Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Re: What's Wrong With the Patriot League

Quote Originally Posted by Sader87 View Post
    I'm just glad we built a $90MM practice facility so we can now keep games with Bucknell close....
    while at Bucknell we continue to wait for approval to raise funds for a new field house for football which was supposed to be included in the last capital campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin' Man View Post
    I think that Doc QB was referring to a school's TOTAL budget, not just the athletic department budget.
    These numbers can be deceiving given the relative size of the institutions. Football at Lafayette represents 3.9% of the total operating expenses in 2017, while at Georgetown it was 0.17%.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    These numbers can be deceiving given the relative size of the institutions. Football at Lafayette represents 3.9% of the total operating expenses in 2017, while at Georgetown it was 0.17%.
    Lack of scholarships makes a material difference in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Z View Post
    Correct, huge difference between taking on an Associate Member, a three year commitment that must be renewed, compared to a Full Member which is essentially permanent (unless the school chooses to leave). Towson was always viewed as a temporary, expedient solution for both parties. Hofstra was judged against a much higher standard in determining if they should be extended full membership.
    It must have been quite a high standard.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by The Boogie Down View Post
    Never made sense to me how the PL would turn away Hofstra but would then somehow accept Towson State. Especially since Hofstra wanted in for all sports.
    Couple things. First, at the time, I think the "Council" looked down no Hofstra and did not want them for all-sports. However, Towson only was looking for the place-holder league until they had their act ready to move on to the CAA. Therefore, the Council was willing to "put up" with Towson knowing it was only short-term. In retrospect, a mistake in light of current options. Of course, the ride to Hempstead is not fun, either!
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Couple things. First, at the time, I think the "Council" looked down no Hofstra and did not want them for all-sports. However, Towson only was looking for the place-holder league until they had their act ready to move on to the CAA. Therefore, the Council was willing to "put up" with Towson knowing it was only short-term. In retrospect, a mistake in light of current options. Of course, the ride to Hempstead is not fun, either!
    How much did Towson's ties to the old East Coast Conference have in their addition as an associate member for football? I'm pretty sure the PL didn't sponsor bball until 1990 or 1991. The familiarity with the Tigers athletic department had to be important. Who was in the ECC? Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, Drexel, Rider and Towson? Was it an all-sports conference? I remember the '88 title over Towson and very little beyond that.

The PL loves to tout their academic pedigree but the fact remains that prior to the league's formation its member's really didn't discriminate who they kept company with athletically. If anything, geography seemed to matter most.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    How much did Towson's ties to the old East Coast Conference have in their addition as an associate member for football? I'm pretty sure the PL didn't sponsor bball until 1990 or 1991. The familiarity with the Tigers athletic department had to be important. Who was in the ECC? Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, Drexel, Rider and Towson? Was it an all-sports conference? I remember the '88 title over Towson and very little beyond that.

The PL loves to tout their academic pedigree but the fact remains that prior to the league's formation its member's really didn't discriminate who they kept company with athletically. If anything, geography seemed to matter most.
    The academic discrimination started with Likins and Brooks listening to the Ivies. Association withe Ivies seemed a great move up. Didnt quite work out as they anticipated at least athletically. Back in my day( said my old codger voice ) we played a few Ivies but our group was Lehigh,Bucknell,Pards,UD, Gettysburg and Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    Lack of scholarships makes a material difference in that regard.
    If Georgetown had a $6M football budget the percentage would only jump to 0.54%.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

If Georgetown had a $6M football budget the percentage would only jump to 0.54%.
    Interesting.

Not too many Medical Schools in the PL.

Again, GU could dominate if they chose to. They choose not to.