View Poll Results: Who will win?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wofford

    29 61.70%
  • Furman

    18 38.30%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 175
  1. #91
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11,893

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post
    Bear… thanks for the comments here. And, it goes to something I'm hoping we will see. Davonta Porter is back listed on the two-deep after being injured in the Clemson game. Porter is a big spur 6-2 225. I'm not sure Staggs knows what to do with Porter yet, he came to Furman as a 6-2 180 safety. I like Willis but Porter IMO has a huge upside and I would love to see him next to McKoy.

    Another possible treat is Furman has true freshman Braden Gilby back this week. Perryman plays with emotion and has a high motor but Gilby seems to have that something - granted maybe it's just that he reminds me of Bouton and Jay Their.

    One more thought on Furman defensive personnel and this matchup up. In the past, I've felt against Wofford our corners have been easy to get wrapped up in the trash. I don't think we've seen the best of Amir Trapp he at times has played very physical I hope we see that side of his game this weekend. Also doesn't hurt that Furman has a big athletic safety in Okeh (6-4, 212).

    On the offensive side… will be curious to see if Furman test Wofford deep? Gordon is an obvious threat, Burnette can run and has a size advantage, and Bell is a different kinda threat that Furman hasn't had in a while. But, maybe the guy to keep an eye on is true freshman Ryan Miller a hybrid TE/WR, Roberts looks his way a good bit, and Miller burned the Cats for a big romp.
    I think you will see Furman try to throw it.

    From what I've seen, Wofford does not generate a ton of pressure with their front three. Those are bigger two gap type players who are more "read and react" types. They show four QB hurries all season and only 1 sack from a defensive linemen. Most of their QB pressure is from the defensive backfield. I'm sure they pick their spots to bring extra rushers. The key is picking them up, especially backside pressure from corners and safeties, which Furman has struggled with.

    I think they play more man coverage this year than in years past, but are still going to try to take away the deep ball. Both UTC and VMI had some success on underneath routes and screens. We ran a good bit of that. Of course, Furman's offense runs through the inside run game, which is where Wofford can be tough.

    It'll be an interesting matchup to watch. Wofford's defense is big and physical. Furman's offense is leaner and quicker. I think Furman wants to get the Terriers defending sideline to sideline and then start probing downfield looking for openings. Wofford, I think, wants to keep Furman in the box and turn this into a bare knuckle fight in the trenches.
    FU all the time.

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  2. #92
    AGS FCS Champion youngterrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,498

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    I dunno, Wofford's strength this year has been at linebacker because we're so deep there.

    Wofford used to play exactly like Furman up front: fast and small, but now we seem more specialized to take up space and stop the run.

    To illustrate our defensive strengths, Conklin installed this new 2-5 (probably not what it's called) formation where we have 2 DL and 5 LBs on the LOS. It's a zone blitz look and you don't quite know who's coming (hint: TJ Neil). You can see Thad Mangum go out in zone pass protection on one play against Chattanooga.

    Wofford's developed depth to the point where at linebacker and the secondary we have pass support, run support, and pass rush specialists (TJ Neil).

    I don't know what to expect out of the defense this time. Last year Domo Lemon had a monster game at corner as a run specialist...and this time we have more of that.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  3. #93
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11,893

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I dunno, Wofford's strength this year has been at linebacker because we're so deep there.

    Wofford used to play exactly like Furman up front: fast and small, but now we seem more specialized to take up space and stop the run.

    To illustrate our defensive strengths, Conklin installed this new 2-5 (probably not what it's called) formation where we have 2 DL and 5 LBs on the LOS. It's a zone blitz look and you don't quite know who's coming (hint: TJ Neil). You can see Thad Mangum go out in zone pass protection on one play against Chattanooga.

    Wofford's developed depth to the point where at linebacker and the secondary we have pass support, run support, and pass rush specialists (TJ Neil).

    I don't know what to expect out of the defense this time. Last year Domo Lemon had a monster game at corner as a run specialist...and this time we have more of that.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Wofford certainly is strong at linebacker. My suggesting isn't that they aren't, but just noting the area I think Furman may try to exploit.

    Furman routinely shifts its personnel. Often presnap. WRs line up at slot back or in the backfield. RBs line up at WR. The TEs move in and out of the formation and can all catch.

    The difficulty for defenses (at least last year and a growing trend this year) is matchups. Furman doesn't huddle, and can keep the same personnel on the field shifting in and out of run looks. Defenses cannot get too greedy, as the big fullback is still lined up in the backfield.

    One difference too is the overall increase in team speed. Furman has recruited guys that can run both on the line and in the backfield. You will see a lot more guys on Furman's roster that resemble Lennox McAfee - multipurpose speed backs - than you did last year.
    FU all the time.

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  4. #94
    AGS FCS Champion youngterrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,498

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Wofford certainly is strong at linebacker. My suggesting isn't that they aren't, but just noting the area I think Furman may try to exploit.

    Furman routinely shifts its personnel. Often presnap. WRs line up at slot back or in the backfield. RBs line up at WR. The TEs move in and out of the formation and can all catch.

    The difficulty for defenses (at least last year and a growing trend this year) is matchups. Furman doesn't huddle, and can keep the same personnel on the field shifting in and out of run looks. Defenses cannot get too greedy, as the big fullback is still lined up in the backfield.

    One difference too is the overall increase in team speed. Furman has recruited guys that can run both on the line and in the backfield. You will see a lot more guys on Furman's roster that resemble Lennox McAfee - multipurpose speed backs - than you did last year.
    All I know is that I trust Conklin and Siefkis (who I have not learned to spell) to run the defense more than I trust Sheil Wood.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  5. #95
    Regular FCS Advocate SU FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    43

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I think everyone who isn't Wofford needs to be pulling for Furman.

    There are two undefeated teams in conference play - Wofford and ETSU. Those two still have to play one another, guaranteeing that one will take a loss. I think there's a far greater likelihood of Wofford running the table than ETSU, so anyone who has an interest in the autobid needs to hope Wofford picks up another loss somewhere.

    True dat

  6. #96
    Major FCS Ruler FUGameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Furman
    Posts
    1,228

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    1pm kickoff tomorrow

    70 degrees with sunny skies

  7. #97
    AGS FCS Champion youngterrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,498

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    I said it earlier but confirmed, YT will be there

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  8. #98
    FCS Champion kdinva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    3,930

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Would love to read the box score, and attendance be 15,000+.....
    1-AA is tops!!

  9. #99
    AGS FCS Champion youngterrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,498

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    Would love to read the box score, and attendance be 15,000+.....
    unlikely. Our home attendance is always over-estimated. We're lucky if we get 4k of our fans there (if that).

    On the road? fuggit about it.

  10. #100
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11,893

    Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

    Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    unlikely. Our home attendance is always over-estimated. We're lucky if we get 4k of our fans there (if that).

    On the road? fuggit about it.
    Furman tends to report the actual attendance, or what looks like it would be close to the actual attendance.

    70 degree sunny day in Greenville with a 1:00 kickoff against a good Wofford team? I'd estimate 10-11k.
    FU all the time.

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Similar Threads

  1. Furman: Furman To Kick Off 2017 Season, Clay Hendrix Era Saturday At Wofford
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 29th, 2017, 08:40 AM
  2. Furman: Furman-Wofford Set To Renew Deep South's Oldest Football Rivalry Saturday
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2016, 05:30 PM
  3. Furman: Furman-Wofford Join Forces For Salute To Service March
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 5th, 2015, 04:00 PM
  4. Furman: Furman-Wofford To Clash Saturday In 125th Anniversary Of State's First Footba
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM
  5. Furman: Furman To Tackle Wofford At Noon Saturday In Regular Season Finale
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 20th, 2013, 02:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •