• UC Davis

23 28.05%
  • Eastern Washington

59 71.95%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: Quarterfinal: #6 UC Davis @ #3 Eastern Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Grizalltheway View Post
    You guys are still playing in a ****ing barn, whereas the grizzles aren't playing anywhere. Just zip it already.
    FYP

The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar

How incredibly observant of you.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    FYP

Let the rubes have their fun....152-24 in our barn....

AGS FCS Champion

Fun fact and I don’t think we lost anyone this week but EWU is down 9 starters from the beginning of the season.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGoldAg View Post
    EWU steamrolled the Aggies big time in the first game and there's no doubt that they will be heavily favored at home again in this one. However, I think the Ags will come into this one with a bit of a chip on their shoulders after the way EWU continued to pour it on after the game was clearly over in the previous game. The Ags will not forget that EWU coach, Aaron Best, directed Barriere to throw for yet another TD with 41 seconds to go in the game when the score was 52-20 in favor of EWU.

The following week the Eagles trounced Portland State 74-23. That trend of running up the score has not gone unnoticed by Weber State head coach, Jay Hill. As reported in a Davis Enterprise article, Hill had this to say about it:

"No. 2 Weber State head coach Jay Hill, in an apparent shot at Eastern Washington’s Aaron Best, said “We don’t blow people out to get style points. We don’t believe in that. It’s not ethical.” …In the final two games of the regular season, Eastern played its starters late into the game in wins of 59-20 over the Aggies and 74-23 over Portland State. Against UCD, Eastern’s starting quarterback threw a touchdown pass with just 41 seconds left and the Eagles leading, 52-20. Said Best, “Our motto was ‘Leave No Doubt,’ and we did that all year.'"

https://www.davisenterprise.com/spor...playoff-match/
    So why did we kneel on it in a one score game inside the NAU 5 with a minute left?

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post

Let the rubes have their fun....152-24 in our barn....
    Rubes? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kalm View Post
    Fun fact and I don’t think we lost anyone this week but EWU is down 9 starters from the beginning of the season.
    Nice statistic KALM. Guys are missing that I've already forgotten about. Zac Eagle, Taylor at RT. Speaks really well of the depth that the staff has put together.

Quote Originally Posted by kalm View Post
    So why did we kneel on it in a one score game inside the NAU 5 with a minute left?
    So why did Best have his #1 QB still in the game and throwing for a totally unnecessary TD on 3rd down from the 6 with 41 seconds to go with the Eagles up by 32 points at the time. The values that the game can teach is bigger than the final score and Best sent the wrong message to his players about respect and when enough is enough. I don't put it on the players; they're just following the coach's lead and Jay Hill obviously feels the same way.

AGS FCS Champion

So why did Best have his #1 QB still in the game and throwing for a totally unnecessary TD on 3rd down from the 6 with 41 seconds to go with the Eagles up by 32 points at the time. The values that the game can teach is bigger than the final score and Best sent the wrong message to his players about respect and when enough is enough. I don't put it on the players; they're just following the coach's lead and Jay Hill obviously feels the same way.
    You made the assertion and yet chose to avoid my question. But I'll answer anyway....

I don't like running the score up either. I didn't like it when Mike Leach did it to us earlier in the season up a bunch and still throwing out routes to preserve clock inside of 2 minutes. But I also know there are behind the scenes reasons for doing this.

For example in the Davis game you're still trying to work reps for a QB on a national championship contender who's started only a half season's worth of games against an opponent you may face again.

In the case of PSU I watched the Viking o-line repeatedly go after Big Sky MVP JT Tiuli's knees on blocks and they eventually knocked starting All Big Sky DE Keenan Williams out of the game and probably lost for the season.

Not to mention that Jay Hill's broad brush comment of playing starters late in the game was nothing more than a cheap shot. We had 4th string RB's scoring on 70 yard rush plays against both Davis and PSU. We pulled starters all season in blow outs. It didn't happen at every position all the time as I'm sure it didn't for Weber either....oh wait, Weber lacked the offense to have many true blowouts.

If Hawkins or Hill want to make a statement they'll get their chance too. Or not.

Like I stated, I don't care for it if its unnecessary but there's typically more to the story. But thanks for your attempted lesson in ethics.

AGS FCS Champion

Well, hopefully Hawkins can use that lesson and put it to work for the aggies...