Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: LIU Going D1 in all sports

The current NEC football schools have to be really excited about this - no more need to schedule 5 OOC games each year and will guarantee 4 home games each year. It will be much easier for scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFlash View Post
    The current NEC football schools have to be really excited about this - no more need to schedule 5 OOC games each year and will guarantee 4 home games each year. It will be much easier for scheduling.
    Agreed - 100%

Returning to an 8-game league schedule is the best news for the NEC in a while. This should eliminate the need to schedule D-II teams. For most schools it will likely mean 1 guarantee game on the road (at FBS/CAA/MVFC) and 2 games vs. FCS (Patriot/Ivy/Pioneer/MEAC/Big South) opponents.

NEC Football 2019
    1. Bryant
    2. Central Connecticut
    3. Duquesne
    4. Long Island
    5. Merrimack
    6. Robert Morris
    7. Sacred Heart
    8. Saint Francis
    9. Wagner

NEC Football Champions

2004 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010
    2017 - FCS Playoffs

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

Did the NEC know this was in the works when they invited Merrimack? Getting to 9 for football is ideal, and since LIU already had basketball in the league, keeps them at 11 for basketball, allowing a 20-game round-robin.

Quote Originally Posted by dbackjon View Post
    Did the NEC know this was in the works when they invited Merrimack? Getting to 9 for football is ideal, and since LIU already had basketball in the league, keeps them at 11 for basketball, allowing a 20-game round-robin.
    I would assume this was an overall plan, although who knows, maybe LIU approached them after Merrimack made their announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by dbackjon View Post
    Yes, I assume so. LIU likely had discussions with the league about their plans; LIU Post rumors have been going on for years.

I had a feeling LIU would not maintain 2 separate programs at the D-I level. Their only options were 1. status quo (Brooklyn in DI and Post in D-II) or 2. merging at the DI level.

From a scheduling perspective this is fantastic for both NEC basketball and football!

As much as I like this positive news for the NEC, I still would like to see CCSU move its athletics to America East (if we can keep football in the NEC).

NEC Football Champions

2004 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010
    2017 - FCS Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Danielr11220 View Post
    Which would you rate the chances for each of those?
    Loyola or BU could do it in a heartbeat, but won't.

First Class FCS Advocate Danielr11220's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole View Post
    Yes, I assume so. LIU likely had discussions with the league about their plans; LIU Post rumors have been going on for years.

I had a feeling LIU would not maintain 2 separate programs at the D-I level. Their only options were 1. status quo (Brooklyn in DI and Post in D-II) or 2. merging at the DI level.

From a scheduling perspective this is fantastic for both NEC basketball and football!

As much as I like this positive news for the NEC, I still would like to see CCSU move its athletics to America East (if we can keep football in the NEC).

I have always been in favor of the NEC trading CCSU for the AE for Hartford creating an all private school conference (NEC) and an all public school conference (AE)

As for LIU, I wonder which sports will be played in Brooklyn (my guess Basketball and maybe baseball and soccer) and the rest will be played in Long Island, but who knows at this time.

So Pioneers basketball will shuffle off into history?

I see they removed the track that used to circle old Hickox Field, which once was listed as 5,200 capacity. Recent renovation into Bethpage Federal Credit Union Stadium include 3,034 new seats (816 seatbacks), bringing the total to 4,083 seats. Probably enough for the NEC for now, unless they have ambitions while sitting between Fordham and Columbia to the west and Stony Brook to the east.

OK, not a stadium

Edit: Looks like they have plans to uprgrade the vistors' side grandstand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LIUPost.jpg  
    Last edited by UAalum72; October 3rd, 2018 at 02:42 PM.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post

If only one of the Patriot League members would add football - are you listening, American?
    AU used to have a football team, but I have no idea where they played. My best guess is that they played on the field currently occupied by the field hockey and lacrosse teams.

Either they need a new field somewhere, or they have to kick field hockey out (not happening).

I guess this means Delaware State's stuck in the MEAC. Rats!