Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: The Great SoCon, OVC, SLC Pillow Fight of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    the NCAA's SRS which is only used to quantify strength of schedule/wins.
    Isn't that basically what every computer rating system strives to do?

AGS FCS Champion

Hey, we still have two OOC to play, and so do a few SOCON teams. It ain't over yet. Once we knock off Alafrickenbama, we will take care of CSU for good measure, albeit after the field is named. LOL.

AGS FCS Champion

Re: The Great SoCon, OVC, SLC Pillow Fight of 2018

This thread better not disappoint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Maybe not in choosing the final bracketology, but the individual committee members DO look at polls through the season, and yes I do happen to personally know one member(NOT associated with Samford) of this group. Having said that, kalm has a point that I can't argue with about OOC SoCon wins. One reason for the lack of wins is lack of scheduling. For whatever reason, this seems to be a problem. Geography wise we are surrounded by those very other conferences that you include(OVC, Southland, and Big South). The one exception is the proximity of some CAA teams that could possibly be included. I also wish my school would venture into some of these possibilities. We do, however, have wins over UCA(2) and Kennesaw(1). We also open up with Youngstown State next season.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    There's a maximum of like 10 teams that will finish 8-3 for at-large in the "power" conferences, with many of them likely not finishing that high.

I don't see JSU or Wofford getting left out at 8-3. The playoff committee is not going to put 2 7-4 CAA/MVFC teams over 8-3 JSU/Wofford (especially not Wofford with a top 25 win). They aren't going to make it the MVFC/CAA open.
    The CAA and MVFC have gotten 9 teams into the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 year. The CAA is as deep as it's ever been this year and, while the MVFC is down a bit, I think you probably still can count on 9 again (which would be half the at-large bids) from those two conferences and they'll probably be a 4 loss bubble team or two not included in those 9. The Big Sky seems likely to take 2 if not 3 of those remaining 7 at-large spots. If A&T doesn't backdoor into the Celebration Bowl (or lose one of their last 2) that's another spot gone. You're running out of at large bids in a hurry by that point with only 3 or 4 left.

I do think Wofford will be and should be in at 8-3. I also think Jacksonville St will be, but not necessarily should be, in at 8-3. So now you're down to 1 or 2 spots and you've probably got at least two 4 loss teams from the Big Sky/CAA/MVFC battling with the rest of the bubble teams from the SOCON and SLC (could have Monmouth and UND in that discussion as well). I think it's going to be a pretty competitive bubble but we'll see. JSUSoutherner might be right and upsets on the bubble these last 2 weeks will allow it to take care of itself.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I think it's worth mentioning that the Southeast bracket, whatever that will entail will be very competitive this year. It could include teams such as:

Kennesaw State
    Southeast Missouri
    Jacksonville State
    Wofford
    Furman
    Samford
    ETSU (maybe? low likelihood IMO)
    Elon
    North Carolina A&T
    and a Southland team

I feel like you have to be a homer to say that one teams sticks out among the above. Everyone could beat everyone. Southeastern FCS teams are good this year, yet at the same time they have a noticeable flaw.
    Who had the strongest OOC out of this group and who has the best OOC wins out of this group?

Hmm...

Honestly, it really seems Thereís a logjam in the SE quadrant. So much parity in the South, itís silly.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by sudog03 View Post
    Isn't that basically what every computer rating system strives to do?
    I'd say every computer rating system strives to rank teams accurately which is what you'd need to accomplish in order to quantify SOS. But that doesn't change the fact there isn't a single poll or computer rating system that's available to the public right that is a direct tool used by the selection committee. Even the SRS doesn't mirror their seeds and at-large selections very well at all (in fact in the past the human polls have done that better than the SRS at projecting that) so it seems pretty reasonable to me that they're not blowing smoke when they say they only use it to quantify SOS.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 6-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    Who had the strongest OOC out of this group and who has the best OOC wins out of this group?

Hmm...
    Thereís a reason this is limited to a 3-way pillow fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The CAA and MVFC have gotten 9 teams into the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 year. The CAA is as deep as it's ever been this year and, while the MVFC is down a bit, I think you probably still can count on 9 again (which would be half the at-large bids) from those two conferences and they'll probably be a 4 loss bubble team or two not included in those 9. The Big Sky seems likely to take 2 if not 3 of those remaining 7 at-large spots. If A&T doesn't backdoor into the Celebration Bowl (or lose one of their last 2) that's another spot gone. You're running out of at large bids in a hurry by that point with only 3 or 4 left.

I do think Wofford will be and should be in at 8-3. I also think Jacksonville St will be, but not necessarily should be, in at 8-3. So now you're down to 1 or 2 spots and you've probably got at least two 4 loss teams from the Big Sky/CAA/MVFC battling with the rest of the bubble teams from the SOCON and SLC (could have Monmouth and UND in that discussion as well). I think it's going to be a pretty competitive bubble but we'll see. JSUSoutherner might be right and upsets on the bubble these last 2 weeks will allow it to take care of itself.
    Part of the reason I'm avoiding speculation right now is that there are sooooooo many teams sitting at 3 losses in the CAA. This is the worst time of the year to speculate because there are just enough teams with a chance that it's impossible to make heads or tails of it. Next week will be a lot better.