Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: LIU Going D1 in all sports

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    So am I summarizing this correctly in terms of FCS transitions?

In 2019, Merrimack and Long Island join FCS from D2 (The Post campus is what is technically joining D1/FCS as the two programs "fuse" into one D1 athletic department and it becomes a two campus university). They will both be immediately be joining the NEC.

It sounds like Long Island will be immediately playoff eligible since Brooklyn is already D1 and they can use that as a work around. D1 Brooklyn is "adding football off campus" at Post.
    Not exactly.

Correct, LIU is a full FCS and NEC member beginning in 2019. Although the football team at LIU-Post was previously a D-II program, it is now being "absorbed" or "sponsored" by the existing D-I athletic program in Brooklyn. The consolidated athletic programs, with 2 campus locations, will be now known as Division I member Long Island University (LIU). LIU-Post (and LIU-Brooklyn) no longer exists as NCAA programs.

On the other hand, Merrimack is considered a transitioning FCS member and will not play a full NEC schedule in 2019. They do have 3 NEC teams on the schedule this year as non-conference games. I'm not sure when the Warriors will start to play a full NEC schedule, but they will not become a full member of the DI conference until 2021-24, after the completion of a four year NCAA Division I reclassification period.
    Last edited by aceinthehole; May 15th, 2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarified merging of athletic programs - not universities.

NEC Football Champions

2004 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010
    2017 - FCS Playoffs

With the NEC now approaching nine schools, the seven team Patriot League becomes the smallest conference in the subdivision.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

From an academic standpoint, are the schools themselves merging into one university?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgtw View Post
    From an academic standpoint, are the schools themselves merging into one university?

No - because it was already a single university with two separate campuses and athletic programs.

My understanding is that LIU has always had a single accreditation that covered both campuses.

Long Island University (LIU) was founded on the principle of educating and empowering men and women from all walks of life. Through our mission of Access and Excellence, the LIU community remains committed, above all else, to the educational needs and interests of our diverse student body. We strive to cultivate and expand academic, professional, artistic, and co-curricular opportunities, enabling students to realize their full potential as ethically grounded, intellectually vigorous, and socially responsible global citizens.

LIU was founded in 1926 in Brooklyn, N.Y. Over the course of nine decades of academic excellence, LIU has become one of America’s largest comprehensive private universities, offering more than 500 academic programs across multiple campuses spanning the New York metropolitan area, overseas, and online.

Located in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn, the city’s fastest growing economic and cultural neighborhood, LIU Brooklyn has been a cornerstone of progressive education for nearly 90 years and is home to the University’s oldest school, LIU Pharmacy (Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences), then the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy, originally founded in 1891.

Recognizing the educational needs of the growing number of families moving to the suburbs, in 1951 the University purchased the estate of Mrs. Joseph E. Davis, better known as Marjorie Merriweather Post. Just 27 miles east of New York City on Long Island’s idyllic Gold Coast, LIU Post is a scenic, historic, and scholarly campus that offers a small-school environment, but with the access and resources of a major metropolitan university.

Through a one-of-a-kind bachelor’s degree education without borders, LIU Global prepares students for careers as global leaders in business, policy, humanitarian relief, social entrepreneurship, economic development, and environmental sustainability through an immersive learning experience spanning eight countries on four continents.

From the shores of Long Island, to the epicenter of business and tech innovation in Brooklyn, to the far corners of the world, LIU offers a unique college experience for every student seeking academic enrichment and professional opportunity. Upon graduation, our students join a community of more than 200,000 alumni to become global leaders in fields that include the arts, health sciences, media, education, pharmacy, business, technology, public service, and professional sports.
    http://liu.edu/Office-of-the-President/LIU-Facts

NEC Football Champions

2004 - 2005 - 2009 - 2010
    2017 - FCS Playoffs

First Class FCS Ruler blackbeard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole View Post
    Such a shame to drop the Blackbirds mascot. I understand why they did it, doesn't mean we have to like it.
    2013 and 2014 NEC Champions!!!

I'm offended by Sharks. They kill other animals below them in the food chain and even humans who dare to enter their natural habitat. Ruthless killers. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    I'm offended by Sharks. They kill other animals below them in the food chain and even humans who dare to enter their natural habitat. Ruthless killers. All of them.
    Sad thing is....I wouldn't be surprised if a student(s) protest the name because if promotes violence and rape culture. I remember that fiasco when UCONN came out with their new husky logo. I actually like the change.

2016 CAA Pick'em Champ!

UNH 14'

I found it interesting that LIU will only have 2 home games this year, can't generate much revenue if any on only 2 home games. Any chance they pick up an extra home game for Week 1 since it looks like their 1st game isn't until 9/7 which I believe would be week 2 of the upcoming season....

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/05/...as-new-mascot/

LIU won’t be the only school changing to Sharks. But unlike LIU, this was PC-driven.