Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: LIU Going D1 in all sports

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole View Post
    Agreed - 100%

Returning to an 8-game league schedule is the best news for the NEC in a while. This should eliminate the need to schedule D-II teams. For most schools it will likely mean 1 guarantee game on the road (at FBS/CAA/MVFC) and 2 games vs. FCS (Patriot/Ivy/Pioneer/MEAC/Big South) opponents.

NEC Football 2019
    1. Bryant
    2. Central Connecticut
    3. Duquesne
    4. Long Island
    5. Merrimack
    6. Robert Morris
    7. Sacred Heart
    8. Saint Francis
    9. Wagner

I just hope that this isn't just a round robin of movement again. Factions of Bobby Mo, Bryant, CCSU and Duquesne have all expressed interest in moving on from the NEC whether for Basketball, Football or institutional reasons; but should those schools depart, a core of LIU, ST Francis, SHU, Wagner, Merrimack will not be attractive to many schools outside of Bentley and New Haven. I don't think Pace has an appetite to move, Stonehill? AIC? 9 is a very good number to have should any of the aforementioned schools leave

Quote Originally Posted by Danielr11220 View Post
    I have always been in favor of the NEC trading CCSU for the AE for Hartford creating an all private school conference (NEC) and an all public school conference (AE)

As for LIU, I wonder which sports will be played in Brooklyn (my guess Basketball and maybe baseball and soccer) and the rest will be played in Long Island, but who knows at this time.
    Again, a "trade" of CCSU for Hartford will never happen. However, America East remains at just 9 members and Men's Basketball must play a 16-game conference schedule, as most of the NCAA (major and mid-majors) are moving to a 20-game league schedule.

I detect an opening for America East to invite CCSU as the 10th member, only if CCSU was able to maintain football-affiliate membership in the NEC. I don't envision that happening in the near term, but it is a possibility. IMO, the AE has to look at getting to a 18-game basketball schedule soon.

Also, per Newsday:

Teams that will compete at the Post campus are baseball, menís and womenís cross country, equestrian, field hockey, football, menís and womenís golf, menís and womenís lacrosse, womenís rowing, womenís rugby, menís and womenís soccer, womenís tennis and menís wrestling.

The Brooklyn campus will be home to menís and womenís basketball, womenís bowling, womenís fencing, womenís ice hockey, softball, womenís swimming, menís and womenís track and field, womenís volleyball and womenís water polo.
    https://www.newsday.com/sports/colle...lyn-1.21416636

NEC Football Champions

2004 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010
    2017 - FCS Playoffs

How will football transition work? They're not starting from scratch at a D-I school, but they've got D-II players. When will they be playoff-eligible?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    AU used to have a football team, but I have no idea where they played. My best guess is that they played on the field currently occupied by the field hockey and lacrosse teams.

Either they need a new field somewhere, or they have to kick field hockey out (not happening).
    AU's last football game was played in 1941 I believe....campus has changed just a tad since then

Will the Patriot be the smallest conference in I-AA/FCS by 2020?
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

First Class FCS Advocate Danielr11220's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole View Post
    Again, a "trade" of CCSU for Hartford will never happen. However, America East remains at just 9 members and Men's Basketball must play a 16-game conference schedule, as most of the NCAA (major and mid-majors) are moving to a 20-game league schedule.

I detect an opening for America East to invite CCSU as the 10th member, only if CCSU was able to maintain football-affiliate membership in the NEC. I don't envision that happening in the near term, but it is a possibility. IMO, the AE has to look at getting to a 18-game basketball schedule soon.

Also, per Newsday:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/colle...lyn-1.21416636

Soccer moving to LI shocks me because its been a long tradition in Brooklyn

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/02/s...gn-to-liu.html

and
    https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/23/n...neighbors.html

a foul ball from a soft ball game once came crashing through a window of our class room near the library when we were working on a case study. Funny moment.

Congrats to NEC and LIU. Post has been a very good D2 football program. I dont think they will have much of a problem gearing up to D1

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Will the Patriot be the smallest conference in I-AA/FCS by 2020?
    Hopefully....

Awesome! Great to bring in a new school. FCS fits perfectly on Long Island for the Seawolves. Although they’ll play second fiddle FCS wise still great for the school and NEC.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    I guess this means Delaware State's stuck in the MEAC. Rats!
    This is the first thing that I thought about. Y'all are stuck with the kid that nobody wants.

2003 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Eastern Division Champions
    2004 SWAC Conference Champions
    2007 Liberty Bowl Champions(Hail State)
    3x 1st Team All SWAC/ 2007 2nd team All-SEC

BZ Nupe!