Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Re: Patriot League 2019 Off Season Thread

Lehigh's "Brown & White" Spring Game is tomorrow at 11 a.m. in Goodman Stadium. Weather should be 'balmy'--upper 60's by start. Looking forward to seeing a 'cohesion' on the team. New leadership can/should bring an intensified attitude. Kicking/punting competiton and QBs will be the focus since you can't tell much if no 'going full' on contact. Tailgate starts at 9:30 a.m.!
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

Lehigh 'Spring Game' was really more of situational practice. Due to the contact rules, there were a times where everything was live, but just as much or more with 'thuds' and 'touches' on the QBs. I liked the spirit exhibited. The team seems to have acclimated well to Gilmore and his revamped staff (only 4 remain from last year's staff). QB position appears totally up for grabs in August. Shoup seemed to through the nicest ball. Monaco maybe more mobile and a credible run threat. Beesemer threw a td, though the ball was behind, deflected, and the receiver made a heck of an adjustment to catch. Kicking game will be open competition as well. Devine is just as inconsistent as he has been during his time here, except then, he was the back up. We supposedly have a good freshman K/P coming in, so after what I saw, he has a shot. Weather was beautiful. Got a slight 'burn' to the arms. The field was gorgeous and the new press box is close to complete. The home side press box being renovated with an elevator and being converted into 'sky suites'. Not sure what the price will be. Also, word out that some kind of video board will be gracing the stadium somewhere in the north end zone area. Not sure if it will be affixed to the field house or positioned on the rise in the northeast corner. Supposedly, a board that can be disassembled and used in other venues as a different size. We shall 'see'...
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Also, word out that some kind of video board will be gracing the stadium somewhere in the north end zone area. Not sure if it will be affixed to the field house or positioned on the rise in the northeast corner. Supposedly, a board that can be disassembled and used in other venues as a different size. We shall 'see'...
    One example:

Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Compromise solution. Not a great one to my mind but better than what we have. Driving force ,unsurprisingly, was money and a good bit of internecine squabbling ie if they get one I want one too.

AGS FCS Champion

Overall, I get a good vibe out of the Lehigh camp. I think Gilmore has definitely brought some much needed fire/energy to program. I think organizationally things seem to be far more on point. Lets be honest, last year was just a mess. I think the key to making a run at the league title is the OL. The loss of the key OL assistant following the 2017 season, Coen's declining health and injuries really eroded that unit. And we all know how important a quality OL is. They recruited well (development is huge without RS) and do return some key guys from injury so there is reason to be somewhat optimistic.

The defense should be "good enough". There's certainly no offense in the PL that scares you heading into the 2019 season. The staff will help here but i'm still not convinced the Gilmore/Kashurba is the duo to turn this into a Top 25 "D" over time. I still think the DL will be a bit undersized. The secondary remains stacked with players/athletes. LB has a little more depth but still light in numbers.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

can't be optimistic on the OL yet, put me in the hopeful camp

Go back and forth on OL. All starters back. Both injured OTs are back. 2 very good OL recruit groups. Last year the unit was a total cluster ***** all season. Lost all OTs going into season. Linemen switched to new positions to cover injuries. New OL coach who could not mesh the unit. Unfair but that was the result. This year a new OL coach( hopefully better).I dont take much from B&W game. I note we had 2s and 3s running on OL in a mix and match throughout . Word is Brisson re opened the playbook this year. That alone makes me optimistic. We are stacked at WR and RB. No matter the QB. All he deeds to do with an open playbook is avoid mistakes and get the ball to the play makers.
    I dread saying D will be good. I've said that too often over the last 5 years. On paper we can be. Morrow for a 5th is a big plus. We also get Laurencelle and Kircher back from injury. LB should be solid Hafner and Norris healthy. 2ndary is stacked and will be a force.

A real concern is P/K. We dont really have a consistent player to slide in. The incoming frosh has a big leg and rep. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Go back and forth on OL. All starters back. Both injured OTs are back. 2 very good OL recruit groups. Last year the unit was a total cluster ***** all season. Lost all OTs going into season. Linemen switched to new positions to cover injuries. New OL coach who could not mesh the unit. Unfair but that was the result. This year a new OL coach( hopefully better).I dont take much from B&W game. I note we had 2s and 3s running on OL in a mix and match throughout . Word is Brisson re opened the playbook this year. That alone makes me optimistic. We are stacked at WR and RB. No matter the QB. All he deeds to do with an open playbook is avoid mistakes and get the ball to the play makers.
    I dread saying D will be good. I've said that too often over the last 5 years. On paper we can be. Morrow for a 5th is a big plus. We also get Laurencelle and Kircher back from injury. LB should be solid Hafner and Norris healthy. 2ndary is stacked and will be a force.

A real concern is P/K. We dont really have a consistent player to slide in. The incoming frosh has a big leg and rep. Fingers crossed.

#1 concern for me. Shanked punts, inartfully placed kicks/punts can put a team into a quick hole. I don't care as much for a "cannon" of a leg for a PK, but I want accuracy within 40 yards. If he has a " cannon", all the much the better.