Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    First Class FCS Ruler BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n's Avatar

Southern Conference Week 7 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

I was 1-2 last week. Wofford and Samford showed me something. Here's where I have it after last week (numbers in parenthesis indicates the number of wins needed vs. games remaining for a chance at an at-large bid).

1) Wofford (3 of 6) - Still the alpha dog until someone proves otherwise.
    2) East Tennessee State (3 of 5) - Sent the Homecoming crowd home happy as a lark.
    3) Mercer (4 of 6) - Hibernating this week.
    4) Chattanooga (3 of 5) - Another week, another tough loss.
    5) Furman (6 of 6) - Paladins also resting up.
    6) Samford (OUT) - Doggone, where have you been all of my life?
    7) Western Carolina (5 of 6) - Proud recipients of a curbstomping.
    8) The Citadel (OUT*) - Resting up for this week.
    9) VMI (OUT) - Did not lose this week.

This week's games:
    Mercer @ Yale - Bears pick up a win against a decent Ivy League team.
    Wofford @ Furman - Terriers too much for Paladins.
    ETSU @ The Citadel - Bucs continue their winning ways on the road.
    VMI @ Samford - Bulldogs continue to play like an awakened giant.
    Chattanooga @ Western Carolina - Mocs get back on track.
    Once upon a time, I was an ETSU alumnus who attended Appalachian State. But then the "evil ones" (Paul Stanton and Dave Mullins) killed it and I became an Appalachian State fan. A few years later:

- Paul Stanton retired
    - Dave Mullins "retired"
    - Appalachian State moved on to greener pastures in the Sun Belt.
    - ETSU brought back football, came home to the SoCon and won their first SoCon title.

IT'S GREAT TO BE A BUCCANEER!

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

Re: Southern Conference Week 7 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

1) Wofford: continues to look better and better. Could be a great team.
    2) ETSU is 5-1 and worthy of everyone's respect. Officially a playoff contender and has the best home field advantage in the socon. Wow.
    3) Chattanooga: ran into a wall against Wofford, but still can (and may) make the playoffs
    4) The Citadel. I know, why so high for a 1-3 team? Well, their 3 losses are to teams that are 12-4 and will compete for a playoff spot.
    5) Mercer: still have to put some defense together
    6) Furman: still an unknown, but can announce their presence against Wofford this week
    7) Samford: They put 66 on Western Carolina. Honestly...I don't think that's a huge deal because Western is terrible
    8) Western Carolina: The worst defense in Socon history. Adams cannot save them. They've benefited from playing the lesser defenses in the conference.
    9) VMI:They will beat someone.

Picks:
    Mercer @ Yale
    Wofford @ Furman
    ETSU @ The Citadel (game of the week)
    VMI
    @ Samford (upset of the week...it's going to happen to someone)
    Chattanooga @ Western Carolina (I think this will be the first time Western Carolina fails to score 30 on a team)

Also, I think the Citadel vs. ETSU is going to be the game to watch next week. If it's a blow out, the winner will be on the bubble. If it's a close game, the devil is in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    2) ETSU is 5-1 and worthy of everyone's respect. Officially a playoff contender and has the best home field advantage in the socon. Wow.
    3) Chattanooga: ran into a wall against Wofford, but still can (and may) make the playoffs
    4) The Citadel. I know, why so high for a 1-3 team? Well, their 3 losses are to teams that are 12-4 and will compete for a playoff spot.
    6) Furman: still an unknown, but can announce their presence against Wofford this week
    7) Samford: They put 66 on Western Carolina. Honestly...I don't think that's a huge deal because Western is terrible
    8) Western Carolina: The worst defense in Socon history. Adams cannot save them. They've benefited from playing the lesser defenses in the conference.

Picks:
    Mercer @ Yale
    Wofford @ Furman
    VMI
    Chattanooga @ Western Carolina (I think this will be the first time Western Carolina fails to score 30 on a team)
    Whoa! I know you have good reason to dislike Samford, but I'm thinking you wouldn't want to 'bet the farm' on THAT prediction.

Picks:
    Mercer @ Yale
    Wofford @ Furman
    VMI
    I'm sure it is just coincidental that you rank highly the teams Wofford has played, but not the ones they haven't (VMI notwithstanding).
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

So I will take my first shot at this for this season:

1-Wofford-Somebody has to take them out for any movement here.
    2-ETSU-As the season moves along, I don't think they end up here. My heart wants them to, but my head still says we are a year or two away from contending for SoCon titles
    3-UTC-I really didn't expect these guys to be here this year, but I think they stand a better chance than ETSU of remaining in the mix. I think they rebound this week after losing two in a row.
    4-Furman This is just a big clump. I expect that 2 if not three of these teams will be in the mix before it is over.
    4-The Citadel
    4-Mercer
    4-Samford
    8-VMI-I am going to get grief for this one, I am sure. WCU beat VMI, WCU has three wins. But of those three wins, only two were FCS and between those two teams they currently only have one victory. I think VMI will spoil someone's season this year. I am not sure that WCU will be a factor going forward
    9-WCU-see above

Mercer @ Yale-Not real sure why I am making this pick...just a gut feeling.

Wofford @ Furman-going with the home team here

ETSU @ The Citadel-William B. Greene Jr is a hard place for the visiting team to win. The same can't be said for us on road games. I want the Bucs, to prove me wrong, but I am not sure we are there yet.

VMI @ Samford-I think VMI will spoil someone's season this year....but not this week

UTC @ WCU-I think UTC ends their losing streak here.

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    Whoa! I know you have good reason to dislike Samford, but I'm thinking you wouldn't want to 'bet the farm' on THAT prediction.
    My brain says Samford wins 38-28

But my heart says it'll be something different. I wouldn't bet the farm, no, it's just a feeling. Maybe it's wishful thinking. I honestly still don't know what to make of Samford quite yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I'm sure it is just coincidental that you rank highly the teams Wofford has played, but not the ones they haven't (VMI notwithstanding).
    spurious relationship. Wofford's only played 3 socon games. The rankings I put forward were a crapshoot, but no one is ranked above someone they lost to. It's a lot more obvious who deserves what ranking when you put their record next to them:

Wofford 4-1
    ETSU 5-1
    Chattanooga 4-2
    Citadel 1-3
    Mercer 3-2
    Furman 1-3
    Samford 2-4
    Western 3-2
    VMI 0-5

Say what you want about the top 5, but they either have a winning record or beat a team with a winning record that wasn't Western Carolina or a D2 team. Bottom 4 can't say that yet and Western Carolina is bad. The Citadel being at the top half of the conference may be a #hottake, but they've easily had the hardest schedule thus far and they've been competitive in every single game they've played.

My brain says Samford wins 38-28

But my heart says it'll be something different. I wouldn't bet the farm, no, it's just a feeling. Maybe it's wishful thinking. I honestly still don't know what to make of Samford. quite yet.

spurious relationship. Wofford's only played 3 socon games. The rankings I put forward were a crapshoot, but no one is ranked above someone they lost to. It's a lot more obvious who deserves what ranking when you put their record next to them:

Wofford 4-1
    ETSU 5-1
    Chattanooga 4-2
    Citadel 1-3
    Mercer 3-2
    Furman 1-3
    Samford 2-4
    Western 3-2
    VMI 0-5

Say what you want about the top 5, but they either have a winning record or beat a team with a winning record that wasn't Western Carolina or a D2 team. Bottom 4 can't say that yet. The Citadel being at the top half of the conference may be a #hottake, but they've easily had the hardest schedule thus far and they've been competitive in every single game they've played.
    You are just creating your own subjective rules to justify your rankings. That's fine, but call it what it is.

You justify the Citadel's season by noting their difficult season, but don't offer the same justification for Furman. Furman's competition this season is a combined 18-4. If they'd played Colgate, it would be 23-4 (and likely 24-4 as Elon also had their game cancelled against a winnable W&M team)

So you'll excuse me if I don't fawn over the Citadel's schedule.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

You are just creating your own subjective rules to justify your rankings. That's fine, but call it what it is.

You justify the Citadel's season by noting their difficult season, but don't offer the same justification for Furman. Furman's competition this season is a combined 18-4. If they'd played Colgate, it would be 23-4 (and likely 24-4 as Elon also had their game cancelled against a winnable W&M team)

The Citadel didn't blow a 3 score lead in the fourth quarter or get blown out by any of their opponents. Having a hard schedule is only part of the equation.

I'd like the citadel over VMI, Western and ETSU and it would be a toss up against Furman and Samford.

Chattanooga should beat VMI and western, and with the way Mercer and Furman are playing on defense, that'll be a toss up too. That would put them at at least 6-5, which would be better half the conference.

Meanwhile, creating subjective rules to justify ones rankings is literally the point of this thread. You haven't listed your own rankings because you also know it's a crap shoot and Furman doesn't look good so you're tearing down rankings xeyerollsx

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AGS FCS Champion

I think it was the combination of the hard schedule AND the actual competitiveness combined. We were competitive in all 4. It wasn't just the just the SOS. I know we are a good team. But the Dogs just are not playing all 4 quarters like as winning team should, hence our record. We should have lost at Mercer, but then again,we should have probably beaten Chatty. In other words, still too inconsistent. I am sure we can beat any team in the conf. But we can just as easily lose to any team as well. We really are pretty young still. I know everyone says that, but we got a lot of F/RS-F, and So starting. 8/22 starters and 22/44 on 2 deep. Especially at the key Oline.