Thread: How to measure cannibalization ??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS Champion
    My Team
    Illinois State

How to measure cannibalization ??

My team didn't make playoffs, so i had a little more free time than some of you. but the playoff results got me thinking about conference cannibalization.

And before I throw some stats out there which I think will help meaure conference cannibalization as it relates to FCS selection committee peformance this year .. I want to first congratulate the selection committee for doing a decent job in a very tough year. There were some mistakes, but it seemed like there were far less glaring mistakes than in past seasons. I also want to say it is still generally improving since the utter stupidity that went on from 2011-13 that saw MVFC get 2, 3, and 2 teams. Biggest mistake this year did come at expense of MVFC .. getting just 3 teams, but again ... far less glaring issues in a year that will go down as the "Year of Parity".

So here is a measure of conference cannibalization I think fairly/objectively represents how much a conference cannibalizes itself. The committe should pay much closer attention to this .. it is simple math, nothing more, if you accept Massey picking the top 6 teams from each conference. I'll only use the top 3 conferences with arguable premise these 3 are equally good if you focus ONLY on their top 6 teams .. granted it is per Massey, but if you look these 6 teams, you could maybe argue 1 or 2 of the 18 not being top 6 in their respective conferences .. those 6 teams are in Massey order:

- MVFC: NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISUb, ISUr, WIU
    - CAA: Maine, JMU, Delaware, Towson, SB, Elon
    - Big Sky: EWU, Weber, UCD, Mont St, Idaho St, Mont

So the measure is simply to count the # of games played by each of the above teams against the other 5 top 6 teams in each conference. So each team can play a max of 5 games against top 6 teams ... you can't play yourself, it's frowned upon (on airplanes anyway, thanks a lot Bin Laden ). So counting by conference:

- MVFC has 10 total teams, so our top 6 teams logically played the most at 27 of 30 possible games against each other (90%), and went 14-13 in those 27 games; for entire MVFC it is on avg 8 of 9 = 89% ... close enough

- CAA has 12 total teams, so their top 6 teams played 2nd most at 20 of 30 possible games against each other (67%), and went 10-10 in those 20 games; for entire league it is on avg 8 of 11 = 73% .. close enough

- Big Sky has 14 teams, so their top 6 teams logically played the least at just 18 of 30 possible games against each other (60%), and went 9-9 in those 18 games; for entire league ist is on avg 8 of 13 = 62% .. close enough

So the obvious point being if we on-leveled the top 6 teams records so that all cannibalized each other at same % ... take MVFC at 90% ....

- MVFC would have same # of losses
    - CAA would have 7 more games with 7 more losses shared among those 6 teams
    - Big Sky would have 9 more games with 9 more losses shared among those 6 teams

How would that have impacted playoff selections ??

The math is very simple and objective .. the only aspect that can really be argued is picking top 6 per Massey and my assumption the 3 conferences are pretty equal in their top 6. Also, this does not factor anything in for OOC results or SOS.

Thoughts on this ? Any flaws in my thinking ?
    Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; December 2nd, 2018 at 09:30 AM.