Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Payton/Buchanan/Rice/Robinson Awards Finalists

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    That Burks is even top 3 blows my mind .. his pass stats suck (116 attempts, 1000 pass yards total), his run stats are ok (900 yards, 4.8 ypc) ... good for a QB but that is their offense and they played an incredibly weak SOS. Swap teams for Burks and Christion, and Burks is maybe the 5th or 6th best QB in MVFC, if that .. if he even could stay healthy .. I think the ISUb guy is better than Burks, certainly comparable; while Christion would have tore up the Big South and broken records playing in that weak conference. They tarnished the award this year with these selections. The Princeton guy deserves more props than Burks .. he actually threw the ball and ran the ball against similar level competition.

Here is QB BUrks stat line when he finally played a team with a heartbeat on defense, Wofford .. and Kennesaw St won 13-10:

Rushing .. 10 carries for 7 yards
    Passing .. 6 of 14 for 79 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Pick

This is a Payton Ward top 3 nominee ??

Can you imagine if he had to play a real FCS schedule ?
    I understand what you're saying, but picking one game against arguably the toughest defense KSU has faced all year in a cold rainy playoff game isn't exactly fair. The way he runs our option doesn't necessarily mean he's going to rack up stats, but his reads and pitches are what make him so valuable.

Again, I get it... we have a cupcake schedule, but as things stand right now we are 1 of 8 teams left and Burks is the biggest reason (offensively) for that success.

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Yea, these three picks are interesting, I would have had Christion, Maier (although his stock went down a little bit with me after watching the UNI game) and maybe Stick or Hodges. Sticks numbers don't really merit the award in my opinion, he just wins football games.
    Stick at least proves he can throw it when needed against teams that actually play defense .. he clearly passes way way better than Burk, and I would say he runs better too. but like you said, NDSU does not ask him to win games by himself like KSU does .... never mind, were talking about MVFC vs the Big South. So while Stick's numbers don't scream top 3 .. in fact, one might say they barely whisper it ... his running and passing (3rd in QBR behind guys from San Diego and Hampton !!) resume is very strong. Christion is 5th, 4th was guy from Stetson ... I didn't even know Stetson was an FCS program. So let's just agree Stick and Christion are #1 and #2.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/...t/individual/8

Look as hard as you can for Burks ... he didn't even make the NCAA list ... why ? Too few passes.

AGS FCS Champion

I honestly donít have an issue w Taryn out of the top 3, but to not be 4 is a ****ing JOKE. Iím sure he will say it doesnít bother him but I would imagine the team might have a point to prove this weekend now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Quote Originally Posted by ksu_owls View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but picking one game against arguably the toughest defense KSU has faced all year in a cold rainy playoff game isn't exactly fair. The way he runs our option doesn't necessarily mean he's going to rack up stats, but his reads and pitches are what make him so valuable.

Again, I get it... we have a cupcake schedule, but as things stand right now we are 1 of 8 teams left and Burks is the biggest reason (offensively) for that success.
    I like him a lot (my kind of player) and what KSU has accomplished the last 2 years ... but neither of those things make him top 3 for Payton award.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    I honestly don’t have an issue w Taryn out of the top 3, but to not be 4 is a ****ing JOKE. I’m sure he will say it doesn’t bother him but I would imagine the team might have a point to prove this weekend now.

it would be completely douchbag move if people on committee were still thinking about last years JMU game .... and I mean really sh-tty douchebag move if they were thinking about it at all. Nothing else makes any sense that he wound up 7th.

AGS FCS Champion

it would be completely douchbag move if people on committee were still thinking about last years JMU game .... and I mean really sh-tty douchebag move if they were thinking about it at all. Nothing else makes any sense that he wound up 7th.
    Tbh that probably is. Oh well. Iíd rather have a motivated team this weekend anyways.

I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

I like him a lot (my kind of player) and what KSU has accomplished the last 2 years ... but neither of those things make him top 3 for Payton award.
    And honestly, I couldn't have told you what the Payton Award was 2 years ago, so I discount my own opinion on the subject. I'm just a little defensive lol

Burks was the first ever football player to sign at KSU-- a school with no football program at the time. His leadership is what has made him so valuable to us. He's not the most athletic guy on the team or even the offense, but he doesn't make many mistakes (well, unless he throws the ball). I think if he has a solid game against SDSU, which will be the hardest opponent he's ever played, then it should add some validity to his stats. That's a big IF... SDSU is way better than any of our conference opponents lol

My real name is Bisontownmocks

TC being at 7 tells me a lot of midwest and not ECB voting was shifted to Stick....this could be interesting.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Tbh that probably is. Oh well. I’d rather have a motivated team this weekend anyways.

Do you think his teammates felt slighted by this outcome and believes the committee disrespected him?
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"I think you might have missed my comments. Princeton's QB John Lovett is the best player in the FCS" - World

They tarnished the award this year with these selections. The Princeton guy deserves more props than Burks .. he actually threw the ball and ran the ball against similar level competition.

Here is QB BUrks stat line when he finally played a team with a heartbeat on defense, Wofford .. and Kennesaw St won 13-10:

Rushing .. 10 carries for 7 yards
    Passing .. 6 of 14 for 79 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Pick

This is a Payton Ward top 3 nominee ??

Can you imagine if he had to play a real FCS schedule ?
    Nope. Ivy League competition is far better than Big South.

I have no idea what they will look like, but if you add his stats vs. GaSt, Samford, and JaxSt (regulation only) to those Woffy stats, youíll have a relatively fair apples-to-apples comparison with a significantly larger sample size.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.