47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wofford

29 61.70%
  • Furman

18 38.30%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: #4 Wofford @ Furman

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Another interesting example is at 4:30, I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rdoF5ni58&t=245s

I am finding it hard to figure out what UTC is doing on that play. They are in a bit of a unique defensive alignment with two down linemen and a MLB. I count 6 defensive backs.

Off the snap, the DE/OLB, #35, goes immediately for the dive (probably wrongly). The MLB attacks the dive and then tries to get to the corner to beat Newman, which he is ill-equipped to do. I saw this a few times with UTC, where their backside pursuit isn't fast enough for Wofford's backfield.

I'm curious about the play-side safety. He comes up and looks like he may have the QB, but never really attacks the play. He hangs back, lets the blocking come to him, and then starts running backward.

Maybe he's coached to do that, but it seems as though if he came up with an attitude he'd probably have had Newman in the backfield or at least would have stalmated the lead blocker. Instead he let everyone come to him, let the blocking develop, and push him backward.
    I’ll keep this one simple...I hope. That’s a 4-3 with the DE’s in crouched 2-point stances. Looks like Cover 0 - straight man. The deep Mike (5 yd off) is an old Bobby Johnson invention to allow him to FAST flow to either side, not get cut (or just blocked, I guess...these days) and he has QB Force (probably not Slow-Play Technique; more WHOMP’EM technique) to either side. More on him in a minute. P/S DE is perfect- squeezes down block & tackles dive. P/S LB, who is slightly walked out, has Pitch & he is fine too. CB is obviously locked on WR, who is a little slow to pick up man coverage, but eventually does and runs off the CB. P/S Safety has a tough job. He’s in Man coverage on 1st back out on his side, and that’s the Load Back, but the Safety can’t FLY up to support Run cuz his guy might run by & the QB lob it over his head. I think you’ve seen the Paladins do that effectively a few times. So he really has to slow-play until the ball crosses the LOS, which he does, but not slow enough, in my opinion. We’ll throw one over his head if he does that. B/S Safety has to ensure no eligible retriever, that would be his man, slips out his side. So he’s slow to support run away...as he should be. So, everyone’s OK...except...remember our Mike. He somehow lets the Center get a hand on him, which shouldn’t happen if he’s FAST-flowing AND because he’s TOO HIGH (there it is again) and, apparently, he skipped “Rip & Scrape Day” at LB Camp...that contact from the Center turns his body (probably grabbed him and let go real quick. I’ve heard OLmen might do that sometimes, the unethical ones, never me or my Players) back inside...thus...Ain’t no way, that after that delay, he’s getting to the edge with his pads square, his feet moving, and with a LOW center of gravity...so that he can ‘introduce himself’ to the QB at the LOS...which probably would have resulted in no gain.

This one is a Technique Failure. The scheme is sound & effective. Everyone knows what they are supposed to do & is doing it, but poor technique by ONLY 1 guy results in a 14 yard gain. The irony is...he made a solo tackle...14 yards downfield. If does that same thing often enough, he’ll be All SoCon. Won’t say who, but I know of an All-American SEC LB a few years back that SPECIALIZED in making lots of tackles...10 yards downfield. He didn’t last long in the NFL.

WHY I LOVE ME SOME OPTION FOOTBALL!!

oh...1 other thing...said I was gonna keep it simple. I lied. Just wanted to show how something incredibly minute can result in a Defensive breakdown. There is 1 other issue in there...I think. Base Alignment in that D for the DLine would be 5-1-3-5. Certainly can vary some...most often, moving the 1 Tech to a 2i Alignment is a variation. I think he was supposed to be in a 2i and I can’t be sure that’s he’s not...but at the snap, you can see he is helmet to helmet with the p/s OG..so I kinda think he was aligned too wide...in a 2. Know what might have happened if he was in a 2i instead...and attacked the inside shoulder of the OG? That Center might have had to adjust his angle to get the Mike...and he wouldn’t have gotten there (shouldn’t have been able to anyway)..and now Mike’s bad technique doesn’t hurt Chatt cuz Mike is where he’s supposed to be...and makes the tackle at the LOS. So...it could have been an Alignment Failure leading to a Technique Failure....Of course, if he was in a 2i, then the Center could have the option to pull and then...I’ll stop.

Ain’t Feetsball fun though?
    Last edited by FUBeAR; October 11th, 2018 at 12:21 AM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

A good write up on that. I suppose it looked like what it actually was - the MLB had the QB. If nothing else, that's a good example of the offensive/defensive chess match as UTC is trying to mix up looks and assignments to confuse Wofford's reads and blocks.

UTC's issue on defense (they did give up a bunch of yards) may be more of a technique problem than a scheme problem.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

A good write up on that. I suppose it looked like what it actually was - the MLB had the QB. If nothing else, that's a good example of the offensive/defensive chess match as UTC is trying to mix up looks and assignments to confuse Wofford's reads and blocks.

UTC's issue on defense (they did give up a bunch of yards) may be more of a technique problem than a scheme problem.
    Yes...personnel issue too. I think they have a starting LB out injured & the ones they have in there do not appear, to me, to be the fleetest of foot. The speed of Mr. Newman & Woffy’s RB’s is hard to match. IMO, Chatt would have been much better off using 2nd Team Safeties in some of those “LB” positions.

When I had access to Coach View video a few years back, I ‘fell in love’ with a DC when I was really able to see & break down the personnel, alignment, and scheme adaptations he deployed to shut down El Cid’s Option O when it was running through everyone else like poop thru a tin horn (props to Coach Saban). He moved a DE inside as a DT. He changed from a 3-4 base to 4-3. He put his SS in the “SnakeEye” Mike role (like UTC lined up in) to get FAST-er Flow from that position. He put his (usual) Mike (who was fast; just not fast-ER) in an OLB role, and put a back-up SS at the other OLB role. Moved an OLB to a DE role. Then, he “played games” with his (aligned as) DE’s and OLB’s on the edge - stacks, slants, stunts, etc. Totally forked up CIT’s OL Blocking ‘rules.’ Completely revamped his D to adapt to CIT’s O and shut ‘em down cold 2x. He was the DC at Charleston Southern then. Serves in the same role for a SoCon Team now...Purple Team in upstate SC, I believe. With a year of getting HIS guys ‘ramped up’ in HIS methods, I’m looking forward to seeing if he’s cooked up some interesting ‘treats’ for the LittleDogs on Saturday.

I think Furman will fare decently against the Terrier rush attack. The Paladin defense did respectably against them last year, twice holding them under 300 yards rushing and 90 yards passing. Staggs has a good bit of experience defending the option, and did well against WCU's potent rush attack two weeks ago.

This season, the Furman defense hasn't looked great. Most of their issues (in my view) are in pass coverage. I don't think those issues are a result of not having talented players or underwhelming athletes, but a number of times it appears to be simply general confusion in coverage. When receivers are running unchecked down the field, that, to me, signals that assignments are getting blown. That's a communication problem, not a talent problem.

While Wofford does not have near the passing QB that Furman has seen to this point, they are likely going to try to sneak guys out of the backfield against linebackers in the passing game. That has given Furman problems this season. As it relates to the run game, though, I think Furman will do pretty well against Wofford's rush. Furman rotates a ton of players into the game on defense, which will mitigate a bit Wofford's ability to wear a defense down late.

Perhaps this is the hurricane talking, but I think this game will come down to Furman's offense. The Paladins have to protect their defense by keeping possession. Where we have gotten in trouble this season is when our offense periodically grinds to a halt and the defense has to keep running out there to defend a short field. We've seen less of that since they've gotten the OL settled and Roberts has returned.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I think Furman will fare decently against the Terrier rush attack. The Paladin defense did respectably against them last year, twice holding them under 300 yards rushing and 90 yards passing. Staggs has a good bit of experience defending the option, and did well against WCU's potent rush attack two weeks ago.

This season, the Furman defense hasn't looked great. Most of their issues (in my view) are in pass coverage. I don't think those issues are a result of not having talented players or underwhelming athletes, but a number of times it appears to be simply general confusion in coverage. When receivers are running unchecked down the field, that, to me, signals that assignments are getting blown. That's a communication problem, not a talent problem.

While Wofford does not have near the passing QB that Furman has seen to this point, they are likely going to try to sneak guys out of the backfield against linebackers in the passing game. That has given Furman problems this season. As it relates to the run game, though, I think Furman will do pretty well against Wofford's rush. Furman rotates a ton of players into the game on defense, which will mitigate a bit Wofford's ability to wear a defense down late.

Perhaps this is the hurricane talking, but I think this game will come down to Furman's offense. The Paladins have to protect their defense by keeping possession. Where we have gotten in trouble this season is when our offense periodically grinds to a halt and the defense has to keep running out there to defend a short field. We've seen less of that since they've gotten the OL settled and Roberts has returned.
    Agree - and they have to TACKLE (or at least ‘Force’) #8 EVERY running play. Make them have to beat us with the legs of Stoddard, McAfee, Morgan, et al, and/or Newman’s arm. They are certainly capable of doing that as those are some dang good Football Players & Newman is throwing the ball much more effectively. His passes are still not pretty, but they ARE getting the job done. Also, that young OL is playing EXTREMELY well - coming off the ball hard, finishing their blocks, playing nasty AND wily. Major props due to the PorchYapper’s young & inexperienced OL Coach. He is doing a GREAT job! Bottom Line: If we let Newman beat us with his legs, we BEAT & it could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Agree - and they have to TACKLE (or at least ‘Force’) #8 EVERY running play. Make them have to beat us with the legs of Stoddard, McAfee, Morgan, et al, and/or Newman’s arm. They are certainly capable of doing that as those are some dang good Football Players & Newman is throwing the ball much more effectively. His passes are still not pretty, but they ARE getting the job done. Also, that young OL is playing EXTREMELY well - coming off the ball hard, finishing their blocks, playing nasty AND wily. Major props due to the PorchYapper’s young & inexperienced OL Coach. He is doing a GREAT job! Bottom Line: If we let Newman beat us with his legs, we BEAT & it could get ugly.
    The WCU game may not mean anything for Saturday, but Furman played Adams very aggressively. They sacked him a bunch, hit him a bunch, and pressured him constantly. He had a whale of a game, but several of those plays were pure sorcery.

It certainly seems that Furman's game plan against Adams was to attack him and not let him dictate the pace of the game. Make someone else beat you. They may try a similar philosophy against Newman.
    FU all the time.

The WCU game may not mean anything for Saturday, but Furman played Adams very aggressively. They sacked him a bunch, hit him a bunch, and pressured him constantly. He had a whale of a game, but several of those plays were pure sorcery.

It certainly seems that Furman's game plan against Adams was to attack him and not let him dictate the pace of the game. Make someone else beat you. They may try a similar philosophy against Newman.
    Apples & Artichokes though. For reasons I won’t enumerate because I don’t want to kick my Catamount friends (too much) while they are so down (even though that’s where FUBeAR told them they would be), what FU’s D did (physically) to Mr. Adams will not be duplicated on Mr. Newman. Mr. Newman is running that option like a well-oiled Tesla (they have oil, don’t they?) and he will not be put in a position to get those clean shots on him AND he knows how to avoid & absorb contact quite well. Yes, FU should try to ‘ring him up’ whenever possible, but the important thing is to force him to pitch & TACKLE him to the ground ‘right now’ if he doesn’t. Much like the inverse of Mercer’s strategy against Mr. Hodges. They weren’t trying to sack him...just wanted to take away his ability to extend pass plays & to beat them with his legs. Furman must force Mr. Newman to beat them with his arm OR relinquish the ball to a RB.

Apples & Artichokes though. For reasons I won’t enumerate because I don’t want to kick my Catamount friends (too much) while they are so down (even though that’s where FUBeAR told them they would be), what FU’s D did (physically) to Mr. Adams will not be duplicated on Mr. Newman. Mr. Newman is running that option like a well-oiled Tesla (they have oil, don’t they?) and he will not be put in a position to get those clean shots on him AND he knows how to avoid & absorb contact quite well. Yes, FU should try to ‘ring him up’ whenever possible, but the important thing is to force him to pitch & TACKLE him to the ground ‘right now’ if he doesn’t. Much like the inverse of Mercer’s strategy against Mr. Hodges. They weren’t trying to sack him...just wanted to take away his ability to extend pass plays & to beat them with his legs. Furman must force Mr. Newman to beat them with his arm OR relinquish the ball to a RB.
    In the vague recesses of my memory I can recall a Furman defense really getting after Jayson Foster one year. Foster, as you probably remember, was hard to tackle with two hand touch, much less to actually put him on the ground.

In 2007 Furman got him a few times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9C2BwU0ZuY

Check out 3:22, 3:40, and 3:48.

If the Paladins can resurrect that effort against Newman, we'll be alright alright alright.
    FU all the time.

Yes...personnel issue too. I think they have a starting LB out injured & the ones they have in there do not appear, to me, to be the fleetest of foot. The speed of Mr. Newman & Woffy’s RB’s is hard to match. IMO, Chatt would have been much better off using 2nd Team Safeties in some of those “LB” positions.

When I had access to Coach View video a few years back, I ‘fell in love’ with a DC when I was really able to see & break down the personnel, alignment, and scheme adaptations he deployed to shut down El Cid’s Option O when it was running through everyone else like poop thru a tin horn (props to Coach Saban). He moved a DE inside as a DT. He changed from a 3-4 base to 4-3. He put his SS in the “SnakeEye” Mike role (like UTC lined up in) to get FAST-er Flow from that position. He put his (usual) Mike (who was fast; just not fast-ER) in an OLB role, and put a back-up SS at the other OLB role. Moved an OLB to a DE role. Then, he “played games” with his (aligned as) DE’s and OLB’s on the edge - stacks, slants, stunts, etc. Totally forked up CIT’s OL Blocking ‘rules.’ Completely revamped his D to adapt to CIT’s O and shut ‘em down cold 2x. He was the DC at Charleston Southern then. Serves in the same role for a SoCon Team now...Purple Team in upstate SC, I believe. With a year of getting HIS guys ‘ramped up’ in HIS methods, I’m looking forward to seeing if he’s cooked up some interesting ‘treats’ for the LittleDogs on Saturday.
    Bear… thanks for the comments here. And, it goes to something I'm hoping we will see. Davonta Porter is back listed on the two-deep after being injured in the Clemson game. Porter is a big spur 6-2 225. I'm not sure Staggs knows what to do with Porter yet, he came to Furman as a 6-2 180 safety. I like Willis but Porter IMO has a huge upside and I would love to see him next to McKoy.

Another possible treat is Furman has true freshman Braden Gilby back this week. Perryman plays with emotion and has a high motor but Gilby seems to have that something - granted maybe it's just that he reminds me of Bouton and Jay Their.

One more thought on Furman defensive personnel and this matchup up. In the past, I've felt against Wofford our corners have been easy to get wrapped up in the trash. I don't think we've seen the best of Amir Trapp he at times has played very physical I hope we see that side of his game this weekend. Also doesn't hurt that Furman has a big athletic safety in Okeh (6-4, 212).

On the offensive side… will be curious to see if Furman test Wofford deep? Gordon is an obvious threat, Burnette can run and has a size advantage, and Bell is a different kinda threat that Furman hasn't had in a while. But, maybe the guy to keep an eye on is true freshman Ryan Miller a hybrid TE/WR, Roberts looks his way a good bit, and Miller burned the Cats for a big romp.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post
    Bear… thanks for the comments here. And, it goes to something I'm hoping we will see. Davonta Porter is back listed on the two-deep after being injured in the Clemson game. Porter is a big spur 6-2 225. I'm not sure Staggs knows what to do with Porter yet, he came to Furman as a 6-2 180 safety. I like Willis but Porter IMO has a huge upside and I would love to see him next to McKoy.

Another possible treat is Furman has true freshman Braden Gilby back this week. Perryman plays with emotion and has a high motor but Gilby seems to have that something - granted maybe it's just that he reminds me of Bouton and Jay Their.

One more thought on Furman defensive personnel and this matchup up. In the past, I've felt against Wofford our corners have been easy to get wrapped up in the trash. I don't think we've seen the best of Amir Trapp he at times has played very physical I hope we see that side of his game this weekend. Also doesn't hurt that Furman has a big athletic safety in Okeh (6-4, 212).

On the offensive side… will be curious to see if Furman test Wofford deep? Gordon is an obvious threat, Burnette can run and has a size advantage, and Bell is a different kinda threat that Furman hasn't had in a while. But, maybe the guy to keep an eye on is true freshman Ryan Miller a hybrid TE/WR, Roberts looks his way a good bit, and Miller burned the Cats for a big romp.
    Ill call it like it is. The issue for us in stopping the option is not the DL.. it's our LBs. Our DL will get it done I suspect. As FUBeAR noted once, one of our LB was all over the place playing w emotion but missing his assignments. We have one really good LB in McKoy (all-conference) but the transfer of Ellis (Jerry Rice List) is hurting us pretty bad. It is. We have some athletes - as noted by some above - but the quickest most athletic guys are young and missing assignments. Thus the underneath passes we have been allowing. Well, if you don't play assignemt football on the option you are dead. d e a d. I will be interested to see if we are improving. It all comes down to our LBs and safeties on run help. Most of the LBs have not played much vs the option - the safeties (Anoor and Okeh) have. I suspect the DL and Safeties to do fine.

PLEASE keep your assignments LB !!!