Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Master FCS Advocate

Re: Will JMU Bounce Back this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    They might give us the Dead dog bounce, but JMU is done.....
    I'd love to see this game in round 2. First team to 13 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jmu007 View Post
    I think it's a combo of youth at just about every position other than RB and the QB just not panning out how they thought it would. My personal opinion is that redshirt freshman Gage Maloney will be the starter next year when the competition opens back up baring progress by Cole Johnson. I think we've seen Ben DiNucci's ceiling at this point.

FWIW, they return 10 of 11 starters next year on offense. Another year at D-hall and in the weight room will do the offensive line some good,.
    This is my observation as well. He was great out the shoot but has shown his warts lately.
    If things break right JMU D and special teams could still carry them far...
    Sundown in the Paris of the prairie
    Wheat Kings have all their treasures buried

Quote Originally Posted by jmu007 View Post
    I'd love to see this game in round 2. First team to 13 wins.
    that would be a great playoff match up if you like Defense..... but we still have Stoner Brook and Nova to worry about, most Hen fans not that optimistic about Saturdays match up on Long Island, will be tought to beat them 2 years in a row up there, and besides this is pretty much an elimination game for the SeaLobos

we really dont want to be 7-3 again with GT's preppies coming to Newark the following week
    Welcome back Delaware Bluehens

FCS Master

JMU is still a threat, IMO they will win their last two regular season games, and if a couple other teams currently ranked higher don't, JMU could still end up with a seed in the 5-8 range. If they don't get a seed, they will almost certainly get a 1st round home game since they will outbid anyone they will be scheduled to play. There is still plenty of talent on that team and if they close out the regular season beating URI and Towson they will regain the confidence they may have lost by losing two conference games. While this JMU team is not executing as consistently well as the 2016 and 17 teams, the quality of conference opponents, week after week, is particularly tough this season. The UNH team that has shown up the last two Saturdays is playing on a totally different level, more indicative of their preseason ranking than a 6 loss team. I think Mike Houston will use the two FCS losses as a motivator to get JMU primed for winning out the regular and success in the playoffs. I'm predicting they get at least to the Semi-Finals.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

AGS FCS Expert

I know any team that has JMU in a 2nd round or quarterfinal pairing has got be nervous.

Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    I know any team that has JMU in a 2nd round or quarterfinal pairing has got be nervous.

Dewey
    Delaware, perhaps.

FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
    Delaware, perhaps.
    Good point, Delaware or Maine, since they will not have played in the regular season.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

AGS FCS Expert

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    Good point, Delaware or Maine, since they will not have played in the regular season.
    Seems like that is going to happen for sure with the comittiess penchant for matching up teams from the same conference that didnt play during the regular season.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post

Those would be interesting match ups. I agree with other posters that the defense is very solid and with support from the offense could turn into a very special unit. Special teams are elite. Offense is a mystery to me. O Line has had a issues and had to shuffle people around but not as much as the previous year. The skill position folks come and go with the wind. Receivers have dropped balls and made mistakes, Running backs have done nothing consistently which is also partly to do with the line but RB should be able to make someone miss and have at least one, two runs break somewhat open. QB play is vanilla, in my opinion neither Johnson or DiNucci set the world on fire, I would also argue the play calling from the OC is mystifying at times and extremely basic and predictable at times.

Are the Dukes done No. Could they be after this week, Yes. The next two games could create a great sense of purpose, momentum and drive for the team into the playoffs and if the offense finds their gear it could be a very tough team.

If the team doesnt respond to the changes that may happen and to the coachs (which has also been strange this year, as Houston seems to be frustrated with this group) the Dukes could go 0-2 and miss the playoffs.

Im going to be optimistic about it and rally behind whoever lines up this weekend against Rhody but there needs to be a tone change and aggression that comes out from this team.

AGS FCS Champion

JMU is ~800 miles from (the U of) Maine so it would be a flight regardless. Delaware seems much more likely if JMU plays Thanksgiving weekend since they're within the 400 mile bus trip distance of Harrisonburg.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.