Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: SoCon next year

Re: SoCon next year

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    0I think Arth will be a good coach ultimately. Maybe not, Akron is a pretty bad job. Arth seemed to be a good recruiter, kind of, but I liked Huesman's recruiting strategy. He went after guys that just lacked size a lot of the time, especially on the D-line, which of course was where he got so many of his best players. Arth got a lot of highly rated guys but to me its not a great sign when someone is prototypical NFL size coming out of high school and is "falling" to FCS. Huesman was fortunate with inuries to Keionta Davis and Davis Tull in high school too. But gues like Isiaiah Mack and Taylor Reynolds etc, were just undersized or they would have been at a bigger school.
    In my view, FCS recruiting is a lot about not "missing" on the bulk of your class and having a coaching staff that can elevate their game. Good teams are also able to find a handful of diamonds in the rough who are overlooked due to injury history, size, or some other measurable.

Furman's Adrian Hope is a good example. Hope led the state of Florida in sacks, and notched something like 56 in two years in their highest classification. He had 15 sacks this year as a freshman, and finished either first or second nationally in that category. The dude is an elite pass rusher and, if he keeps this pace, will obliterate conference records in that category.

I can only guess that the primary reason Hope isn't in the SEC right now with his skills is because he's 6'1 215 lbs. That's the size of a safety at that level, not an edge rusher. Furman got a guy that I presume was overlooked by bigger schools because his measurables didn't fit their profile.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler PaladinNation's Avatar

Furman is doing some interesting things this recruiting season.

Like all schools, they have their board of prospects, offered a large group of players, tried to get their top guys to commit early.
    Furman gets all of them to sign early, except one who wants to wait till February.

Around mid-season, lots of preferred walk-on offers started appearing, and I mean a lot. I've mentioned that my wife is an administration at a private school in Gville. Going to their games as well as being connected to the private school community in the area, I was excited to see Furman involved with the best private school players in the area. When you look at the 2018 Wofford Roster two of their best players, played at Christ Church and St. Joe's. I'm pretty sure Furman was never involved in either Stoddard or Mangum.

So far for 2019 Furman has signed a full-scholarship player Jacob Johanning, Conference, and District POY as an offensive lineman, and two-way starter and leading tackler in North-South All-Star game. Furman's picked up three PWO commits from a linebacker, quarterback, and wide receiver, plus a rumored fifth pickup from a public Greenville high school QB. The cherry on top is signing TL Hanna 310 pound nose guard Devonte Jones and Brynes LB/S Jalen Miller.

It's been a long, long time since Furman has made the local community a recruiting priority. I think this is a great move, Wofford and Citadel have been kicking Furman's tail in recruiting homegrown players.

A rumor and based on some weird things that happened during recruiting is that Furman has tightened admissions. It's no secret if you following the Furman boards that Wofford commit and brother to a three-year starter at Furman wasn't offered by Furman until the very end of the recruiting window and after a ton of Patriot League schools started offering.

Using Twitter as our Furman recruiting analysis tool, Furman is rounding out this recruiting class with a bunch of PWO offers to under-the-radar players that fit into the high-academic mold. How this will play out, we will see. I personally think this is smart, get the full-scholarship players you really want, don't give a player a scholarship just to get a body signed to fill a roster void. Get in guys that have a chip on their shoulder that wants to play and prove they belong, PWO's.

PaladinFan has mentioned this several times, during the latter years of Lamb and the Fowler era… Furman had IMO more than a fair share of players that didn't contribute — whatever the reasons may have been. Hendrix and the current staff appear to be willing to leave a spot open than just fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post

Like all schools, they have their board of prospects, offered a large group of players, tried to get their top guys to commit early.
    Furman gets all of them to sign early, except one who wants to wait till February.

Around mid-season, lots of preferred walk-on offers started appearing, and I mean a lot. I've mentioned that my wife is an administration at a private school in Gville. Going to their games as well as being connected to the private school community in the area, I was excited to see Furman involved with the best private school players in the area. When you look at the 2018 Wofford Roster two of their best players, played at Christ Church and St. Joe's. I'm pretty sure Furman was never involved in either Stoddard or Mangum.

So far for 2019 Furman has signed a full-scholarship player Jacob Johanning, Conference, and District POY as an offensive lineman, and two-way starter and leading tackler in North-South All-Star game. Furman's picked up three PWO commits from a linebacker, quarterback, and wide receiver, plus a rumored fifth pickup from a public Greenville high school QB. The cherry on top is signing TL Hanna 310 pound nose guard Devonte Jones and Brynes LB/S Jalen Miller.

It's been a long, long time since Furman has made the local community a recruiting priority. I think this is a great move, Wofford and Citadel have been kicking Furman's tail in recruiting homegrown players.

A rumor and based on some weird things that happened during recruiting is that Furman has tightened admissions. It's no secret if you following the Furman boards that Wofford commit and brother to a three-year starter at Furman wasn't offered by Furman until the very end of the recruiting window and after a ton of Patriot League schools started offering.

Using Twitter as our Furman recruiting analysis tool, Furman is rounding out this recruiting class with a bunch of PWO offers to under-the-radar players that fit into the high-academic mold. How this will play out, we will see. I personally think this is smart, get the full-scholarship players you really want, don't give a player a scholarship just to get a body signed to fill a roster void. Get in guys that have a chip on their shoulder that wants to play and prove they belong, PWO's.

PaladinFan has mentioned this several times, during the latter years of Lamb and the Fowler era… Furman had IMO more than a fair share of players that didn't contribute — whatever the reasons may have been. Hendrix and the current staff appear to be willing to leave a spot open than just fill it.
    Hendrix mentioned when he was hired that he wasn't going to give a scholarship player that didn't fit what he wanted in a player.

I do not know much about the internal workings of recruiting. That stuff seems very black box. My guess is that Furman is keeping powder dry for players that check all of their boxes and might be using partial offers to land local players.

These PWOs seem to be guys that want to keep playing, don't have a bunch of offers, and are local. Seems like a good group to target.

As for Mangum, the local paper reported after the Furman game that he had offers from most of the SoCon, but not Furman. He seems to have taken that personally (though he would have been recruited by the Fowler administration).
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Hendrix mentioned when he was hired that he wasn't going to give a scholarship player that didn't fit what he wanted in a player.

I do not know much about the internal workings of recruiting. That stuff seems very black box. My guess is that Furman is keeping powder dry for players that check all of their boxes and might be using partial offers to land local players.

These PWOs seem to be guys that want to keep playing, don't have a bunch of offers, and are local. Seems like a good group to target.

As for Mangum, the local paper reported after the Furman game that he had offers from most of the SoCon, but not Furman. He seems to have taken that personally (though he would have been recruited by the Fowler administration).
    I thought Furman had offered Stoddard. 247 confirms that to be the case.

https://247sports.com/player/andre-stoddard-26280/
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I thought Furman had offered Stoddard. 247 confirms that to be the case.

https://247sports.com/player/andre-stoddard-26280/
    Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but in the 2013 class (the one before Stoddard's, I believe), Furman took Kealand Dirks, Ridge Gibson, Isaac Garcia, and Antonio Wilcox. In the latter Fowler years, Furman couldn't run the ball to save the kingdom.

He probably made the right call to avoid a program with a crowded backfield that struggled to run the ball.
    FU all the time.

In my view, FCS recruiting is a lot about not "missing" on the bulk of your class and having a coaching staff that can elevate their game. Good teams are also able to find a handful of diamonds in the rough who are overlooked due to injury history, size, or some other measurable.

Furman's Adrian Hope is a good example. Hope led the state of Florida in sacks, and notched something like 56 in two years in their highest classification. He had 15 sacks this year as a freshman, and finished either first or second nationally in that category. The dude is an elite pass rusher and, if he keeps this pace, will obliterate conference records in that category.

I can only guess that the primary reason Hope isn't in the SEC right now with his skills is because he's 6'1 215 lbs. That's the size of a safety at that level, not an edge rusher. Furman got a guy that I presume was overlooked by bigger schools because his measurables didn't fit their profile.
    Exactly. People need to remember that some of these kids develop later than others. One kid can reach his physical peak at 15 and another might not until 19 or 20. Sometimes a kid is 6'3" 270 because he has some bad weight on him and that is often very difficult to get off of them. Another kid might be 6'3" 210 but ready to add lots of lean muscle without losing a step.

I'd be asking questions like "when did you hit your growth spurt?" That sounds odd but if it was 16 instead of 12, that kid might have a while lot more physical potential all other things being equal.

Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but in the 2013 class (the one before Stoddard's, I believe), Furman took Kealand Dirks, Ridge Gibson, Isaac Garcia, and Antonio Wilcox. In the latter Fowler years, Furman couldn't run the ball to save the kingdom.

He probably made the right call to avoid a program with a crowded backfield that struggled to run the ball.
    From what I remember Stoddard had maybe an offer early - I believe Stoddard was looking for a dream offer or PWO from Notre Dame. Maybe that was just the rumor around the tailgating. I pretty sure Furman moved on - also Stoddard had an academic credit issue - and had to wait a year to enroll/participate at Wofford. He actually helped coach SJCS in what would have been his true freshman season.

Stoddard ended up being a helluva player and a great fit for Wofford. Just as Johanning the first SJCS player ever to be chosen to play in an all-star game - IMO could be one of the gems of the 2019 class.

Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Exactly. People need to remember that some of these kids develop later than others. One kid can reach his physical peak at 15 and another might not until 19 or 20. Sometimes a kid is 6'3" 270 because he has some bad weight on him and that is often very difficult to get off of them. Another kid might be 6'3" 210 but ready to add lots of lean muscle without losing a step.

I'd be asking questions like "when did you hit your growth spurt?" That sounds odd but if it was 16 instead of 12, that kid might have a while lot more physical potential all other things being equal.
    great point… Furman has two players in the 2019 class that - despite a lot of offers have room to grow. Jumper (19 offers) is a 6-4 255 OT, he'll enroll early and I bet Furman will have him on a big-time strength-conditioning program over the next two years. Jack Barton (20 plus offers) is a lean 6-4 225 DE. Barton should develop into a DE that can easily carry 240 -250 pounds and still be athletic player.

Top FCS Ruler

The Samford class has fewer stars than most other recent classes - one 3*** and one 2** IMO, however, this is an outstanding group. One of those non-stars is a LB with several FBS offers including one from an ACC team(Pitt). We have one "under the radar" player that the coaches are just giddy about. Jamal Ellis(no stars) is a 6-3, 290 DL who is strong and quick. He was mainly a track team athlete excelling in the discus and shot put. He had a phenomenal breakout senior year, and the biggies moved in, but he kept his commitment to Samford. Recruit Georgia article seems to indicate that Ellis was probably above FCS level, and shows a video of him making a a TD saving tackle on a RB almost 30 yards downfield.

Late bloomers and overlooked players are a necessity for FCS recruiting. Sure, it's nice to have a starry class, but not having one is not a prelude for those players to be unsuccessful. Samford currently has 4 players in the NFL who were never highly ranked by 247Sports coming out of high school. I also saw last year a 247Sports 3*** rated OL with 6 FBS offers, reduced to a 2** after his early commitment to Samford.

I also agree 100% with those who have posted that SoCon recruiting in the early period was exceptionally good. This conference is under valued by most outsiders, IMO.

First Class FCS Ruler SCPALADIN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post

If you're referring to Slay, he officially de-committed.