Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion TheValleyRaider's Avatar

Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 3

Surprised not to see this thread yet, but wanted to make sure we have a space for our usual chatter. Keep us out of other people's threads, you know? Or at least as much as possible.

Rough weekend for the League, no question. Ivies get started this week as well, though not quite the IL-PL Challenge slate of season's past

COLGATE @ Furman

Yale @ HOLY CROSS

GEORGETOWN @ Dartmouth

BUCKNELL @ Penn

LEHIGH @ Navy

Stony Brook @ FORDHAM

Monmouth @ LAFAYETTE

Game of the Week: Raiders in SC to face a SoCon power, two teams hanging around the edge of the Top 25. You got a better option?
    Patriot League Champions - 1997 1999 2002 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2017 2018
    NCAA Playoffs - 1982 1983 1997 1998 1999 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2018
    NCAA Championship Game - 2003
    1932 - Undefeated, Untied, Unscored Upon
    Let's Go 'Gate!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Re: Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 3

COLGATE @ Furman

Yale @ HOLY CROSS

GEORGETOWN @ Dartmouth

BUCKNELL @ Penn

LEHIGH @ Navy

Stony Brook @ FORDHAM

Monmouth
    @ LAFAYETTE
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

Quote Originally Posted by TheValleyRaider View Post

Rough weekend for the League, no question.
    Doesn't look like it gets any easier this week.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    Doesn't look like it gets any easier this week.
    I agree. After 1-6 last week 1-6 or 0-7 seems very possible. Not good. The league is on pace to be as bad or worse than last year in the OOC...
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

AGS FCS Champion TheValleyRaider's Avatar

Gotta get my picks in as well. Comments about it not being a great weekend stand, though I did go 4-2, so hurrah for me. 10-2 on the season. I'm usually one of the optimists, but it's hard to improve that record with this slate of matchups.

Colgate at Furman Colgate I am hesitant about this one, given our three previous meetings with the Paladins have been noncompetitive beatdowns. This is probably some kind of matchup problem for us, but does feel a little different given Furman's performance so far this year. Defense is in pretty good shape so far this year, so hopefully the offense starts to gel more consistently down in South Carolina. Hurricane willing, of course.

Yale at Holy Cross Yale This is quite an opening slate for Chesney and the Crusaders, facing 2 league title favorites and a solid Power 5 FBS. Results haven't been unexpected so far, though the Saders showed some fight in Hamilton. On the plus side, they finally get a game in Worcester. The other hand? They're still not at the level of an Ivy favorite, not one expected to be as strong as old Eli.

Georgetown at Dartmouth Dartmouth I can't say with complete confidence that Campbell was G'town's last, best chance at another win this year (they still have the entire PL slate in front of them), but it doesn't look great from here, starting with the Big Green. Hoyas have wanted Ivy matchups, and so they're going to get one. Dartmouth isn't quite the contender they were in previous years, but mid-level Ivy is better than low-level Patriot.

Bucknell at Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Bucknell followed up a decent showing in Week 1 with a dismal response in Week 2. The endemic lack of offense will continue to bite this team, though they may pull a Georgetown and drop big points on some unsuspecting and overmatched team. That will have to be in the future, as Penn is not overmatched here.

Lehigh at Navy Navy The Mountain Hawks dip their taloned toes into the FBS pool, which feels like the appropriate metaphor given the opponent is Navy. Annapolis is a nice town to visit, and the gameday experience at the Academy is fun for players and fans. Well, not the part where Lehigh gets run over by a much better team, but the real victory will be the memories they make along the way.

Stony Brook at Fordham Stony Brook I wasn't surprised to see the Rams go down on Saturday, but not like that, given the fight they showed against Charlotte. Comments stand about Fordham's ability to make noise in the League race (whatever that is worth), but I doubt we see that in this matchup. The Seawolves are probably better than the Spiders, which is not a great sign. A bounceback from the Rams? Sure. Actually winning? Well, I'll be pulling for them.

Monmouth at Lafayette Monmouth The home team has won every meeting in this series, all two of them, with the Hawks winning in NJ last season (the Pards' victory was in 2002). So, the game being in Easton is a nice plus for Lafayette. Okay, fine, so it's the only plus here. Fringe playoff contender against a fringe bottom-dweller doesn't usually end well for the latter, wherever the game is being played.
    Patriot League Champions - 1997 1999 2002 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2017 2018
    NCAA Playoffs - 1982 1983 1997 1998 1999 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2018
    NCAA Championship Game - 2003
    1932 - Undefeated, Untied, Unscored Upon
    Let's Go 'Gate!

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh

Colgate/Furman should be a close shave. Will any fur be left after the Paladins get "pasted"....Raiders, 28-24

Crusaders feeling 'cross' after last week's debacle and Yale looking to start strong on its season. Yale is a lock, 35-14

Hoyas make a long trek in to Indian country. Georgetown feeling Green after Saturday. Dartmouth 38-17

The Penn is mightier than the Bison chips. Hopefully, the mess is cleaned up on Franklin Field's artificial turf before the following week. Penn 41-17.

Lehigh limps into Annapolis a single dimension team without Bragalone. Maybe an a "new and improved" D for Lehigh, but they will get swept out by the Navy Tide. 45-21.

Fordham seeking some pebbles of granite after getting chisled last week. SBU has the bigger stones in the brook. 49-19

Leotards look for a run in their stockings and might consider just taking a pass this week and sleeping in. Might be more productive. Monmouth 36-6
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by TheValleyRaider View Post

Hoyas have wanted Ivy matchups, and so they're going to get one.
    Georgetown is absent from a lot of Ivy future schedules. Cornell and Columbia in 2019, then just Columbia in 2020 and 2021, and that's it for now.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Georgetown is absent from a lot of Ivy future schedules. Cornell and Columbia in 2019, then just Columbia in 2020 and 2021, and that's it for now.
    Any insight on why that is? Dartmouth seemed to enjoy visiting DC a few years back.

While Gate has the best shot of them all, especially with the chance of weather keep the score down, I've gotta go against the PL across the board again.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Lehigh

Navy 45 - lehigh 9