Page 62 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Re: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonjoe View Post
    I just noticed the little "e" in your moniker. I kinda thought you were FUBAR after a few posts. Now I know you are. either that or you truly are little e, Dale Earnhardt
    I thought it was pretty obvious....but I guess I should Fan-splain it for some....

FUBeAR

FU = Furman University - Alma Mater & Played/Coached there

BeAR = Mercer BEARS - Son's Alma Mater (currently a Grad Student & employee as a Software Engineer in their Eng. & Research Center (MERC)) & Played there; FUBeAR founded the Football Families Group in their start-up years and was as actively involved with the program's start-up as they requested as well as organized Home/Road Tailgates for Families, etc....as a SUPPORTIVE, but non-helicoptering Parent should be, if possible. Came to love a whole lot about Mercer U during those 4 or 5 years - from the President on down...So...still a Bears Fan.

e = using a lower case "e" and uppercase FUBAR is a play on the military-originated acronym of the phrase "Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition" (something like that)...and alludes to multiple aspects of FUBeAR as a message-board persona and to the man tapping the keyboard in his 'name.' It also alludes to the predicament of being a BIG Fan of 2 Teams in the same conference that have come to be fairly rivalrous and contentious with one another.

Put it all together and you have FUBeAR.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I believe there have been quite a few Coaching changes up in the ‘Whee. Any Cats fans care to update/edify us?
    It's complicated...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    It's complicated...
    Pretty "complicated" down in Maconga too...

Just lost TE Coach, who has been there since Day1, to West Georgia. Bigger role for him there at UWG, but I hate to see a Mercer 'old-timer' (can they have those already?) leave the nest.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Pretty "complicated" down in Maconga too...

Just lost TE Coach, who has been there since Day1, to West Georgia. Bigger role for him there at UWG, but I hate to see a Mercer 'old-timer' (can they have those already?) leave the nest.
    For Mercer, I guess that is 6 new coaches on the staff (Adams, Legg, Fleischacker, Hawkins, Wright, and whomever now coaches TEs).
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Commissioner John Iamarino announces his retirement

Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino today announced his retirement, effective June 30. Iamarino has been with the conference for the past 13 years. He is the second-longest serving commissioner in the 98-year history of the Southern Conference.

During Iamarino’s term, the conference launched its own digital network, created a hall of fame, successfully returned the basketball championships to Asheville, North Carolina, increased the number of league sports from 19 to 22, and initiated the SoCon Academic Exchange, the first academically oriented collaboration in Southern Conference history.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArtic...D_-RlrcK1IQ7o8

Is this good or bad for the conference?

Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

"Go Cats"
    - catamount man

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    For Mercer, I guess that is 6 new coaches on the staff (Adams (DC & ILB's), Legg (OC & QB's), Fleischacker (OLB's), Hawkins (DL), Wright (CB's), and whomever now coaches TEs).
    Math major @ FU, were you?

Yep - the holdovers from 2018 (as of 3/15/19) and their respective tenures are...

Bobby Lamb - Head Coach (since 2012...really 2011, but they didn't have Players until 2012)
    Casey Vogt - Running Game Coordinator & OL Coach (since 2012)
    Carter Barfield - Running Backs Coach & Co-Recruiting Coordinator (Co-Recruiting Coordinator is newly added role for Coach Barfield)(since 2012)
    Mitch Doolittle - Safeties Coach (since 2012, interrupted by 1 year as DC @ Presbyterian in 2017)
    La'Donte Harris - WR Coach & Co-Recruiting Coordinator (since 2017)

I also added the roles of the new Coaches into your post.

Lots of Coaching changes throughout the SoCon this off-season. Seems, to FUBeAR, to be more than in the past.

In other Mercer Football news - https://mercerbears.com/news/2019/3/...next-week.aspx

MACON, Ga. – Mercer head football coach Bobby Lamb announced his program's 2019 spring practice schedule on Friday, unveiling 15 future dates that the Bears will use to prep for the upcoming fall season.

Spring practice will start on Wednesday, March 20 and conclude on Saturday, April 13.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post

Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino today announced his retirement, effective June 30. Iamarino has been with the conference for the past 13 years. He is the second-longest serving commissioner in the 98-year history of the Southern Conference.

During Iamarino’s term, the conference launched its own digital network, created a hall of fame, successfully returned the basketball championships to Asheville, North Carolina, increased the number of league sports from 19 to 22, and initiated the SoCon Academic Exchange, the first academically oriented collaboration in Southern Conference history.

I think the answer to that question depends upon who replaces him. He took A LOT of heat from the Appy, GaSou, E*Loan, Davy, and C of (up)Chuck malcontents when they thought they were bigger & more important than the venerable Southern Conference. I’m sure some of the criticisms he has received from them (and others) was deserved, but he weathered the storm & it seems to me the SoCon is very much ‘on the right track’ today.

I’m sure there are bigger issues that others may bring up, but I hope the next Commissioner will address the Football & Basketball Officiating in the SoCon as a Top Priority. It is truly horrid & Mr. Iamarino didn’t seem to have much of an inclination to address that issue.

So...”TBD” is the answer...I think he’s done a very, very good job navigating a crippled ship through troubled waters and getting it patched up & back on course. Hopefully, his successor will be able to spend less time on plugging cannon holes in the hull & more time on upgrades & improvements. Hopefully, he or she will be a GREAT HIRE. We certainly could do a lot worse than who we have had.

Also, FUBeAR hopes & prays whatever “family issues” are precipitating Mr. Iamarino’s retirement will be resolved with the best possible outcomes.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; March 16th, 2019 at 04:39 PM.

Still Waiting on the DC announcement from Chattanooga. It seems to be the worst kept secret in town...he was even in a picture in the Times Free Press a week or so ago. He has actually been on campus since Rusty’s first week, but won’t announce it due to contractual issues. He is a good one a really good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post

I think that those that expected more of him had somewhat unrealistic expectations. ASU and GSU were never going to be happy in the SoCon, and likely won't be happy long-term in the Belch. Elon was a perpetual malcontent. The College of Charleston underperformed during their entire stay in the conference with only one basketball championship. Current SoCon schools don't have the fan support to support regional "linear TV", so the move to ESPN3 was not really avoidable.

The conference had a chance at a March Madness at-large with UNCG being the first team out. The Asheville Civic Center was full for the first semifinal game and the finals sold out. The new commissioner will have the opportunity to move basketball forward although I douobt we leave Asheville - previous tournaments in Greenville and North Charleston have been poorly attended.

There are a few things that should be fixed:
    1) football scheduling is a mess with week 1 conference games and seemingly random arrangements. I know rivalries are complicated in the conference so a dedicated "rivalry weekend" would never work, but a little structure would help.
    2) Quality of officiating is probably a get-what-you-pay-for deal, and I doubt changes any time soon.
    3) The baseball tournament has attendance issues. Moving back to Charleston might help a little, but with CofC gone, I doubt it draws as well as it did in the past.
    4) To build up the basketball reputation, and hopefully get an at-large bid, the conference might try to set up a "challenge" type series with the CAA or A-10 (although I don't know how desirable it would be to those conferences ... and the bottom half of the SoCon is not good at all).

Overall, Iamarino did nothing astounding, but did a very good job of keeping the core of the conference together during a very stormy period. Maintaining the public-military-private balance has stabilized the conference. Failure to maintain this balance lead to the collapse of the old Southwestern Conference.

The Western Carolina Catamounts have added future football games against Oklahoma, Arkansas, Wake Forest, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, Campbell, and Montana

FBS -
    Oklahoma, Sept. 11, 2021
    Arkansas,
    Sept. 2, 2023
    Wake Forest,
    Sept. 6, 2025

FCS -
    -Gardner-Webb, home-and-home series in 2020 and 2021
    -Charleston Southern, home-and-home series on Sept. 3, 2022 & on Sept. 23, 2023
    -Campbell, home-and-home series -on Sept. 7, 2024 in Cullowhee and Sept. 27, 2025 at Buies Creek
    -Montana, a home-and-home series, at Grizzly Sept. 14, 2024, in Cullowhee on Aug. 30, 2025.

FUTURE WESTERN CAROLINA NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS

Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

"Go Cats"
    - catamount man