Thread: LIU Going D1 in all sports

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Central Connecticut State

Re: LIU Going D1 in all sports

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    So am I summarizing this correctly in terms of FCS transitions?

In 2019, Merrimack and Long Island join FCS from D2 (The Post campus is what is technically joining D1/FCS as the two programs "fuse" into one D1 athletic department and it becomes a two campus university). They will both be immediately be joining the NEC.

It sounds like Long Island will be immediately playoff eligible since Brooklyn is already D1 and they can use that as a work around. D1 Brooklyn is "adding football off campus" at Post.
    Not exactly.

Correct, LIU is a full FCS and NEC member beginning in 2019. Although the football team at LIU-Post was previously a D-II program, it is now being "absorbed" or "sponsored" by the existing D-I athletic program in Brooklyn. The consolidated athletic programs, with 2 campus locations, will be now known as Division I member Long Island University (LIU). LIU-Post (and LIU-Brooklyn) no longer exists as NCAA programs.

On the other hand, Merrimack is considered a transitioning FCS member and will not play a full NEC schedule in 2019. They do have 3 NEC teams on the schedule this year as non-conference games. I'm not sure when the Warriors will start to play a full NEC schedule, but they will not become a full member of the DI conference until 2021-24, after the completion of a four year NCAA Division I reclassification period.
    Last edited by aceinthehole; May 15th, 2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarified merging of athletic programs - not universities.

Six-Time NEC Football Champions

2019 | 2017 | 2010 | 2009 | 2005 | 2004
    FCS Playoffs - 2019, 2017