Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: SoCon next year

Re: SoCon next year

FWIW regarding the WCU defense, we started 6 true or RS Freshman, and for most of the last 2 or 3 games EVERY listed backup except one was a true or RS Freshman. So that would be 16 of 22 on D that were Freshman (not just underclassmen). We should at least be more experienced - jury is out on how much better. I expect to see improvement in Wiley’s 3rd year as DC but 2018 was really bad.

On offense, the big losses are 4 starting O-lineman. There was some rotation, and we had some young guys play. But no idea how good or bad that unit will play. All skill players except for Jordan Mathis are back, including Adams who was only the 10th player in FCS/I-AA history to throw for 2000 and run for 1000 in a season. Assuming the line can do anything I expect us to once again field a pretty good offense (at least in the first half of games).

Special teams were not very special in 2018, but we are losing one of the better punters in SoCon history (I believe Berryman was all-SoCon 3 seasons but struggled due to our scheme and an injury last year). Our K finally was allowed to kick the ball deep, and he started putting kickoffs in the end zone and made several 40+ yard FGs late in the season. But special teams cost us a chance at 2 or 3 more wins (or at least being in a much tighter ball game - we straight up lost to ETSU because of a missed 20-something yard FG).

Say what you want, but WCU was the 8th place team who could have easily won 2 or 3 more games. We need to make coaching adjustments in-game (or coaching moves for next year), but if the young guys mature any and the o-line is basically serviceable I believe WCU could be even a little closer to winning those games in 2019. I predict a better showing, but have to see the young ‘uns and how much they matured before I can estimate how much better.

Small bump. I updated with the 5 SoCon guys that won freshman all America awards

trying to keep this updated so I can look at This pre season 2019

December signing day kicks off Wednesday. Interested to see everyone's class. I think Furman should have a good one.

All the Paladins need now is Justin Fields deciding to take his talents to Greenville.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    December signing day kicks off Wednesday. Interested to see everyone's class. I think Furman should have a good one.

All the Paladins need now is Justin Fields deciding to take his talents to Greenville.
    ”Sources” tell me they saw Fields eating lunch at Tommy’s Country Ham House yesterday.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post

Welp...we have a SoCon Next Year thread AND a 2019 SoCon Offseason Thread. Recruiting seems to be more of an Offseason topic, but I’ll post this (below) here & in the other thread.

Quick summary of Mercer’s Commits ‘known’ to FUBeAR. It will be interesting to see how many of these sign tomorrow & if there are others that sign tomorrow that are ‘unknown.’

Commits (16 ‘known’ to FUBeAR)...

for those who care about such things...

3 - 3 Stars
    2 - 2 Stars
    18 reported FBS offers for 12 of the 16 Commits

* Joel Girtman - DB, 5-11/182, Westlake HS, Atlanta, GA - 2 Star; offers from Wofford, APSU, ETSU, FAU, Morgan St., Tennessee St.

* Pedro Rodriguez - WR/TE, 6-2/225, Lake Mary HS, Lake Mary, FL - offers from FAMU, UTM

* John Thomas - OL, 6-3/300, Hillgrove HS, Powder Springs, GA - 3 Star; offers from AF, APSU, Colorado St., ECU, EKU, Elon, Illinois St., SEMO, SIU

* Dylan Fromm - QB, 6-0/200, Warner Robins HS, Warner Robins, GA - 3 Star; offers from UTC, Penn, South Alabama, SEMO

* Justin Bray - WR/TE, 6-4/210, St. George’s Independent School, Collierville, TN - 2 Star; offers from GaSou, GaSt, Princeton

* Lance Wise - DB, 5-8/183, Hillgrove HS, Powder Springs, GA - offers from AF, Army, Columbia, Kent St.

* Kendall Bohler - DB, 5-11/170, Ocoee HS, Ocoee, FL - offers from FAMU, Jacksonville, Stetson

* Aidan Higgins - OL, 6-1/285, Mountain View HS, Lawrenceville, GA - numerous D2/NAIA offers; older brother was 4-year Starter at Center for Elon (2015-2018); oldest brother played OL at Tulane & TTU

* Luke Szabados - LB, 6-2/230, Moeller HS, Cincinnati, OH - offers from JMU, Eastern Mich., Duquesne, Holy Cross

* Richie Coffey - ATH, 5-10/170, Baldwin HS, Jacksonville, FL - offers from UMass, Alcorn St., Charleston Southern, FAMU, Idaho, New Hampshire, The Citadel

* Zach Hopkins - LB, 6-1/215, James Clemens HS, Madison, AL - offers from Jacksonville St., Alabama St., GaSt, EKU, Furman,

* Fredrick Davis - RB, 5-10/192, Northside HS, Columbus, GA - offers from Army, Navy, Columbia, Dartmouth, Davidson, Jacksonville

* Colton Dingmore - OL, 6-4/255, Mary Persons HS, Forsyth, GA - offer from TTU

* Brandon Marshall - RB, 5-9/184, Raines HS, Jacksonville, FL - 3 Star; offers from NDSU, Charlotte, NC A&T, Charleston Southern

* Gavin Hughes - LB, 6-3/210, Coosa HS, Rome, GA - Very early Commit; offer from Liberty

* Zach Lassiter - QB/LS, 6-1/193, Bleckley County HS, Cochran, GA - Very early Commit as a Long Snapper; offer from GaSou
    Last edited by FUBeAR; December 18th, 2018 at 09:01 AM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Be interested in everyone’s SIGNED commits tomorrow !

Love to
    Have extra info like other offers (FCS orFBS ?) / star rankings etc.

Good stuff from FUBeAR!! let’s see who signs at each SoCon school and post tomorrow

The Furman coaches appear to be working hard to put a purple bow on this class. I'll wait till the ink dries to post the details of each.

Furman did pick up a DB last night… not public but if you follow the trail of tweets — it's got to be Gene Chizik's son Cally Chizik choose Furman over Chattanooga. Furman has several making their decisions tomorrow - make me nervous.