Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
I think it is notable that Furman did not take a QB this recruiting class. They have some PWO types, but were not really active in recruiting that position.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but that signals two things to me. First, Furman's coaches feel comfortable with what they have with their freshmen QBs. It also signals a change from most coaching staffs, which have opted to take a QB in every class. That avoids a backlog at the position and allows Furman to develop depth and not have to turn the reigns over to a freshman or redshirt senior, which has pretty much been the case during every transition the last ten years or so.
Wofford didn't go after QB's either. It avoids a situation where you have too many QB's - a major problem for the Terriers 4-5 years ago when we played QB by committee with little success, but does put you at risk of burning redshirts like we did in 2016 when we lost our top 2 QB's very early (although under the new rules, Joe Newman would not have lost a year). I personally think option teams should bring in a QB every year. Since few high schools run the option, there is often a learning curve bring QB's up to speed.