Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I think the issue of Transfers & Graduate Transfers is a pretty big deal in College Football these days. It certainly is here in UGa Country.

The Citadel, VMI, Wofford, and to some extent, Furman, all have unique (and interesting) situations when it comes to the Graduate Transfer aspect. The Citadel’s is more unique than the other 3 & CIT seemed to decide to ‘wade into’ the Grad Transfer pool last off-season, after occasionally ‘dipping their toes in the water’ in prior years & perhaps, has decided to ‘jump into the deep end’ this year with the SHSU ‘Recruit’ & offering others this year that have announced their intent to transfer (All-American LB from Colgate, for example).

Interesting to note that your only comment about that which makes the situation unique at The Citadel is to minimize it. If you are OK with 4 Grad Transfers that have never been part of the Corps of Cadets wearing “Honor, “Duty,” or “Respect” on the backs of their Citadel Football jerseys, would 14 be OK? How about 40? How many is too many in your view? How do you think you might have responded if Furman had flaunted NCAA rules last Fall & rolled out of the locker room at JHS with “Just as Much Honor,” “Just as Much Duty,” and “Just as Much Respect” on the backs of their white & purple jerseys?

Trying to turn the issue into something about my opinion is a weak response. I honestly don’t care if The Citadel puts the entire population of Perry Correctional Institute or the entire roster of the Carolina Panthers on their Football Team. As long as they can find a way to do it within the rules of all governing bodies, it’s ‘on’ the Teams I support to find a way to beat them. I’m just very surprised, given what I thought I knew about The Citadel, that Alums seem to be OK with this approach to Player acquisition for their Football Team.
    My point is that we don't use that many of them. If we did have a big number, I would be concerned. We don't. Ergo, I am not concerned. The whole jersey thing is just a red herring. I am pretty sure that each and every one of these grad transfers believes in those traits as well. We have not had any issues with any of the grad transfers we have had. They were squared away young men, at least the ones I heard speak at press conferences, and I am glad they got to see the Corps up close even if they were not part of it. We will not tie ours hands behind our back by not using a legitimate rule just to please one disgruntled fan from the conference. To be honest I am more concerned with the actual huge numbers of "undergrad" transfers whom seem to bounce around and, which many SOCON schools seem to have no problem adding to their rosters. I think that is a bigger issue and open to legitimate abuse/concern. Yeah, and we got none of them.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    My point is that we don't use that many of them. If we did have a big number, I would be concerned. We don't. Ergo, I am not concerned.

The whole jersey thing is just a red herring.

We will not tie ours hands behind our back by not using a legitimate rule just to please one disgruntled fan from the conference.

To be honest I am more concerned with the actual huge numbers of "undergrad" transfers whom seem to bounce around and, which many SOCON schools seem to have no problem adding to their rosters. I think that is a bigger issue and open to legitimate abuse/concern. Yeah, and we got none of them.
    1) What is a “big number?”
    2) Why would a “big number” concern you?

3) A “red herring” that the NCAA thought was important enough to write an exception to a rule about AND to enforce that rule against Vanderbilt & UCF in recent years. Seems odd that the NCAA would care more about protecting that which makes Military Academies exceptional & the ability of those Teams to overtly highlight those exceptional characteristics than Alums of 1 of those Military Academies would.
    4) Has any NCAA School/Team that enjoys this NCAA-protected exception, other than The Citadel, ever had Graduate Transfers as Members of their Athletics Teams?

5) FUBeAR is neither disgruntled nor gruntled about The Citadel’s Player acquisition strategies/tactics. As previously stated, as long as the rules of all governing bodies are followed, FUBeAR don’t care. As much as you seem to want to make this conversation about FUBeAR, it’s just not. It’s about The Citadel’s apparently increasing emphasis on actively recruiting Graduate Transfers AND, I believe, being the only Military Academy in the NCAA to utilize such Athletes. That is what makes this conversation-worthy; not who is bringing up the topic nor your repeated (and incorrect) opinion as to the motivation of ‘the messenger.’

6) Last 3 sentences...evoked thoughts of Matthew 7:5 in FUBeAR’s mind.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

UTC adds a few more to the staff https://gomocs.com/news/2019/1/10/fo...ing-staff.aspx

Two more former Furman coaches/players. Continues the Paladins slow takeover of all the SoCon coaching positions.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

It appears Samford is bringing in a transfer QB.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-...ng-to-samford/

Samford has something like 9 or 10 QBs on the roster currently, so probably is not a depth move.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    It appears Samford is bringing in a transfer QB.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-...ng-to-samford/

Samford has something like 9 or 10 QBs on the roster currently, so probably is not a depth move.
    I believe you predicted Coach Hatcher would be hitting the Xfer QB market this off-season...yes?
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I believe you predicted Coach Hatcher would be hitting the Xfer QB market this off-season...yes?
    Well, this is not outside of Samford's MO during most of the last decade. Prior to Hodges, Samford's last two starting QBs (Eubanks and Summerlin) were both transfers. As I look back, Samford had a number of other transfer QBs on the roster pre-Summerlin that did not play much (Fraites from FIU, Malouf from Memphis, Mortensen from Arkansas). Of course, a lot of that pre-dates Hatcher's tenure.

I guess the question I would have is whether this shows the coaching staff's lack of confidence in post-Hodges QB options on the roster.
    FU all the time.

I think if one knew the actual number of those QB's on scholarship, one would see the concern. I don't look at it as a lack of confidence in the options currently available, but what it does is hopefully provide some good competition in the spring/fall and also prevents a tFr. from potentially being the backup QB choice next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sudog03 View Post
    I think if one knew the actual number of those QB's on scholarship, one would see the concern. I don't look at it as a lack of confidence in the options currently available, but what it does is hopefully provide some good competition in the spring/fall and also prevents a tFr. from potentially being the backup QB choice next season.
    Samford, for reasons I am not entirely clear on, has a roster that dwarfs most of the rest of the SoCon. I think in fall practice they listed like 110+ players.

I don't necessarily think you bring a guy like this in to be the day 1 starter. He hardly played at USF. Most of the time, guys that hardly play and then transfer more often than not were not playing for a reason. Eubanks was a good example: he was a 4 star player out of high school, played for a big program, but wasn't half as good as Hodges.
    FU all the time.

A large amount of walkons helps the university enrollment wise, especially as it relates to male enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by sudog03 View Post
    A large amount of walkons helps the university enrollment wise, especially as it relates to male enrollment.
    I'm sure there's a reason and a few of those guys may be getting money from somewhere other than scholarship spots.

That aside, I'm not sure how you run a practice with 10 QBs, though.
    FU all the time.