Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
Here's how 2018 broke down.

And here's the updated summary.

The Coach's poll (the "official" poll in the toolbox of the selection committee) was definitely the 3rd best in terms of reflecting what the selection committee did. I'd say it was about a draw between the AGS and STATS polls in terms of which reflected the committee the best. The AGS Poll did much better reflecting the seeds and the STATS poll did much better reflecting the at-large teams. Overall though for the 6 years of the 24 team playoff format I think the AGS poll is further distancing itself as a better reflection of what the selection committee will do. Something pretty remarkable, in my opinion at least, is that the AGS Poll hasn't been further than 2 spots away on any seeded playoff team since 2013 (that's a streak of 5 years and counting).

In another thread there was a comment that a poll shouldn't strive to reflect what the selection committee does and I agree to a certain extent and I don't think most AGS poll voters vote with the "what is the selection committee going to do?" in the back of their minds but what I think this goes further to prove is that having an open forum and debate to criticize a poll leads to a better product at the end of the year. Of these 3 polls only the AGS Poll has that and I think it shows when it comes to which poll reflects the selection committee (who obviously comes to their decision via criticism and open forum debate) the best.
Great work here, PC!

Spot on especially with that last paragraph.