Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Expert

Hurricane Florence

With the threat of a major hurricane hitting the east coast around Friday, are any contingency plans in place for games...especially in the Carolinas and Virginia?
    First they came for the journalists and I said nothing. Then no one could find out who they came for after that.

Re: Hurricane Florence

The football-less wimps at UNC-W have already cancelled classes and all athletic events for the week.
    Since there's no real travel involved, the Citadel and CSU can wait to the last minute to decide what to do with their games.
    FU-Colgate, I would expect to be a safe bet to go on if Colgate can arrange travel to Greenville before Friday and travel back home on Sunday or later. Furman plays on high ground on a plastic field.
    SC State is at home, but short of a direct hit could likely play.

The games most likely to be cancelled/rescheduled would be the South Carolina game as Columbia is prone to flooding and the Coastal game which may take a direct hit.

It is not common for hurricanes to turn northward from their projections as they near the coast, so Virginia games could also be affected.

Master FCS Advocate Catamount87's Avatar

True that they do make a turn, some more strongly than others. Flo doesn't look like she'll make such a turn.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...sages#contents

AGS FCS Expert

First they came for the journalists and I said nothing. Then no one could find out who they came for after that.

I considered posting a thread on this, but you (Daytripper) beat me to it.

The big concern with this storm will probably be flooding due to storm projections saying the storm will slow down, with most of Virginia and nearby areas experiencing the greatest impact. The location where the storm comes on-shore (projected to be southeast North Carolina at this point, but it could be anywhere between Savannah, GA and Virginia Beach, VA) could also be significantly impacted.

If the storm follows the current predictions, I actually expect many games to be impacted. Games that could be impacted include the following (focused on areas between the Carolinas and southern portion of Pennsylvania, with some nearby areas also included); all times are Eastern Time:

*Savannah State at Howard, 1 PM (Washington, DC)
    *Colgate at Furman, 1 PM (Greenville, SC)
    *Stetson at Presbyterian, 1 PM (Clinton, SC)
    *East Tennessee State at VMI, 1:30 PM (Lexington, VA)
    *St. Francis (PA) at Richmond, 2 PM (Richmond, VA)

*Bucknell at Penn, 3 PM (Philadelphia, PA)
    *Cornell at Delaware, 3:30 PM (Newark, DE)
    *Towson at Villanova, 3:30 PM (Villanova, PA)
    *Lehigh at Navy, 3:30 PM (Annapolis, MD)
    *North Carolina Central at South Carolina State, 6 PM (Orangeburg, SC)
    *Tennessee State at Hampton, 6 PM (Hampton, VA)
    *Elon at William & Mary, 6 PM (Williamsburg, VA)
    *Robert Morris at James Madison, 6 PM (Harrisonburg, VA)
    *Charleston Southern at The Citadel, 6 PM (Charleston, SC)

*Western Carolina at Gardner-Webb, 6 PM (Boiling Springs, NC)
    *Norfolk State at Liberty, 6 PM (Lynchburg, VA)
    *Campbell at Coastal Carolina, 7 PM (Conway, SC)

*Guilford at Davidson, 7 PM (Davidson, NC)

The games shown in bold are the games that IMO could be most impacted based on the currently-projected storm path and rain projections.
    Last edited by CHIP72; September 10th, 2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post

*Savannah State at Howard, 1 PM (Washington, DC)
    I'm glad Georgetown v. Dartmouth is in Hanover on Saturday.

AGS FCS Champion

Hurricane might really mess with my parents vacation plans for next week...

Legion Field in Birmingham had a couple of games last year when the hurricane hit Florida. UAB is at home this weekend but I could see them hosting some games on Thursday or Friday if they are rescheduled.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CockyGeek View Post
    Legion Field in Birmingham had a couple of games last year when the hurricane hit Florida. UAB is at home this weekend but I could see them hosting some games on Thursday or Friday if they are rescheduled.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    We have a bye this week...

And a premier stadium...

And we're close to where the hurricane will be but not in the path....

So that means our officials won't take advantage of the situation like normal. Another wasted opportunity.

I know I'm keeping a close eye on this storm and projected rain impacts in the DC area because I was planning on attending THREE sports events on Saturday (all times Eastern Time):

CFB: Temple at Maryland, 12 PM
    CFB: Lehigh at Navy, 3:30 PM
    MLB: White Sox at Orioles, 7 PM

If the current forecast is reasonably accurate, it appears likely the White Sox/Orioles game in Baltimore won't be played on Saturday due to Hurricane Florence-related rain. As for the two football games, there are reasonable opportunities to reschedule both of them (coincidentally to dates that would work for me):

*Lehigh/Navy: Both teams have a bye week scheduled for Saturday 9/29, so the game could probably be easily moved from Saturday 9/15 to Saturday 9/29, assuming no other events are planned for Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on 9/29.

*Temple/Maryland: The teams have different bye weeks; Temple's is scheduled for Saturday 10/27, while Maryland's is scheduled for Saturday 9/29. However, if the University of Illinois is cooperative, there is a straightforward way to keep both Temple's and Maryland's schedules "full". Illinois is scheduled to play at Maryland on Saturday 10/27 (Temple's scheduled bye week), and the Fighting Illini's bye week, like Maryland's, is scheduled for Saturday 9/29. If Illinois agrees to move the Illinois/Maryland game from 10/27 to the teams' mutual bye week on 9/29, that would allow the Temple/Maryland game to be moved from 9/15 to 10/27.