• Wofford

29 61.70%
  • Furman

18 38.30%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Didn't mention that Wofford's opponents are a combined 8-19.

In fact, Wofford has played one team with a winning record - UTC. UTC's 4 wins are against teams with a combined 4-16 record.

As I noted on the other thread, Furman's four opponents are 18-4.

So, yes. They've looked really stout against bad teams, which is how good teams typically look.
    Well y'all will not help that stat much now will you? What's your point? Also, I'm thinking we are not a "bad" team as you describe the yap dog's wins. G-W is bad. We are not real good so far. Bad record? Sure. On the other hand, Furman has not exactly looked great against the 2 very good team you faced. You looked eh against the bad and ok teams, with good records, that you faced. Ws and Ls. Everything else is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Well y'all will not help that stat much now will you? What's your point? Also, I'm thinking we are not a "bad" team as you describe the yap dog's wins. G-W is bad. We are not real good so far. Bad record? Sure. On the other hand, Furman has not exactly looked great against the 2 very good team you faced. You looked eh against the bad and ok teams, with good records, that you faced. Ws and Ls. Everything else is subjective.
    __________________________________________________ _________

This is a valid point.
    I don't have a dog (or Paladin) in this fight but all I am reading is that Wofford has won big against non-winning teams and Furman has lost big to 2 really good teams, blew the win against ETSU and missed the opportunity to play a good Colgate team.
    Aren't you suppose to beat bad teams convincingly?
    Isn't it about wins and losses no matter the scenarios and/or excuses?

Quote Originally Posted by FCSfan View Post
    __________________________________________________ _________

This is a valid point.
    I don't have a dog (or Paladin) in this fight but all I am reading is that Wofford has won big against non-winning teams and Furman has lost big to 2 really good teams, blew the win against ETSU and missed the opportunity to play a good Colgate team.
    Aren't you suppose to beat bad teams convincingly?
    Isn't it about wins and losses no matter the scenarios and/or excuses?
    This pretty much sums it up.

My memory is hazy at this point, but I think the last time Wofford came to Greenville this highly ranked they went home losers.

Edit: First guess (memory not as hazy as I thought). 2011. Bruce Fowler's first season.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Not sure what effect, if any, this will have, but Hurricane/Tropical Storm Michael is expected to dump some rain on the upstate mid-week.

Shouldn't effect the game Saturday, but may effect mid-week prep if the teams are forced indoors.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I tend not to put much stock in "who have you beaten this year???" so early in the season.

Unless you're in an absolutely huge conference like the CAA or Big Sky, or a conference that plays at a high level like the MVFC, most teams aren't going to know their quality wins until late October or early November. If your conference is on the level of the MVFC, every win is a good win. If you're in a big conference like the Big Sky or CAA, 1/3 of the conference is going to be really good, 1/3 kinda garbage, and 1/3 respectable. But you really don't know who the respectable teams are and who the garbage teams are until week 8 or so, when the teams with 2-3 losses are on a roll and still in competition for the playoffs.

In most conferences, half of the teams are at .500 in conference play or worse, and the other half above that number. With FBS games and weak OOC like the Socon has, it's extremely likely that no team would have a stellar resume right now that wasn't transitively less impressive. Put another way, if the Citadel beat Wofford and played and beat CSU, they'd be sitting at 3-2 right now and we woul have a better opinion of both them and Chattanooga. If Chattanooga edges ETSU, we have a better outlook on the Citadel, Wofford, and Chattanooga right now.

We have this conversation every year. Team x is overrated because they haven't played anybody...until they do. It's not often that we see teams start 4-1 or 5-1 or better and just collapse. They may lose a game or two, sure, but there aren't many examples of those teams absolutely choking, at least in conference competition. That's why I put value in teams that take care of business in front of them. Take Colgate for example. They haven't beaten anyone notable, but they are undefeated and their defense is TOUGH.

Take Wofford in 2016 for example. The only team we beat with a winning record during the regular season was 6-5 Mercer and an 8-3 Chattanooga. But we looked good in the games we played and lost. And then we won 2 games in the playoffs and were double OT away from the semis.

Same goes for ETSU this year. I do think they have flaws more so than aforementioned teams, but crazier things have happened and I don't really see "they haven't beaten anybody" to be a valid criticism of how good they are. They're beating the teams in front of them and that's all you can ask of them /rant

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I tend not to put much stock in "who have you beaten this year???" so early in the season.

Unless you're in an absolutely huge conference like the CAA or Big Sky, or a conference that plays at a high level like the MVFC, most teams aren't going to know their quality wins until late October or early November. If your conference is on the level of the MVFC, every win is a good win. If you're in a big conference like the Big Sky or CAA, 1/3 of the conference is going to be really good, 1/3 kinda garbage, and 1/3 respectable. But you really don't know who the respectable teams are and who the garbage teams are until week 8 or so, when the teams with 2-3 losses are on a roll and still in competition for the playoffs.

In most conferences, half of the teams are at .500 in conference play or worse, and the other half above that number. With FBS games and weak OOC like the Socon has, it's extremely likely that no team would have a stellar resume right now that wasn't transitively less impressive. Put another way, if the Citadel beat Wofford and played and beat CSU, they'd be sitting at 3-2 right now and we woul have a better opinion of both them and Chattanooga. If Chattanooga edges ETSU, we have a better outlook on the Citadel, Wofford, and Chattanooga right now.

We have this conversation every year. Team x is overrated because they haven't played anybody...until they do. It's not often that we see teams start 4-1 or 5-1 or better and just collapse. They may lose a game or two, sure, but there aren't many examples of those teams absolutely choking, at least in conference competition. That's why I put value in teams that take care of business in front of them. Take Colgate for example. They haven't beaten anyone notable, but they are undefeated and their defense is TOUGH.

Take Wofford in 2016 for example. The only team we beat with a winning record during the regular season was 6-5 Mercer and an 8-3 Chattanooga. But we looked good in the games we played and lost. And then we won 2 games in the playoffs and were double OT away from the semis.

Same goes for ETSU this year. I do think they have flaws more so than aforementioned teams, but crazier things have happened and I don't really see "they haven't beaten anybody" to be a valid criticism of how good they are. They're beating the teams in front of them and that's all you can ask of them /rant
    Speaking for me, I'm not making the argument that "Team X" is overrated because of their schedule.

I'm only noting that Wofford's statistics look a lot better than Furman's. Some of that is because Wofford may well be a better team. At least some part of that is because Wofford hasn't faced as good of teams as Furman has. The numbers may well look different if Furman had played Wyoming and Gardner Webb and Wofford played Clemson and Elon.

So, no. I'm not suggesting that Wofford is overrated. I'm just suggesting that "on paper" these two teams look like a mismatch, but in reality probably aren't.
    FU all the time.

This pretty much sums it up.

My memory is hazy at this point, but I think the last time Wofford came to Greenville this highly ranked they went home losers.

Edit: First guess (memory not as hazy as I thought). 2011. Bruce Fowler's first season.
    correct. I was there. Furman had a strong power run team that year. Would have made the playoffs had they not choked against Elon. Wofford doesn't historically play well in Greenville, but a lot of that has to do with being not-good those years more than Greenville itself. Then again, Furman has not been the team in the last 10 years it was even 13 years ago.

Ranked wofford is 2-1 in Greenville I think (2003, 2007 we won). "playoff Wofford" is 3-1.

correct. I was there. Furman had a strong power run team that year. Would have made the playoffs had they not choked against Elon. Wofford doesn't historically play well in Greenville, but a lot of that has to do with being not-good those years more than Greenville itself. Then again, Furman has not been the team in the last 10 years it was even 13 years ago.

Ranked wofford is 2-1 in Greenville I think (2003, 2007 we won). "playoff Wofford" is 3-1.
    Oddly enough, I think the 2011 team is probably the closest offensive comp to what Furman is doing this season (well, since the late 90s).

That game sticks out to me because Mike Ayers seemed so concerned with Furman throwing a home run ball to Colin Anderson (Furman's standout TE) that he kept both safeties deep late in the game. While trying to avoid Furman's haymaker, the Paladins were content to just churn up the clock on the ground with Jerodis Williams and Hank McCloud.
    FU all the time.

yep -
    quite the trend:

HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE... The home team has won 10 of the last 11games in the Furman-Wofford series, with the only interruption coming in2016 when Wofford posted a 34-27 victory in Paladin Stadium

also (just worthless trivia but you can see the diff home field makes) :
    Greenville: FUR leads 33-11-5 in Spartanburg: WOF leads 21-20-2

I'm just suggesting that "on paper" these two teams look like a mismatch, but in reality probably aren't.
    Very close to the point I just made on the GOTW thread to justify my “Other” vote for the Wofford @ FU game. To be honest, I have Wofford at #3 in my AGS Poll (behind NDSU & EWU) & I will have Furman ranked in the bottom half of the SoCon when I do my PowerPoll, but I think this game is an absolute toss-up.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.