...20346209254304

1. Dan Hawkins, UC Davis: 24-23-19-17-14-317
    2. Brian Bohannon, Kennesaw State: 30-17-14-16-12-304
    3. Dan Hunt, Colgate: 16-12-20-18-18-242
    4. Curt Mallory, Indiana State: 23-16-12-6-7-234
    5. Chris Klieman, North Dakota State: 11-15-20-14-21-224
    6. Joe Harasymiak, Maine: 18-16-12-9-12-220
    7. Bob Surace, Princeton: 7-18-17-19-11-207
    8. Eric Morris, Incarnate Word: 12-10-13-14-18-185
    9. (Tie) Tom Matukewicz, Southeast Missouri: 2-7-9-12-9-98
    9. (Tie) Randy Sanders, ETSU: 4-8-6-7-14-98
    1-AA is tops!!