Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The Committee just went bat **** crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    Yeah, the Coaches Poll thing is crazy to point out, but it's the only one somewhat related to the NCAA. I think they put that in there along with the caveat of "but not limited to" in order to have all polls (which could include Massey/Sagaring or AGS) be considered. If they would have put the Media poll in there instead of the Coaches Poll, I would take that as STATS is the end-all-be-all. Putting the Coaches Poll in tells me they want to use all polls.

Two other things that caught my attention were
    "Record against opponents from other AQ conferences". Is that in some way a knock against the Ivy, MEAC, and SWAC?
    "An Institution with less than six division 1 wins may place that team in jeopardy of not being selected." Should we consider UNH in the field already because of that one word "may"? I know they have to leave themselves an out just in case there aren't enough at larges with 6 D1 wins, but it still jumps out at me.
    It also hurts the teams in the NEC/Patriot/Pioneer who schedule the Ivys regularly (arguably). It reduces the probability of an at-large from one of these conferences.

Not sure what to think about this. This years bubble is weak. There will be teams left out with very similar resumes as teams that just get in. IMO, they are anticipating this and taking steps to cover their ass. I hope this is their reasoning. If traditionally over ranked teams in the coaches poll start getting seeded, well, that would suck.

Imagine the fun if the say "no suitable teams" and leave a few slots empty instead of picking 6 or 5 win teams. Probably not allowed but might be for the best.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    "An Institution with less than six division 1 wins may place that team in jeopardy of not being selected." Should we consider UNH in the field already because of that one word "may"? I know they have to leave themselves an out just in case there aren't enough at larges with 6 D1 wins, but it still jumps out at me.
    The "may" keyword has always been in there even when the threshold was 7 wins. I would guess they only have that in there so if a team like The Citadel goes 5-6 but beats Bama they have the ability to add them to the field if they really want to.

In regards to using the Coach's poll for anything other than toilet paper....

Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion FormerPokeCenter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalm View Post
    Thatís right. They are now back to using the coaches poll in their considerations.

Congrats JSU, win and now youíre probably a top 4 seed. McNeese is a lock for an at large with a win....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=8FECEd5QPiA

Actually, I think that's probably gonna work out in UIW's favor...

FCS EGG-HOLE

....COACHES POLL.......GET READY BUBB-LERS.........."DON'T DROP DUH SOAP"......AS DEY SAY......IN DUH...VILLANOVAH....SHOWER AREA.........BRAWK!
    Last edited by MR. CHICKEN; November 16th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.

Yes the coaches poll is horrid, and I am sure most committee members are aware or will become aware of its shortcomings.

However polls aside, at the end of the day, when each team is stacked up next to each other it is usually fairly clear cut which teams have the strongest case, and that is what the committee does first and foremost, that should still net us a playoff field that more closely resembles the AGS poll just as it has in virtually every year in the past.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    It also hurts the teams in the NEC/Patriot/Pioneer who schedule the Ivys regularly (arguably). It reduces the probability of an at-large from one of these conferences.
    Tbh this could possibly (very hypothetical here) get those conferences to try to push the Ivy for the playoffs. If they start to decide to play other teams because it hurts them for the playoffs then it could push the Ivyís to consider participating just to be able to get their old OOC teams back maybe? Are they considering the MEAC/SWAC as playoff participating conferences? If not that could hurt their ability to get payday FCS games with MVFC schools and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Quote Originally Posted by FUGameBreaker View Post
    Yes the coaches poll is horrid, and I am sure most committee members are aware or will become aware of its shortcomings.

However polls aside, at the end of the day, when each team is stacked up next to each other it is usually fairly clear cut which teams have the strongest case, and that is what the committee does first and foremost, that should still net us a playoff field that more closely resembles the AGS poll just as it has in virtually every year in the past.
    will be interesting to see.

we can compare the STATS, coaches and AGS after the selection committee. I have always felt AGS IS BEST !!! you guys (AGS) keep up with everything. the coaches don't even seem to notice a loss sometimes / or a win. It's like it takes 3 wins or 3 losses for them to even maybe take notice. honestly, the coaches poll is probably the worst

not enough quality teams hmmmm