Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Southern Conference Week 7 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

We will find out if ETSU is really for real this week against the citadel. I find it interesting that everyone will rank ETSU second, but I bet 90% of the picks here will choose the Citadel to win. We will find out Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by ETSUfan1 View Post
    We will find out if ETSU is really for real this week against the citadel. I find it interesting that everyone will rank ETSU second, but I bet 90% of the picks here will choose the Citadel to win. We will find out Saturday.
    I ranked ETSU in my AGS poll this week. I forsee a close game either way. Regardless of outcome, if they hold the citadel below 250 rushing, I think it's safe to say they will compete for a playoff spot

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I ranked ETSU in my AGS poll this week. I forsee a close game either way. Regardless of outcome, if they hold the citadel below 250 rushing, I think it's safe to say they will compete for a playoff spot

I will impressed if they do that. In chronogical order of games, our rushing has gone, 217, 290, 308, 341. Granted in the first game, we played you all, and you know how to defend it, but the trend is there and I have seen a great improvement in execution nonetheless. Don't think they hold us under 300, probably not 350, but depends on how many turnover we have.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    I will impressed if they do that. In chronogical order of games, our rushing has gone, 217, 290, 308, 341. Granted in the first game, we played you all, and you know how to defend it, but the trend is there and I have seen a great improvement in execution nonetheless. Don't think they hold us under 300, probably not 350, but depends on how many turnover we have.
    I say 250 because the decent defenses in the socon seem to do that but under 300 may be the better measure. So let me revise that:

Under 300=I'm impressed.

Under 250=ETSU has arrived, full stop

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    The Citadel didn't blow a 3 score lead in the fourth quarter or get blown out by any of their opponents. Having a hard schedule is only part of the equation.

I'd like the citadel over VMI, Western and ETSU and it would be a toss up against Furman and Samford.

Chattanooga should beat VMI and western, and with the way Mercer and Furman are playing on defense, that'll be a toss up too. That would put them at at least 6-5, which would be better half the conference.

Meanwhile, creating subjective rules to justify ones rankings is literally the point of this thread. You haven't listed your own rankings because you also know it's a crap shoot and Furman doesn't look good so you're tearing down rankings xeyerollsx

I've been on this forum a few minutes (12 years?) and maybe done a power ranking a handful of times.

As I noted, I'm aware that the point of the power rankings is subjective. Your subjectivity, though, is to put all the teams Wofford has beaten at the top, and the other teams at the bottom.

Regarding the Citadel, I suppose reasonable minds can differ regarding whether losing to Towson by three touchdowns is a "blowout." Yeah, Furman lost badly to Elon. From what I've seen, I think Elon would beat the brakes off any team in the SoCon. The only team Elon's lost to is undefeated USF.

Wofford fans have a right to be bullish on their team. I cannot be disputed, though, they haven't exactly played murderer's row. VMI is terrible. Gardner Webb is terrible. Wyoming is a bad FBS program. The Citadel is going nowhere this season. And UTC is probably firmly "mediocre."
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I've been on this forum a few minutes (12 years?) and maybe done a power ranking a handful of times.

As I noted, I'm aware that the point of the power rankings is subjective. Your subjectivity, though, is to put all the teams Wofford has beaten at the top, and the other teams at the bottom.

Regarding the Citadel, I suppose reasonable minds can differ regarding whether losing to Towson by three touchdowns is a "blowout." Yeah, Furman lost badly to Elon. From what I've seen, I think Elon would beat the brakes off any team in the SoCon. The only team Elon's lost to is undefeated USF.

Wofford fans have a right to be bullish on their team. I cannot be disputed, though, they haven't exactly played murderer's row. VMI is terrible. Gardner Webb is terrible. Wyoming is a bad FBS program. The Citadel is going nowhere this season. And UTC is probably firmly "mediocre."
    Furman sucks😀

VMI is terrible.
    VMI was terrible last year.........Keydets about 8 plays from being 3-1 in the Socon......VMI is winless, but VMI for now is NOT a bottom-40 FCS program.....
    1-AA is tops!!

Quote Originally Posted by ETSUfan1 View Post
    When you look at what we have accomplished the two seasons prior to this year, a pick for The Citadel makes perfect sense. In those two seasons we won exactly ONE game on the road. I understand it might not match with the #2 rank, but I don't expect us to remain there either. If we do, it will be a pleasant surprise, but I am just trying to be realistic.

__________________________________________________ __________

Mr. PF....
    I wouldn't bash the Citadel, call UTC mediocre and the knights still have to outscore the Keydets.
    Bold assessment this early on.

1. Wofford
    2. ETSU
    3. UTC
    4. Mercer
    5. Samford
    6. Citadel
    7. Furman/WCU
    8. VMI

Mercer over Yale
    Wofford over Furman
    Citadel over ETSU
    Samford over VMI