Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Has the FCS become boring?

Perhaps I'm not seeing straight due to my usual favorite finally underperforming this season, but it seems to me more than just this season. I've become more apathetic to the FCS over the last few seasons and I'm wondering if its due to a few reasons?

Lack of parity? NDSU has certainly taken any hopes and dreams away for most programs
    Lack of talent? Seems like less and less top talent play in the FCS as a whole? I could be wrong, but it seems the FCS superstars of today aren't as interesting as the FCS superstars of days past
    changing of the guard? Some of the old powerhouses that might have challenged NDSU have either moved on the FBS or fallen off track. Montana, UD, GSU, App State, UNI et al don't seem to have the talent they used to.

Anyone else feel like me?
    "We're New Hampshire born and we're New Hampshire bred and when we die we'll be New Hampshire dead, so it's ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, pride of the granite state !"

Re: Has the FCS become boring?

No! The FCS is as fun as ever. Sure, NDSU is great but their reign will end like all dynasties do. This season is much more “wide open” IMO. There are new teams competing at a high level like we haven’t seen in a while, if ever. (KSU, ETSU, Idaho St, UCD, UIW, SEMO, ect.) IMO, that makes it fun.

Even though Sam is a weak bubble team with a minimal shot at the playoffs, I still enjoy the subdivision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattymc727 View Post
    Perhaps I'm not seeing straight due to my usual favorite finally underperforming this season, but it seems to me more than just this season. I've become more apathetic to the FCS over the last few seasons and I'm wondering if its due to a few reasons?

Lack of parity? NDSU has certainly taken any hopes and dreams away for most programs
    Lack of talent? Seems like less and less top talent play in the FCS as a whole? I could be wrong, but it seems the FCS superstars of today aren't as interesting as the FCS superstars of days past
    changing of the guard? Some of the old powerhouses that might have challenged NDSU have either moved on the FBS or fallen off track. Montana, UD, GSU, App State, UNI et al don't seem to have the talent they used to.

Anyone else feel like me?
    No
    Internet tough guy

I don’t think so. NDSU winning games and championships is very predictable right now, but this has been the case in the past with teams like Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. There are still a lot of great games and the battles to see who gets to lose to the likes of James Madison and NDSU are still very interesting. Games like Wofford-Samford this week hold quite a bit of intrigue, as do the other games on the game of the week thread

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar

I'd say it's more boring in the playoffs.

NDSU will keep winning until they don't but for now the novelty of their dynasty has worn off. Their dynasty and win percentage is really unprecedented. It's the stuff that blue blood homers (App, Montana, GSU, etc) thought of all stripes (wrongly) thought their team was capable of in the late 2000s.

My team isn't good enough to win a national title this year. At least if they are I don't see it yet. Still, what lured me to the FCS was that little stretch between 2008 and 2010 where different teams won it and there was a lot of parity.

Not so anymore and that's kind of boring to me. As a fan I'm now satisfied with Wofford winning the conference and advancing anywhere past the quarterfinals is amazing. But I don't see us or most other teams beating NDSU

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    This poster was formerly known as youngterrier.
    03/06/2017

FCS EGG-HOLE

.....MAY BE YAWNIN'....IN FARGO.........BUT DUH CHASE IS ON......FROM ALL UH FCS......TA ASPIRE.......TA BIZONSSSSS.....RARE AIR.........BRAWK!

One concern: entire geographical areas of the subdivision are not competitive.

The entire Northeast comes to mind. So too the Southland, which used to be one of the subdivision's strongest areas. Add in the MEAC/SWAC falling off the map, and it would be easy to conclude that it's only three conferences (MVFC, Big Sky, and the southern branch of the CAA) which will even compete in the playoffs.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

I can say as an NEC fan we are better than ever so that is a positive. I go to SFU games and there are full stands and a gameday atmosphere. This didn't exist 15 years ago.

AGS FCS Champion

Absolutely! FCS was far more interesting when I really started fallowing the subdivision on a national level. The NDSU dynasty has really destroyed many programs chances to elevate themselves. I know many people like to have something to chase but the reality is no one is closing the gap except MAYBE JMU. Even so, the Dukes really aren't, or even close, to being on NDSU's level imo. As a whole the gap between NDSU and the rest of FCS is wider now than It was in 6 or 7 years ago. That's not good. There have been dominant programs in the past, App State, YSU, Marshall and GSU come to mind, but they never had a stranglehold on the subdivision like NDSU has now.

I also favored the 16 team playoff much more. The 24 team playoff allows for far too many participation trophies. There's simply too many games/teams taking up space.

I've been fortunate enough to attend games at NDSU, JMU Montana, Montana State, Delaware, UNH etc over the years. Those experiences never get boring...
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    One concern: entire geographical areas of the subdivision are not competitive.

The entire Northeast comes to mind.
    Yes- it's been a challenge for Dartmouth to find teams who can hang with us.