Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SoCon next year

Re: SoCon next year

IMO there's a correlation with the team's overall success/potential for success and the number of fifth year guys who come back.

Wofford, for various reasons, was not good in 2013-2015 and that was the time we kept losing players to grad school.

concerning rosters and recruiting…

I'm not sure how many snaps Furman's SO and FR 0-linemen played in 2018 but I bet it was a ton. By 2020 the play count for this group of linemen if they can stay healthy should lead to a stout o-line in 2020.

Not sure if this is new or just that with social media we now see it posted, Furman has a bunch of PWO offers out there — most if not all are high academic. Many fall into the athlete category, some are linebackers, a few are linemen. After watching the success of TR native and walk-on Bo McKinney I'm led to believe this is a depth strategy by the coaching staff.

Furman has one recruiting announcing he's reporting in January — rumor is two more are joining him.

Curious how many other SoCon schools are seeing an increase in PKO offers and do you have any players starting school in January that aren't transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Our O-Line loses ONE player in the 10 man 2 deep rotation. That unit should be VERY good. RBs(hey sometimes we do run the ball) will be better if any different with the emergence of Fr. DeMarcus Ware who led the team in rushing this year. Even with the loss of Kelvin McKnight, who you can't really replace, WRs are not a concern at all as we have tons of gifted players at this position. Now, you don't even consider saying you can replace a Devlin Hodges, as that would be an asinine statement. I think talk of a xfer QB, however, is totally wrong. Liam Welch will be a RS Jr. who has been patient and was always projected as the next man up. He knows the system thoroughly, but how much the lack of game experience will hamper his development is an unknown factor at this time. I can say that he is very talented, and watching him in practice gives Samford fans a lot of optimism.

The Samford defense losses some really good ones, but has lots of experienced players returning. Obviously, Ahmad Gooden will be missed - tremendously missed. LB Aaron Harris, and DT Horace Roberts will need to be replaced also. If Jr. LB Aaron Atkinson, out this year with injury, can come back healthy that will really strengthen that unit. He is a fine player. Even with the loss of Ahmad, I look for the front 7 to be pretty solid. The Samford secondary, that was injury riddled this year, should be much improved. Lots of young players got plenty of PT, and hopefully S Koi Freeman returns from injury. That guy is a stud of a DB.

Lots of questions - YES, but lots of talent also. It will be interesting to see how we do in the KO Classic against YSU. Samford is not quite as depleted as some folks on here think, and probably hope.
    Liam will surprise a lot of people! Is he a Delvin Hodge, no but he is very talented, smart and can make all the throws!

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post

I'm not sure how many snaps Furman's SO and FR 0-linemen played in 2018 but I bet it was a ton. By 2020 the play count for this group of linemen if they can stay healthy should lead to a stout o-line in 2020.

Not sure if this is new or just that with social media we now see it posted, Furman has a bunch of PWO offers out there — most if not all are high academic. Many fall into the athlete category, some are linebackers, a few are linemen. After watching the success of TR native and walk-on Bo McKinney I'm led to believe this is a depth strategy by the coaching staff.

Furman has one recruiting announcing he's reporting in January — rumor is two more are joining him.

Curious how many other SoCon schools are seeing an increase in PKO offers and do you have any players starting school in January that aren't transfers.

I have a BASIC question.

Like partial walk on etc. if a school can give a football player a legitimate Academic Scholarship (full ride) does that not count AT ALL towards the 63 FCS football scholarships ??? Does it count towards another number like the 95 who can report in August ? I would think so. I think there is also an 85 number in there I think.

63 football scholarships. /. 95. /. 85. Can someone please help me understand these numbers ? I think one difference is how many kids can actually report in August (preferred Walk On) vs coming when school starts for all regular students (regular walk on). ??

***But if you can use academic money to fund football players who legitimately deserve the academic money then you could hypothetically have 70 academic guys and 63 football scholarships for a total of 133 guys !! That Can't be Legal. How does that work? What's the most Total number of PAID /Scholarship (academic OR athletic ) guys you can have on an FCS team??

I bet FUBeAR and some others could help me understand!

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Hey, if anyone could let me know who is leaving as a Junior from your team - thanks!!! I.E. I was looking at seniors graduating but I know sometimes guys (QB Black at Citadel maybe??) leave after junior year especially if redshirt Junior.

Furman - it appears - is losing one LB to this. Chris Washington was listed as R-JR but now listed as Senior. So we lose One LB of the 8. We play 3/4 d.

Who is is leaving your SoCon team as a Junior or anyone else transferring out etc ? Thanks!
    For NCAA eligibility purposes, Black is a junior. But in reality he's a senior and is graduating and taking a commission in the USAF this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I will derive mucho pleasure when we run the score up on the Bell Hops this year. Our boys will be eager for sweet revenge. I expect no less than 60 points. I'm thinking 3 TD's for Price alone." - Apphole

OLD CORPS

Quote Originally Posted by CID1990 View Post
    . For NCAA eligibility purposes, Black is a junior. But in reality he's a senior and is graduating and taking a commission in the USAF this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. That's exactly what I am, asking about !

Separate note. REALLY appreciate the military service !

Not that anyone cares, but I'm already feeling the FCS withdrawals (no longer caring about AGS because my team's seasons over). My hibernation until, like, July, beckons.

FCS EGG-HOLE

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post

......AH'D GO WHIFF.......BOOSTIN'.......TEAM GPA....&.....SPECIAL TEAMS....HEADKNOCKERS..........AWK!

QUOTE=Professor;2680287]On Monday, Sam Houston State running back Remus Bulmer -- one of the top returning career rushers in the FCS -- reached out to HERO Sports and said he is going to sit out the rest of 2018 and will take his redshirt this year, then look to play his senior season elsewhere in 2019.

The back had been a consistent contributor from 2015 until this weekend, making a name for himself as a true freshman when he went for 100-plus rushing yards in a playoff win over that year's Big Sky Champion -- Southern Utah. He followed that up with an All Southland Conference season as a sophomore in 2016, leading the Bearkats in rushing.

"It was just mainly a personal decision for my future, I just felt it would be better for my future to sit it out and get an opportunity to show what I can actually do," Bulmer told HERO Sports Monday night. "After three games, it has zero things to do with the outcomes of the games whether we lost or won. I just feel like I can contribute more as a senior. It just seems like I'm playing less this year than previous years. I've never been a selfish player, I know I can help more. I can do that ... I've led the conference one year (sophomore year)."

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...nsferring-ajaj[/QUOTE]

star RB transferring to Citadel

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Brandon Rainey SoCon Offensive POTY and the 'Dogs win the SoCon...