Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With the Patriot League

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's Wrong With the Patriot League

Entering the second week of October, the Patriot League has a lot of questions ahead of it. Colgate is 5-0 while the rest of the league is a combined 6-27. Over and above the sheer numbers, this thread will hopefully examine the root causes of the league's underperformance and suggest some concrete steps to remedy the situation.

This could take a while, of course.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

My Team
    Colgate

Re: What's Wrong With the Patriot League

Varying emphasis among the programs.

Roster limits are unrealistic.

My Team
    Ampipe

Since THEY happen to be the academic and athletic benchmarks that we seem to always return home to, perhaps the title of this thread should be "What's Right With the Ivy League"....
    “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Since THEY happen to be the academic and athletic benchmarks that we seem to always return home to, perhaps the title of this thread should be "What's Right With the Ivy League"....
    $$$$$$
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

My Team
    Ampipe

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    $$$$$$
    LFN,

I just went and reviewed endowment information...and I almost threw up. Some quick math reveals that if you add up the ENTIRE football playing endowments of the PL, they fall somewhere between Cornell at $6.8 billion and Columbia at $10 billion (but much closer to Cornell). What I didn't realize is how far the big three have pulled ahead of everyone else. Those schools literally don't need to charge tuition.
    “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    LFN,

I just went and reviewed endowment information...and I almost threw up. Some quick math reveals that if you add up the ENTIRE football playing endowments of the PL, they fall somewhere between Cornell at $6.8 billion and Columbia at $10 billion (but much closer to Cornell). What I didn't realize is how far the big three have pulled ahead of everyone else. Those schools literally don't need to charge tuition.
    Malcom Gladwell has a podcast called Revisionist History and did an episode on endowments in higher education and how the rich just keep getting richer. The top ones in the Ivy League could essentially never charge tuition again for any student ever and still be increasing the endowment every year from investment gains. And people keep giving them huge donations.

What does a $10M donation mean to Harvard?...not much...a drop in the bucket.

What would the same donation mean to any number of other schools across the country?...huge...they'd get a building named after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Too much rumination and perseveration ?
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Coaching and to a lesser extent roster limits.

AGS FCS Champion

you have opened a Pandora's box of issues for the PL.
    Chronologically.
    Recruiting,
    Pl took too long to learn the ins and outs of scholarship recruiting.The first 3 years some individual stars were signed but overall we recruited the same prospects as we sought pre scholarship

Carryover IvyLite restrictions
    We retained Ivy redshirt rules and adopted a League wide AI. Both put us at a severe disadvantage vs the CAA and currently the NEC also.

Roster and scholarship caps
    Both promulgated to ease the financial issues for some PL teams. Even with those some PL teams are not even at our 60 schollie cap.

One can argue the weight to be given to any of these issue but it is abundantly clear that the totality of these self imposed restrictions make it extremely difficult to compete at an OOC level that we want.If we dont make some neceesary changes our only option will be to become a parochial insular league like the Ivies with an OOC of PFL and lower level teams. It is up to the Council of Presidents to decide and act.

Top FCS Ruler

the league never figured out scholly football and have actually gone backwards either get real coaches or drop schollies