47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wofford

29 61.70%
  • Furman

18 38.30%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I expect there is a lot of teaching moments for both players and coaches. I imagine there are many on Wofford's sideline who just expected to find a way to come back. To their credit, they have managed to do that a lot. You probably have to go back to 2015 to find the last time Wofford got their fannies whipped by a SoCon team. They've lost a few, but most are extremely close.

I expect a good game with ETSU. They will not present the defensive challenges Furman did, but have a very good defense that will likely keep them around in the game. This is arguably the biggest game for ETSU in decades.
    And it's homecoming for Wofford after a bad loss and a long road stretch.

ETSU's strategy to stop the option was putting 9 in the box against the citadel. That won't work against Wofford

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post

ETSU's strategy to stop the option was putting 9 in the box against the citadel. That won't work against Wofford

There's no one way to beat the option. It is a chess match between coordinators and constant adjustments in blocking and defending.

I don't think you will see ETSU run the same defense they did against the Citadel. I also don't think you'll see them do the same thing Furman did either. Wofford, of course, knows that too.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post

Agree - that's why I predicted this. Well, that and what Paladin Fan said, and I don't think ETSU's O matches up very well with Wofford's D...and I think Woffy's Players are going to be playing with hate-hearts (for Furman), but I think ETSU gets the brunt of that hate.

ETSU @ Wofford - ETSU's solid D gets to see the option 2 weeks in a row, but Woffy's version is much more complex, diverse, and faster. The YardBarkers bounce back in a big way 49-14

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    There's no one way to beat the option. It is a chess match between coordinators and constant adjustments in blocking and defending.

I don't think you will see ETSU run the same defense they did against the Citadel. I also don't think you'll see them do the same thing Furman did either. Wofford, of course, knows that too.
    Yep - and 1 other thing I forgot to mention earlier. FU was shifting their DLmen pre-snap on every down. This is a relatively common way to break up option blocking rules, but there was something about the way FU was doing it that looked different to me. They weren't moving a full-gap...or even a half-gap. I think they were just trying to create questions/doubt in the minds of Woffy's OLmen. "OK, He just shifted, So...Oh, wait...Did he move from a 4 to a 4i? Or is he still in a 4? I saw him move, but...HIKE...CRAP!!!!" Definitely a chess match out there...and I think Coach Staggs just may be the Bobby Fischer of the sidelines.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Agree - that's why I predicted this. Well, that and I don't think ETSU's O matches up very well with Wofford's D...and I think Woffy's Players are going to be playing with hate-hearts (for Furman), but I think ETSU gets the brunt of that hate.

ETSU @ Wofford - ETSU's solid D gets to see the option 2 weeks in a row, but Woffy's version is much more complex, diverse, and faster. The YardBarkers bounce back in a big way 49-14

Yep - and 1 other thing I forgot to mention earlier. FU was shifting their DLmen pre-snap on every down. This is a relatively common way to break up option blocking rules, but there was something about the way FU was doing it that looked different to me. They weren't moving a full-gap...or even a half-gap. I think they were just trying to create questions/doubt in the minds of Woffy's OLmen. "OK, He just shifted, So...Oh, wait...Did he move from a 4 to a 4i? Or is he still in a 4? I saw him move, but...HIKE...CRAP!!!!" Definitely a chess match out there...and I think Coach Staggs just may be the Bobby Fischer of the sidelines.
    At running the risk of being overconfident two weeks in a row...I don't think ETSU scores 14 on us.

Also the option is an offense like any other. It only fails when you don't execute or adjust. Good defensive coordinators can win the chess match. Good option coaches can avoid being shut down most of the time.

I don't like it when people talk about the option as an all or nothing thing, like you either shut it down or you don't. No one in this thread suggested this, but there are a lot of terrier faithful who think this way. Its an excellent way to shut down discussion or remove the complexity of it. One of the problems I have had with our OC in the last ~8 years or so (yes this is a long time) is that we have failed to innovate on many occasions. It got worse when EB graduated. I have liked what I've seen this year but last week was a set back.

Conklin is one of those CEO like thinkers who gives and takes a lot of criticism (I don't think Ayers ever criticized our offense in the media like JC did last week). I'm hoping that mindset helps WL grow to an even better OC.

Just going back and watching some of the game as well. This doesn't show up in the stat sheet, but Furman put the pressure on in matchups early in the game.

On the first drive, Furman was able to get matchups by keeping the same personnel group (1 TE, 2 RB, 2 WR) and lining them up in different spots.

Expecting Wofford to run man coverage, Furman moved their TE several times to WR. At the same time, Furman moved their WRs into the backfield in traditional split back sets.

As I see it, Furman forced Wofford to play their best coverage guys (CB) against their TEs (who often just ran the coverage downfield). By lining Gordon up in the backfield, he was working against linebackers. That's a huge matchup problem for Wofford.

In fact, Gordon caught three balls on the opening drive. He lined up in the backfield on two of those receptions.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."