Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970
    FCS Ruler

Re: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    exactly.. matchups. And I think the SoCon is relevant (5th best conference?) but we do need to get a round farther in the playoffs - no doubt that would help our perception to see a Woff or Furman in the quarters or semifinals.
    Relevant was a bit strong of a term. Based on the FCS playoff structure, the SoCon will always have a quarterfinal team. They just need to win because that is the first OOC playoff game.

Talk to SDSU and UNI about the geographic FCS alignment. The SoCon has no argument. I think they are tied for 4th best conference. Southland and SoCon overall but KSU is a better individual team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No good story starts with I was sober......

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    It is all about matchups. Furman beat Wofford but Wofford won the SoCon. Wofford lost to KSU. You have to beat the team you play. I like the SoCon teams. I have lived in Spartanburg for 21 years. SDSU beat KSU after Wofford lost to KSU. No MVFC team runs the option.

I hope the SoCon becomes relevant again. I hope it happens this year. It helps FCS football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I still think that few fans nationally seem to appreciate the significance of the SoCon's recent transformation. 5 years ago the conference lost two longtime football programs that were not just conference-level good, but national-level good (and had been for decades). There isn't another conference at this level that has had to endure that.

Frankly, the losses of App State/GSU would have likely put other conferences into obscurity. How would the MVFC look if it lost NDSU and UNI in the same years? Or the CAA losing James Madison and Delaware? I personally think it is impressive that within 5 years of losing two of the historically great programs at this level we are discussing the SoCon again.

I also think there are other factors at play that has contributed to a reordering of things. As I've mentioned numerous times, the SoCon is geographically situated in the nation's biggest football hotbed. There has been an influx of D1 football teams in this region in the last few years, and that is naturally going to dilute any one team's ability to hoard talent on a roster.

There is a vast increase in demand for players without necessarily a corresponding increase in supply. This is not a problem schools in the Big Sky and MVFC have - or at least not to the same level. Would NDSU be as big a fish if there were 9 D1 football schools in their state (like South Carolina has) and another 7 in Minnesota (like Georgia)?

Admittedly, some of it too is coaching and recruiting. SoCon schools haven't, perhaps, adapted as well as they should have - Furman chief among them. I think the Furman program went about its business thinking that the things they did for decades to stay relevant would keep working and failed to grasp the new world of college football (or at least fully appreciate it). I think that is changing, though.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler PaladinNation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I still think that few fans nationally seem to appreciate the significance of the SoCon's recent transformation. 5 years ago the conference lost two longtime football programs that were not just conference-level good, but national-level good (and had been for decades). There isn't another conference at this level that has had to endure that.

Frankly, the losses of App State/GSU would have likely put other conferences into obscurity. How would the MVFC look if it lost NDSU and UNI in the same years? Or the CAA losing James Madison and Delaware? I personally think it is impressive that within 5 years of losing two of the historically great programs at this level we are discussing the SoCon again.

I also think there are other factors at play that has contributed to a reordering of things. As I've mentioned numerous times, the SoCon is geographically situated in the nation's biggest football hotbed. There has been an influx of D1 football teams in this region in the last few years, and that is naturally going to dilute any one team's ability to hoard talent on a roster.

There is a vast increase in demand for players without necessarily a corresponding increase in supply. This is not a problem schools in the Big Sky and MVFC have - or at least not to the same level. Would NDSU be as big a fish if there were 9 D1 football schools in their state (like South Carolina has) and another 7 in Minnesota (like Georgia)?

Admittedly, some of it too is coaching and recruiting. SoCon schools haven't, perhaps, adapted as well as they should have - Furman chief among them. I think the Furman program went about its business thinking that the things they did for decades to stay relevant would keep working and failed to grasp the new world of college football (or at least fully appreciate it). I think that is changing, though.
    Putting a lens on Furman - PaladinFan made a great point above ^ while the Lamb era at Furman was coming to a close Furman Football was a tired program, zero funds were being put into the game day experience, and schools like Elon and Wofford started dominating Furman. Our recruiting became real spotty.
    Hell, it's easy to forget the pressbox was condemned by the Fire Marshall and that helped stimulate and bring to real-need the stadium upgrade.

Heading into year three of CCF football, all you have to do is put into your Tweet Deck a few Furman Football search terms and Furman Football is obviously relevant with high school football players. Furman is also aggressively pushing out it's recruiting footprint, Hendrik and Lusk have recruiting ties in Texas, other coaches have connections in Oklahoma, Ohio, Illinois. New DB coach Rod Ojong is a great example of being relevant. Ojong is a hot-ticket coach, he served as a grad assistant at UNC, last season coached at Austin Peay and was highly recommended to CCH. In just a few months he's made a large impact on his player group, getting Quandarius Weems to come back for a redshirt senior season could prove to be a key for the Furman defense in 2019.

Still, the reality is -- the Socon needs to win against OOC competition during the regular season as well as to get back some of our lost national cred back someone has to step up and challenge past the quarter-finals.

I think the real issue with the SoCon's prestige is lack of a breakout team. Conference championships are often won by 2-loss teams.
    Furman hasn't gotten the memo yet that football season starts the last week of August, not the end of September. Samford seems to randomly forget to show up for some games but always shows up for Wofford. The Citadel team that ran the table a few years ago could easily have finished middle of the pack without a few miraculous breaks. Wofford had a similar season two years ago.

Parity produces interesting Saturdays, but doesn' t generate the same prestige as playing in the Clemson Conference, Alabama-Georgia Conference, or NDSU Conference.