• Wofford

29 61.70%
  • Furman

18 38.30%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Proud Member of the AGS Wine and Cheese Crowd

Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    Finally Furman acknowledges us as a rival. I have something in my eye.

nah
    Ah Horse Feathers!

I don't know what they have to say, It makes no difference anyway, Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it!
    Your proposition may be good, But let's have one thing understood: Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    And even when you've changed it or condensed it, I'm against it!

with us playing on this tuesday, planning on making the trek to gville to visit my daughter at furman and take in what should be a good socon game, best of luck to both

Wofford's so deep at linebacker that our sack leader isn't even listed on the two deep. That could be SID incompetence, but still.

My one concern on defense only comes from ignorance in our scheme last year compared to this year. Conklin thus far has proven to be a great schemer, holding the Citadel to season low offensive/rushing numbers (admittedly, that may be the fact that we have the capability to recreate their offense more than his scheming) and playing uncharacteristically good pass defense for Wofford, holding Chattanooga and Gardner Webb to below 200 yards and VMI below 300 yards passing (most of which came in garbage time). We have multiple packages, run different schemes (bump and run, etc), and blitz more effectively than last year. The end result is that we've been playing better defense and it shows in the stats (total defense, third down defense, etc).

But I'm not sure if the multiple package has as much strength as what we did last year. We basically just went man-up in the trenches and did our typical unaggressive zone and had our way with Furman. It's probably one of the best approaches because if you blitz too much against option-oriented teams like Wofford/Furman/the Citadel, you could get burned. if you run man coverage and your DB gets caught in the backfield, you could get burned. We didn't have this problem last year because we ran such a zone and didn't blitz as much.

Even though Furman's not as good on offense this year as last, I'm still interested to see what Conklin and Siefkis do for this one.

Also, YT is considering making the trip for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    Wofford's so deep at linebacker that our sack leader isn't even listed on the two deep. That could be SID incompetence, but still.

My one concern on defense only comes from ignorance in our scheme last year compared to this year. Conklin thus far has proven to be a great schemer, holding the Citadel to season low offensive/rushing numbers (admittedly, that may be the fact that we have the capability to recreate their offense more than his scheming) and playing uncharacteristically good pass defense for Wofford, holding Chattanooga and Gardner Webb to below 200 yards and VMI below 300 yards passing (most of which came in garbage time). We have multiple packages, run different schemes (bump and run, etc), and blitz more effectively than last year. The end result is that we've been playing better defense and it shows in the stats (total defense, third down defense, etc).

But I'm not sure if the multiple package has as much strength as what we did last year. We basically just went man-up in the trenches and did our typical unaggressive zone and had our way with Furman. It's probably one of the best approaches because if you blitz too much against option-oriented teams like Wofford/Furman/the Citadel, you could get burned. if you run man coverage and your DB gets caught in the backfield, you could get burned. We didn't have this problem last year because we ran such a zone and didn't blitz as much.

Even though Furman's not as good on offense this year as last, I'm still interested to see what Conklin and Siefkis do for this one.
    I mean, not the biggest deal. Adrian Hope, who is #2 in the FCS in sacks, does not start for Furman. He was the nation's leader in sacks until Saturday (now second) having played fewer games than nearly everyone else and is a backup.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler FUGameBreaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I mean, not the biggest deal. Adrian Hope, who is #2 in the FCS in sacks, does not start for Furman. He was the nation's leader in sacks until Saturday (now second) having played fewer games than nearly everyone else and is a backup.

Haha yep, beat me to it but was about to say the same
    Hope will be a stud, hell he already is

Furman's game notes and two deep. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-f...es_-_Stats.pdf

Looks like the Paladins are full steam health-wise. A couple of guys that missed the Elon, ETSU, or WCU contests are back in the lineup. I guess that's the one advantage of another bye week.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler FUGameBreaker's Avatar

Furman's game notes and two deep. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-f...es_-_Stats.pdf

Looks like the Paladins are full steam health-wise. A couple of guys that missed the Elon, ETSU, or WCU contests are back in the lineup. I guess that's the one advantage of another bye week.

Yep looks like everybody for the Dins except for Weems

Quote Originally Posted by FUGameBreaker View Post
    Haha yep, beat me to it but was about to say the same
    Hope will be a stud, hell he already is
    When you watch him, it's not that he is just a high motor or just getting lucky. He's really good at the art of rushing the passer.

He has a lot of different moves, is quick off the line, and plays contained and can work over offensive linemen.

I posted this last week, but I'm still impressed by it. WCU's LT is listed at 6'4 285. Hope is 6'1 218. He penetrates, turns the OTs shoulder and then jams his left arm at him and drives him straight backwards into Tyrie Adams. Furman keeps a very elusive QB in the pocket and collapses on him. WCU had five men in the formation and Adams had zero time to find any of them. Textbook.

It's not THAT he lodged a sack, but to shove man 3 inches taller and 60+ pounds heavier than you are straight backward is just a really impressive display of power and explosiveness. For the life of me it looks like he bench presses the man with just his left arm.

FU all the time.

First Class FCS Advocate hoidOfYolen's Avatar

When you watch him, it's not that he is just a high motor or just getting lucky. He's really good at the art of rushing the passer.

He has a lot of different moves, is quick off the line, and plays contained and can work over offensive linemen.

I posted this last week, but I'm still impressed by it. WCU's LT is listed at 6'4 285. Hope is 6'1 218. He penetrates, turns the OTs shoulder and then jams his left arm at him and drives him straight backwards into Tyrie Adams. Furman keeps a very elusive QB in the pocket and collapses on him. WCU had five men in the formation and Adams had zero time to find any of them. Textbook.

It's not THAT he lodged a sack, but to shove man 3 inches taller and 60+ pounds heavier than you are straight backward is just a really impressive display of power and explosiveness. For the life of me it looks like he bench presses the man with just his left arm.

Yes I would like to Subscribe to SackFacts please ty